Do Not Sell My Personal Information

? Anyone know what this is.....

Exvec

Driving home from work earlier about 500m from my house, i heard a metalic knock followed by a crunching sound. So as soon as i arrived on my drive i jacked the car up placed it on axle stands and had a look around and i found this sticking through the rubber drive shaft gaiter...? So i am puzzled as to what this may be.. Cheers for any help in advance. 

IMG_20190405_183343.jpg

Not sure what they are called but looks like the outer bearing thing from your cv joint has smashed there is 3 in there and all could be damaged hope I'm wrong good luck 

1 minute ago, Longcock said:

Not sure what they are called but looks like the outer bearing thing from your cv joint has smashed there is 3 in there and all could be damaged hope I'm wrong good luck 

Or could be part of the pot end ?

Yes I think so but have a look 1st because could have caused more damage if it has I would just get a shaft from breakers at the end of the day it's not that bad hope you get sorted good luck 

• Thanks 1

In fact I would just get a used shaft anyway 

• Thanks 1

Can someone confirm that that the track rod is fitted the correct way up, the mechanic who did my wishbones has refitted them this way up and i was wondering if this has cause the driveshaft problem, they go in from the top? Is that right

IMG_20190406_092304.jpg

Hi Michael.

As a rule the nut and split pin are on the top so it looks fine to me.

Michael.

• Like 1

It seems like a big coincidence that you've just had the wishbone done? Just a thought. 

• Like 1

Hi Michael.

My personal opinion is your mechanic used too much force on the driveshaft and that broke it but you'll never be able to prove it.

My advised would be get a different mechanic.

Michael.

I'm inclined to believe that the guy who ended up doing the job of changing the wishbones has done something which has led to this failure...?what could have caused this.Basically he his saying that it was fine after he had done the job which was only last weekend,i did notice a little squeaky grindy type of noise last week driving to work,but i thought it was the new wishbones bedding in a little,this could get messy. 

Have you sorted the car if not what are you going to do also dose it look like he has had the pot end off ?

You never know if some of these so called mechanic are any good I have seen this happen before but was mechanics fault and he openly admitted it but he realised before customer collected the car but he had had the pot end off

• Like 1

The penny has just dropped it's done my head in wondering how he smashed it this is what I think. He couldn't get the hub nut off maybe didn't have the the spline socket so he just pulled the cv boot off the pot and pulled hub back that way but when you do that one of those bearing things could definitely easily have dropped intothe cv boot with out him or her you never know noticing very possible as the grease would have stopped it falling out then when it's been reassembled it's been eventually chewed up thats my opinion otherwise I don't think they can come off 

• Like 2

As the Shaft is coming out again consider changing g/Box oil and new seal?

• Like 1

Wont hurt to but no need if you jack your car up high enough the oil won't run out it will run to the other side of the box but if you think the mechanic might have lost some oil just do it to satisfy yourself

Thanks for the input.Earlier on i jacked the car up and placed on axle stands,put the car in second gear and started the car and i realise now what he has done.I Think it's something to do with the tracking being out,the mec said he put the tracking back to how it was,but thinking about it now there was a mild screeching noise when cornering to the right.

Could the tracking be out that much that it would cause this failure over a week of driving 40 miles or so.

I don't know why the tracking would have been tamperd with unless he's fitted track rod ends but it would have been very noticeable if it was well out the car would have been pulling all over I don't think it was the tracking but could be wrong because if it is well out it can put strain on the cv joint and caused extra wear but not if it is just slightly out 

Tracking way out of line will cause serious tyre wear and noise  but 40 miles isn't much and shouldn't wreck bearings like that. What is the background to the whole story.When I chipped in about the oil change and new seal, I tend to overservice than under, especially if it's in an awkward place.In this case 50% less chance of a leak, and gears going round in clean good quality oil.

So it's a bit of a mystery on the surface, only you will have an idea of what's gone on before, there maybe something underlying.???

I took it as 40 miles each day 

8 hours ago, Master of disaster said:

Tracking way out of line will cause serious tyre wear and noise  but 40 miles isn't much and shouldn't wreck bearings like that. What is the background to the whole story.When I chipped in about the oil change and new seal, I tend to overservice than under, especially if it's in an awkward place.In this case 50% less chance of a leak, and gears going round in clean good quality oil.

So it's a bit of a mystery on the surface, only you will have an idea of what's gone on before, there maybe something underlying.???

Ok heres the story with the car. It failed its mot a coupleweeks ago on account of both wishbones being corroded. So asked the garage who i wont name to swap them out which they did. The guy who did the work said the tracking would need doing at the earliest opportunity so it was booked in for this Saturday just gone,but it never made it for reasons already  mentioned. The mechanic claims that i should not have run the car for a week but i needed it for work commute as not on a bus route. So now im left with a car i cant drive??? What would be a reasonable price to pay to fit two new driveshafts to a 2.0 d4d 1cd ftv engine estate. 

1 hour ago, Exvec said:

Ok heres the story with the car. It failed its mot a coupleweeks ago on account of both wishbones being corroded. So asked the garage who i wont name to swap them out which they did. The guy who did the work said the tracking would need doing at the earliest opportunity so it was booked in for this Saturday just gone,but it never made it for reasons already  mentioned. The mechanic claims that i should not have run the car for a week but i needed it for work commute as not on a bus route. So now im left with a car i cant drive??? What would be a reasonable price to pay to fit two new driveshafts to a 2.0 d4d 1cd ftv engine estate. 

Good Morning all.First of all prepare yourself for some sharp hand held photography of high quality!

I would like a bit more info on how long you've had it etc.But this is starting to look familiar, when I first saw the picture of the partial bearing I thought it looked like a piece of old aluminium bracket.If it's been in your driveshaft  gaiter until ejection just before you stopped,it should look reasonably shiny as per the eBay photos of new ones, and have some traces of black grease even if most of its been spun out.

I'm struggling with predictive text so I will send this and poor on with the rest!

Second hand ones arnt expensive go to local breakers or eBay new ones are very expensive