Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota to share Hybrid technology

Cjohnston1982

This is great to see.

The only other example I'm aware of (and for just 1 patent) was Volvo around 1960 gave away rights to their patent for the 3-point seat belt so that all manufacturers could incorporate them in their cars without paying any royalty to Volvo.  The very few cars that had belts in the era just had lap belts like on an aeroplane.

The other car makers have no excuse, as the Prius has been around for over 20 years. The idea was even older than that, before Toyota took on the challenge.

Toyota has gone on limb with the hydrogen fuel cell car. There are other competing technologies, that wouldn’t require hydrogen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, PeteB said:

This is great to see.

The only other example I'm aware of (and for just 1 patent) was Volvo around 1960 gave away rights to their patent for the 3-point seat belt so that all manufacturers could incorporate them in their cars without paying any royalty to Volvo.  The very few cars that had belts in the era just had lap belts like on an aeroplane.

afaik Toyota already shares hydrogen fuel cell patents for free https://global.toyota/en/detail/4663648

& re. aeroplanes De Havilland shared info about the causes of the Comet crashes (metal fatigue around the windows due to pressurisation which resulted in them being redesigned rounded) globally rather than keep it to themselves which meant that others such as Boeing could avoid the same problem.

21 minutes ago, Anthony Poli said:

Toyota has gone on limb with the hydrogen fuel cell car.

Hyundai have had a fuel cell version of the ix35 on limited sale in some markets since 2015, and is due to replace this with the Nexo this year.

25 minutes ago, Anthony Poli said:

Toyota has gone on limb with the hydrogen fuel cell car...

just as they did with the original Prius.

Apart from Honda, who had just been pipped by Toyota when they launched their 2 seater Insight Hybrid, almost all the rest of the industry ridiculed the concept, saying it would never catch on and they would never produce Hybrids themselves.

Whether FCVs catch on in the same way similarly gets a lot of negative comment, but who knows whether they will be proved right again?

Interestingly, GM's HyWire FCV, demonstrated some years ago on TopGear, doesn't seem to have had any further exposure since (unless I missed it). 

37 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:
Hyundai have had a fuel cell version of the ix35 on limited sale in some markets since 2015, and is due to replace this with the Nexo this year.

The point I was trying to make, Toyota said previously they weren’t going to make full ev‘s and the hydrogen was the future. With no infrastructure to globally refuel that kind of car, it risks being a fad.

32 minutes ago, PeteB said:
just as they did with the original Prius.
Apart from Honda, who had just been pipped by Toyota when they launched their 2 seater Insight Hybrid, almost all the rest of the industry ridiculed the concept, saying it would never catch on and they would never produce Hybrids themselves.
Whether FCVs catch on in the same way similarly gets a lot of negative comment, but who knows whether they will be proved right again?
Interestingly, GM's HyWire FCV, demonstrated some years ago on TopGear, doesn't seem to have had any further exposure since (unless I missed it). 

The sales pitch for the hybrids was, you don’t need any fancy rocket fuel to put into your tank. Now you would do with the fuel cell. [emoji6]

The recent push by China for manufacturers, not just Toyota, to have 10% of their sales as EV's by the end of 2019 or risk fines and  ultimately being removed from the marketplace, is the driving force behind the increase in EV production.

Toyota's first step to achieving this is to introduce an EV version of the C-HR in 2019 for the Chinese market.