Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What is the point of hybrids

Longcock

19 hours ago, Longcock said:

I honestly think hybrids are going to be on the scrap heap and a lot of people will loose a fortune they are too expensive for most people unless they get a lot of finance they aren't what we need at the end of the day we still need to produce petrol for them that in itself can't be good. Just my opinion 

Not anytime soon

You seem to think it is something new, a fad, here today gone tomorrow, it's not, it's been here 22 years so far. Half of Toyota sales on some models are Hybrid, the RAV is now ONLY available in Hybrid, it will be here to stay until something else comes along, whether that is all electric or Hydrogen. Nothing is forever, it changes all the time

• Like 1

Do you work for toyota? 

1 minute ago, Longcock said:

Do you work for toyota? 

I do 

This has everything to do with it as people with hybrids probably will be told to get rid they are to dirty and don't meet standards anyway this is starting to be boring no offence but I think there is going to be a lot of upset and skint people let's please move on to something else please and sorry for upsetting a few people but it was good crack I thought 

7 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

I do 

I thought but a few people sound like they do

3 minutes ago, Longcock said:

This has everything to do with it as people with hybrids probably will be told to get rid they are to dirty and don't meet standards 

Hardly likely, diesels will be long gone before Hybrid, bet ya 😉 

The only people who work for Toyota on Toyota Owners Club are Parts-King, who is one of the club's sponsors (Lindop Toyota), and Devon Aygo. Both work for dealerships.

Aside from that, as per the club's disclaimers, TOC has no association with Toyota GB or Toyota Motor Corporation.

6 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

Obviously it's the covenant isn't it but what will happen with our classic cars 

3 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The only people who work for Toyota on Toyota Owners Club are Parts-King, who is one of the club's sponsors (Lindop Toyota), and Devon Aygo. Both work for dealerships.

Aside from that, as per the club's disclaimers, TOC has no association with Toyota GB or Toyota Motor Corporation.

I did think this as they really do seem clued up

1 minute ago, Longcock said:

Obviously it's the covenant isn't it but what will happen with our classic cars 

They will be consigned to history :crybaby: :crybaby:  OR, more likely, you will be able to drive them for limited mileage too and from an event or for MOT, but slowly they will be scrapped and new technology will come in

I have a 1999 bmw e46 coupe 328ci with mods and I've had it for years I love it i know it's not a classic but still it is to me it's just beautiful to drive and can't imagine life without it 😭

1 hour ago, Parts-King said:

It's an inevitable progression due to emissions regulations:

Old diesels and petrols sold before the days of emission controls got phased out first, then 'modern' diesels and petrols (soon), then hybrids (in a decade or two).  Finally we will be left with zero-emissions vehicles only.

This is likely to continue to be the case for sales of new cars only.  Classics, beloved of Longcock and others, will always be with us but the numbers will dwindle as they rust away.  I can't see the London to Brighton run going away any time soon.  The Fred Dibnah types will still be driving coal powered steam vehicles.  If you like older technology then buy an old car - there are still plenty available if you don't mind the constant fettling.  It's not really an issue as the numbers will be so small as to have negligible effect on the environment.

2 hours ago, Vortipor said:

It's an inevitable progression due to emissions regulations:

Old diesels and petrols sold before the days of emission controls got phased out first, then 'modern' diesels and petrols (soon), then hybrids (in a decade or two).  Finally we will be left with zero-emissions vehicles only.

This is likely to continue to be the case for sales of new cars only.  Classics, beloved of Longcock and others, will always be with us but the numbers will dwindle as they rust away.  I can't see the London to Brighton run going away any time soon.  The Fred Dibnah types will still be driving coal powered steam vehicles.  If you like older technology then buy an old car - there are still plenty available if you don't mind the constant fettling.  It's not really an issue as the numbers will be so small as to have negligible effect on the environment.

