Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Shock Absorbers

Inf

Hello,

Im about to change rear shocks on my 2013 Touring Sports Hybrid, and need an advice on what to buy, KYB, Blistein, Sachs, etc.. 

but before you anwser please bear in mind that every other day im carrying 200kg at the trunk and plus 2 adults. 

Any suggetion on which to brand to choose? 

Are you looking for uprated or standard shocks as genuine Toyota shocks are reasonably priced £47 ea

Here oem toyota 48530-09W60 are 100-150 euro.

Not kyb I fitted a pair to my father's rav4 one stuck solid after 20 months and the other one was leaking hope this helps 

• Sad 1

• 1 year later...

Toyota source their Struts from different supplier.  Most of the time is from KYB  and Sachs/TRW/ZF in european market.  In USA almost exclusively from KYB, sporty high-end from Billstein, and Fox (TRD upgrade).  Sometimes Toyota used Tokicho but they are mostly junk in my experience with most Nissan 2002 or newer.  They are all excellent value.  Auris 2013-2018 uses KYB in the front shocks,  and Sachs damper on the rear.  I used KYB all the time when I was in USA for the past 15 years and KYB is still the best there, Billstein is more expensive but usually slightly better.  KYB from Advanced, GAbriel Ultra from autozone,  autostore give lifetime warranty.  I did it when my car got accident, and Autozone did not ask anything, just swap with the new one by using your phone number alone.   In Germany struts and shocks last much longer than UK because the road condition from rainy weather.   My choice in EU: 1. Billstein,  2. KYB,  3. Sachs/TRW/ZF shocks (they are identical).    In USA: 1. KYB, 2. Billstein, 3. Sachs, 4. Gabriel Ultra, 5. Monroe

Don't buy any struts from unknown brand especially from China. It can kill you because of welding failure like Shen-shen. They are junk, the springs also junk. 

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

Bilstein, Monroe, KYB, Sachs would be my main brands to choose from. It really depends on your budget tho. Hope this helps, cheers!

• 1 month later...

The rear shock absorbers on my 2016 Auris have failed after 55000 miles of mainly 2 person motorway driving and no rough road mileage.  Is this normal?

17 minutes ago, Clive Rutland said:

The rear shock absorbers on my 2016 Auris have failed after 55000 miles of mainly 2 person motorway driving and no rough road mileage.  Is this normal?

For what it's worth, both shocks were leaking badly on my Aygo at the last MOT. Only 42k miles and mainly me in the car with nothing in the boot.

I was a bit shocked (😆), but the guy said that it's quite common on the Aygo, Peugeot 107 and Citroen C1 city cars 😌

1 hour ago, Clive Rutland said:

It depends if the car had run over some sort of large pothole or been driven overloaded or exclusively in towns with many speed humps at higher speeds, something that usually can trigger premature failure, IMO 55000 miles is exactly that ., too early for a shocks to fail especially with the type of driving you said you do. I also drive mostly on motorways and I am easy when going over speed bumps at 184000 and 11 years the shocks are still good, actually the whole suspension is still original. 

My 2015 TS 80k miles are still in all original shocks and struts. They are still firm and quiet although with some surface rust near the spring seats. It depends on how we drive and the road condition. The shocks adsorber does not depend much on age or miles, more about how bad the roads are. It can last 2 decades without problems if it was driven on a smooth road. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links