Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Retrofit Engine Block Heater on Prius+ ?

HSDish

Does anyone know if a engine block heater on my Prius+ would make it possible to run on EV mode direct from (cold) startup, if the Battery is fully charged?

As it is now (without heater), the gasoline engine running at (cold) start to warm up the car and you have to run a few km before the Ev mode can be used.

If you press the EV button within 5 seconds of the Ready light coming on you can force EV, even with a cold engine, as long as there are 3 or more bars on the HV indicator, it will kick out at 20 mph though.

Not sure why you would want to spend time and money installing a block heater just to get (at most) 1.5 km of EV travel ? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kithmo said:

If you press the EV button within 5 seconds of the Ready light coming on you can force EV, even with a cold engine, as long as there are 3 or more bars on the HV indicator, it will kick out at 20 mph though.  and as long as the heater setting isn't too high or windscreen demist selected.

Not sure why you would want to spend time and money installing a block heater just to get (at most) 1.5 km of EV travel ?  same here, but it would pre-warm the engine and probably improve mpg

• Like 1

Yes, i forgot to mention the heater, In my experience the climate and demister had to be off altogether.

I'm not convinced that the money saved improving the mpg would compare to the electricity used to warm the block though, not to mention the hassle of plugging it in and then not forgetting to unplug it before driving off. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks to both ”kithmo” and PeteB” for valuable advice

We really like our Prius+

(exept from seat heat control buttons but … this made it much easier to find/feel and press the buttons without seeing them 

but we drive a lot so we want as low fuelconsuption and CO2 pollution as possible and we are willing to pay extra for every ”upgrade” without buying a new car/model (producing new cars imply a bit of more pollutin to).  

Of course it has to be meaningful.

Hope for some evolution in upgrade/replacement batterys to

Forgott to say Im living in Sweden and at my place we have about 2 months 0f +- 0 C and below. and about 4 months more with 10 c and below and just about 2/(at the best) 3 months with 20 c and warrmer.

Got an (cold) non heated garage tough

22 hours ago, HSDish said:

Forgott to say Im living in Sweden and at my place we have about 2 months 0f +- 0 C and below. and about 4 months more with 10 c and below and just about 2/(at the best) 3 months with 20 c and warrmer.

Got an (cold) non heated garage tough

Now I see, in that case a block heater may be a good idea just for the saving on fuel.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links