Fred dibnah yes I did like watching him and the old cars I used to own are well out my price range now I do really wish I kept some if only? .I do miss them and remember the good times and the bad lol.I don't think many modern cars will ever become classics or even remembered they all look pretty much the same to me don't get me wrong once my daughter's are left home and uni I will have more disposable funds and would love to buy an old car and a newish one but would never buy a brand new car maybe it all comes down to priority with me 

• 2 months later...

I bought my Yaris Hybrid due to the mechanical simplicity. Environmental concerns were second, and then only because this meant lower fuel consumption!

I must drive automatics, and my previous torque-converter automatic was a reliability nightmare. My hybrid has just rolled over 40k in 3.6 years, and is as good as the day I bought it.

She needs a bit of TLC inside and out, but you could put it back in the showroom.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

I bought my Yaris Hybrid due to the mechanical simplicity. Environmental concerns were second, and then only because this meant lower fuel consumption!

I must drive automatics, and my previous torque-converter automatic was a reliability nightmare. My hybrid has just rolled over 40k in 3.6 years, and is as good as the day I bought it.

She needs a bit of TLC inside and out, but you could put it back in the showroom.

I must be missing something here.  How is an internal combustion engine PLUS an electric motor system mechanically simpler than just having an ICE?

Maybe you are comparing Toyota hybrid technology to that of other manufacturers?

4 hours ago, Vortipor said:

I must be missing something here.  How is an internal combustion engine PLUS an electric motor system mechanically simpler than just having an ICE?

I imagine transmission

Yes, Toyota hybrid synergy drive ( now called “self charging hybrid”) is simpler than conventional petrol or diesel drive trains, however hybrids from other manufacturers like Vw, Mercedes BMW etc ., their hybrid drive trains are more complicated, and here is why people love Toyota- Lexus hybrids, well that is the point of a hybrid car:

1. Reliability

2. Efficiency

3. Less emissions and less noise pollution. 

Please refer to YouTube videos plenty of info about Toyota hybrid drive trains 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 6/10/2019 at 6:55 PM, Vortipor said:
I must be missing something here.  How is an internal combustion engine PLUS an electric motor system mechanically simpler than just having an ICE? Maybe you are comparing Toyota hybrid technology to that of other manufacturers?

My best friend bought a Toyota Prius a few years ago. His main reason was that he simply wanted to have the most reliable car on the market. He did some research and found out that the Prius is this car. He has put some 100,000 miles on the car so far, and spent nothing apart from scheduled maintenance and two blown light bulbs.

The interesting thing when comparing a Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive to other drivetrains, it isn't simply an electric motor bolted to an ICE. The interesting part is the so called Power Split Device (PSD), basically a small, yet sturdy planetary gear-set which connects the ICE with one electric motor and one generator. This gear-set does not have any moveable parts besides some turning sprocket wheels. You do not have shifting mechanisms, band brakes, synchromesh mechanism, no clutch or torque converter. The engine is permanently connected to the drivetrain, even when it runs and the vehicle stands still. All different driving conditions, from standing still over running on the highway with 120 mph until going in reverse are emulated by controlling the revolutions of one ICE and one electric motor. The Prius ICE engine does not need a starter, it does not need an alternator, it neither has a serpentine belt nor a timing belt.

I think this is pretty amazing for an ICE car.

I have a Toyota Yaris Hybrid, and it actually is lighter (!) than a conventional Yaris with an automatic transmission. And if you compare the price of the two vehicles, the Hybrid is only 1,000 GBP more expensive. And it really is extremely relaxing to drive.

Best regards from Bavaria

Frank

• Like 3

The Toyota hybrid technology is amazing. If you not conversant with it then check it out on You Tube videos. Takes some understanding, but when you catch on to it you will become smitten. Best move I did was when I bought a 60 plate Auris hybrid (same drive train as the Prius) at the end of May 2017. Within 8 months I had a 59 plate Prius ( which is what I really wanted), and 6 months later, having become completely smitten with Prius I bought a 66 plate Gen4 Prius Excel. Whilst I am capable of getting in/out of it (it’s a bit low for a 72 year old) I can’t see anything to replace it. VERY economical and so relaxing to drive.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links