Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2019 Corolla - Manuals not supplied?

Keith T

I took delivery of a brand new 19 Plate Corrolla 2 weeks ago. It was supplied with no manuals (car, Sat Nav, Radio etc) and no Service History booklet. The dealer tells me they haven't been printed yet? Has anyone else encountered this?

Before Frosty says it - do you need to change your profile car?

You might find there online manuals (usually one for car, one for infotainment) are ready sooner?  You only get a very basic handbook these days, and are expected to download the electric ones for the main detail.

8 hours ago, Keith T said:

I took delivery of a brand new 19 Plate Corrolla 2 weeks ago. It was supplied with no manuals (car, Sat Nav, Radio etc) and no Service History booklet. The dealer tells me they haven't been printed yet? Has anyone else encountered this?

As Pete says full manuals are probably available from Toyota in PDF format - try going through MyToyota for your car specific ones.

afaik Toyota just use a generic service book though these days rather than one specific to a range (although again with servicing being recorded against the car on MyToyota online no doubt they hope that they can do away with those over time).

1 hour ago, Heidfirst said:

...full manuals are probably available from Toyota in PDF format...

probably just as well.  The 2 manuals for my Prius come to just over 1,000 pages.  If there was a printed copy in the car it would probably knock another 1-2 mpg off!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm glad this wasnt just me! I got my Corolla Hybrid 9th March and came with no handbook/service book. Dealer is chasing (still) and will let me know when it arrives. The online pdf is 100's of pages long and I expect the physical handbook to be the same.

33 minutes ago, Chattacks said:

The online pdf is 100's of pages long and I expect the physical handbook to be the same.

Probably not. For the last four years or so Toyota have supplied abbreviated owners manuals with new cars - a lot thinner and saves paper, etc.

When I wanted physical copies of the full manuals (car & infotainment) for this Avensis I had to pay for them (iirc they were ~£30 each but the dealer paid for 1 & I paid for the other) - possibly the same for new Corolla & RAV (or indeed any new Toyota in the UK).

[also had to buy a thicker folder to hold them - bought a used 1 from eBay from an older car when full manuals were standard]

A younger generation wouldn’t probably be bothered having to use online manuals, those of a certain mature age hasn’t got used to the idea. Probably costs quite a bit to produce a 1000 page book, and if one manufacturer starts not printing can be sure others will follow to save costs and remain competitive.

Part of the expense of the paper full owners manual is that the print runs are low volume, which pushes costs up. 

I purchased mine from Parts-King.

3 hours ago, Catlover said:

A younger generation wouldn’t probably be bothered having to use online manuals, those of a certain mature age hasn’t got used to the idea. 

But what if you are out in the wilds with no mobile signal ... ? 😉

I keep a copy of my vehicle manuals, along with very many others, on an SD card in my phone, on my tablet and laptop.

Personally, I've preferred electronic documents since my early days in IT, which started in the 1970s.

I also find it handy to be able to search for words or phrases, or jump straight to a specific page - very useful in a 600+ page document.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

But what if you are out in the wilds with no mobile signal ... ? 😉

What would I want to do to my complex car it in the wilds - not much I suspect.

It's surprising, though, given the opportunities presented by electronic documents, that they haven't come up with s system where one enters their VIN (or registration), or at least completes a tick box page for the trim level and options fitted to their specific vehicle that results in a PDF (Portable Document Format) file with only the specific features of the user's own car - rather than hundred of pages about features that are not present, or as in the RAV4 documents, a raft of features not even available in the target country.

The latter point rubs further salt into the wound from the impression that Toyota UK feel UK customers aren't worthy of some of the features available elsewhere, even though it's clearly evident many of us would pay extra for some of them.

Owners manuals from other Japanese and Korean manufacturers are no different in being designed for a number of retail markets, rather than just one. New cars we've had from Honda, Hyundai, Mazda and Nissan are the same.

On 4/13/2019 at 11:22 AM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Probably not. For the last four years or so Toyota have supplied abbreviated owners manuals with new cars - a lot thinner and saves paper, etc.

Ahh I see. Its my first Toyota so assumed it would be the full version of the pdf. Either way I expect the dealer to give me something (not least the service book!). My previous car, a BMW had the handbook electronically in the iDrive. 

So, does anyone have a copy of the Uk 2019 manuals? Would it be possible to share them please? Last week I ordered the 2L Hatch but as it will take at least 3 month to arrive I don’t have a VIN to be able to download the manuals myself. This is the first Toyota an Hybrid I will own and I’m keen to have something to read to help pass the long weeks ahead

Hi Keith.

I took delivery of a corolla on the 11 of March .No manual or service book was supplied ,the dealer is trying to get them..

Since then If you pair a phone on bluetooth you can hear the person you have called but they cannot hear you,also when it gets dark the satnav screen is so bright it lights up the whole car & does not dim to an acceptable level

Again the dealer is saying that the phone issue is ongoing and needs a software update ,but as to the blinding light levels of the satnav they haven't a clue & have contacted Toyota directly.

I'm slightly disappointed as the Prius I had before was faultless ,but overall I am happy with the new car I just hope that I will get a service book before a service is due.

The owners manual supplied with new Toyotas is an abbreviated version. See my post of Tuesday 01.27am re downloading the full owners manual.

Hi Frosty.

If I had an abbreviated version I would be happy, I had a truncated version with my last Prius . But with the Corolla there was nothing ,when I pointed this out to the salesman he said it was in the glove box..No it was'nt ,In the boot ?  Again no, he then looked in all the new Corollas that had been delivered with mine. No Handbooks or service booklets were there .He has contacted Toyota & I am still waiting.

Well as I pointed out earlier, one can download the full owners manual - which will help you until you get the printed abbreviated version. It is your choice as to whether you wish to download the full manual now or wait for however long it takes.

20 hours ago, Tricky 159 said:

but as to the blinding light levels of the satnav they haven't a clue & have contacted Toyota directly.

Have you mentioned this before? If so can you remind us of your issue? (again there will be a full manual for the infotainment available to download foc)

To set the screen to dim with headlights on:

Turn headlights on

Press Menu

Toggle Day mode on/off

To increase outgoing call volume

Whilst in a call 

Select "Transmit volume" from LH menu and increase as required.

OM12L35E.pdf OM12L60E.pdf

On 4/21/2019 at 12:17 AM, Tricky 159 said:

Hi Keith.

I took delivery of a corolla on the 11 of March .No manual or service book was supplied ,the dealer is trying to get them..

Same here but I haven't bothered to ask the dealer. They are readily available online.

Since then If you pair a phone on Bluetooth you can hear the person you have called but they cannot hear you,also when it gets dark the satnav screen is so bright it lights up the whole car & does not dim to an acceptable level

Not experienced either of those issues. Only things I've encountered so far are:

* iPod doesn't automatically start playing when engine is started. In fact the audio system is off and I have to turn it on then select my iPod. Sometimes although the iPod starts playing the sound comes out of its internal speaker.

* On one occasion the sat nav stopped outputting audio instructions for a few turns (it still displayed them on the dashboard though).

* Fuel consumption display (I have the hybrid 1.8 version) seems to be shockingly inaccurate (claims over 30% better than my pump to pump measurements).