Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk1 Exhaust repair options

600rob

Ive got a 1.0 ltr mk1 yaris which has suffered a breakage in the exhaust.

The break has occured at the flange, located on the main section of the exhaust which joins to the back box flange.. see image.

I took the vehicle to a local exhaust centre who said all they can do is clean up the broken section, cut the flange off the otherwise good back box and weld the two together using a joining piece.... for 100 quid. I said id think about it since this means they'd be making the whole exhaust into a single piece....

If something else goes wrong in future id pretty much have to replace the entire system except the manifold. I suggested an aftermarket centre section which they could cut and join in somewhere after the existing cat but they said they cant/wouldn't do that

just looking at other options that i could do myself and came across this which has a clamp on version available.

Does anyone else have any advice on how i can come up with some sort of cost effective repair or replacement options that might get me out of this one without 

many thanks

Rob

DSC_1957.JPG

A brand new replacement center section is only 47 quid on eurocarparts.

1 hour ago, lani100 said:

Thanks.

Id need to cut the pipe coming off the cat and join it to the new center section since the original Toyota center section is one complete part.

To anyone who has done something like this themselfs....what would be the best type of coupler/joining parts and clamps would i need to get to join the cut sections?

Go to a different exhaust repair centre or take it to a trusted mechanic who could sort it for you cheaply with the flange repair kit link you posted.

3 hours ago, lani100 said:

This could have been a decent option but this repalcment one doesn't fit french built models unfortunately 

I had this happen on the 1999 Mk1 1.0 CDX I used to own, and the break was in the exact same place, on centre pipe side of the flange weld, it rusted through and snapped clean off. I had to buy a centre section without cat, and then saw through the original pipe shortly after the original cat, and join the cat section to the new section by sliding one into the other and using a U clamp to secure the joint. The bolts and springs on the back box connector flange can be a !Removed! to undo as well so you might need to order 2 bolts in case you shear the old ones off. The link below is a complete system for the 99 - 02 Yaris 1.0, that you can buy in individual parts, with a diagram showing the bolts you need for the back joint flange (ONB009) , and the U clamp (ONC042S). You need the centre section (TOY3005) which is a good price (£29.58), but doesn't include the underfloor cat, which is separate (TOY1008H).  https://www.onlineautomotive.co.uk/car-parts-online/Toyota/Yaris/Exhaust-System.

20 hours ago, Stevie J said:

I had this happen on the 1999 Mk1 1.0 CDX I used to own....

Hey steve many thanks for the reply. The main thing i wasnt sure about was making sure i got the correct centre section to fit my model. Having the part numbers is a great help.

One more question... When you cut the old pipe, after the cat, did you cut it in situ or did you drop the whole system, cut then refit?

Just considering how best to make sure i dont make.the cut too short!

Cheers 

Rob 

Its been some time since I had to do that repair, as I did it around 2011, but from what I remember, I offered the new centre pipe up to the existing system, to determine the exact location I needed to cut through the original cat to centre box section,, and then I dropped the whole exhaust from the manifold down, and sawed through the pipe off the car, using a hack saw. Then I mounted the front section with cat back on the car, and slid the new centre pipe onto it, with some exhaust paste round the joint, and then clamped it with a U clamp. The flared connector on the new centre pipe should slide over the old pipe quite snugly. A couple of years later, the new centre pipe failed again at the rear flange joint, in the same place, so I had to replace the same part all over again, as the pattern part centre pipe is nowhere near as good quality as the original fit system that lasted about 12 years before it failed.

2 years ago the original rear box on my 2006 Mk2 1.3 T3 failed at the weld joint where the centre pipe meets the back box (it rotted through, all the way round), and the back box dropped down onto the road, dragging along under the car - its a worse design on the Mk2 than on the Mk1 if the back box pipe joint  (facing the middle of the car) does fail, so anyone with a Mk2, if your back box starts blowing, dont ignore it, as if the pipe weld breaks or rusts through, the back box will drop down at the front and drag on the road, causing damage to the rubber hangers and deforming the plastic rear bumper.

On 4/7/2019 at 10:53 PM, 600rob said:

This could have been a decent option but this repalcment one doesn't fit french built models unfortunately 

They have french built specific ones although a bit more expensive.