Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris 1.0 3-cyl 1KR-FE noises

whoever

Hi there,

I bought a Yaris second hand, and it has been working well for a while now. Recently, however, it makes a ticking/clicking noise (especially when cold) under load. The ticking sound seems to be in line with the current RPM (higher RPM, quicker ticking). If I put the car in neutral (it has a manual transmission), it is impossible to provoke the ticking even with a high RPM. It is only when in gear, and under load, above approx 3000 RPM, I can hear the clicking. When the car gets properly warm, the noise almost completely disappears. 

This being a quite old car, and me living in a country with very high mechanic costs, I would like to explore my options and perhaps fix it myself. 

Any ideas what this can be dear Yaris owners?  

Does the noise disappear if you change down a gear?

Sounds like the timing chain, what mileage does the car have and has it been serviced regular?

Was gonna say what's milage as it sounds like chain cud have some slack in it.

The milage is at approx. 150.000 kilometers, so about 90k miles. 

If it was the timing chain, wouldn't the noise be there even when I rev the engine in neutral? And not only on load/when in gear? 

13 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

Does the noise disappear if you change down a gear?

Yes, it tends to do. 

Yes is the short answer.. have you pulled the oil to see what the Condition is of it? And as earlier post has asked what is the service history of it, if you know? Regular oil changes help extend the life of a timing chain so if it's been neglected it cud explain alot

As the sound disappears when you change down a gear, I'd suggest it was pinking. I see you're non-UK, so I don't know what the fuel's like in your part of the world. If a higher octane's available, perhaps you can try that to see if it cures the problem.

Otherwise it could be the anti-knock sensor.

15 minutes ago, Dave 1981 said:

Yes is the short answer.. have you pulled the oil to see what the Condition is of it? And as earlier post has asked what is the service history of it, if you know? Regular oil changes help extend the life of a timing chain so if it's been neglected it cud explain alot

The service history looks quite good to be honest. All services has been followed, with annual oil changes, as far as I can see. I changed the oil last week, and the oil was a little bit dirty, but I didn't see metal pieces in it. 

7 minutes ago, bathtub tom said:

As the sound disappears when you change down a gear, I'd suggest it was pinking. I see you're non-UK, so I don't know what the fuel's like in your part of the world. If a higher octane's available, perhaps you can try that to see if it cures the problem.

Otherwise it could be the anti-knock sensor.

The fuel here in Scandinavia is identical to the fuel you've got in the UK, I think. I could try high octane though.