Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What to look out for when buying?

shogunswb

Looking to purchase a 2010 Yaris 1.3 manual with 47k on it but was just wondering if there are any particular things to look out for or known problems when I go to see it?

Thanks

I would have a good look underside as the rust prevention can be poor on older Yaris models.

I assume its the 1.33 engine with start stop technology, as opposed to the older 1.3 engine fitted to earlier Mk2 Yaris models like my own? The older 1.3 had an issue with water pump failures from what I read, and so did the 1.0 3 cylinder engines, with failures anywhere from upwards of 40K miles. My own 1.3 (currently on 30K miles) has had issues with constant squeeking and chirping from the serpentine drivebelt from cold starts, and new belt has not cured the issue, suspected caused by pulley misalignment, so listen out for the drivebelt being noisy, in addition to any water pump rattle.

Check the clutch works as it should and there is no crunching between gears, and reverse can be selected easily from neutral with the engine idling. Earlier 1.3 models with manual gearboxes can be a problem with the clutch not completely disengaging from the flywheel, causing gear change difficulties, but this may have been modified by the 2010 model year, which would be a pretty late Mk2.

Headlights seem to get prone to the clear plastic lenses getting cloudy and opaque from the tops which spreads further down the lenses as it progresses, I know my own car has this problem and it has to have the headlights rubbed down with Meguiars PlastRX every year before the MOT to try to make the lenses less opaque. Sun damage seems to be the cause of headlight lens cloudiness, and I see a fair few older Mk2 Yaris with dreadfully cloudy headlights - new ones are very costly, even for aftermarket units, and they can fail an MOT if they are really badly deteriorated.

Check the exhaust back box is not blowing, as the pipe can fracture just in front of the connection to the back box, and this causes the back box to fall down onto the road when you are driving, and cause damage to the mountings and possibly to the rear bumper, as the tail pipe can damage it if the back box falls down onto the road.

The Mk2 cabin plastics can rattle which is annoying when driving along, but then again, many cars have rattly interiors, so not unique to the Yaris Mk2

As regards rust, the Mk2 seems pretty good on this front, but the first signs of rusting usually start under the car on the rear inner sills and on the rear suspension components, so always do an underside body check, although a 2010 model should not have exenstive corrosion underneath, unless its high mileage.

I haven't seen it yet but whilst I was looking for other possible Yaris I noticed that the newer model 2011 onwards is about the same price for the same milage  with bluetooth, sat nav & reversing camera plus a few other bits so might have a look at one of those as well.

ATM got a 2009 1.0 IQ which is back with Toyota for a full respray but had very few problems (paint coming off aside) with it apart from the centre splined portion of the clutch plate parting company with the rest of it, one of the rear callipers sticking on but think its something to do with the handbrake & the top nut coming loose on one of the front struts.

Thanks for your input.

Definitely have a good poke around underneath as a lot of toyotas suffer from rust I hate to say as I like them they look great on the top toyota managed to make a solid she'll on top but a lot of them underneath are like they were in the 70s -80s 

• 1 month later...

If you can afford it, buy the new Toyota Yaris 2019 Sedan. This vehicle makes a strong first impression wherever it goes, courtesy of its head-turning front grille. The low black grille rests in contrast to the chrome above, integrating seamlessly with the front headlights. The cabin is modern and stylish, and with the inbuilt audio system, you can connect your own device via USB and AUX ports, and relax in the cooling of its efficient air conditioning system.

8 minutes ago, joescott487 said:

If you can afford it, buy the new Toyota Yaris 2019 Sedan.

The sedan has never been available in the UK, so not applicable.

Not available in Ireland either 

7 hours ago, joescott487 said:

If you can afford it, buy the new Toyota Yaris 2019 Sedan.

That'll be a Mazda 2 then ... 😛

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, joescott487 said:

If you can afford it, buy the new Toyota Yaris 2019 Sedan. This vehicle makes a strong first impression wherever it goes, courtesy of its head-turning front grille. The low black grille rests in contrast to the chrome above, integrating seamlessly with the front headlights. The cabin is modern and stylish, and with the inbuilt audio system, you can connect your own device via USB and AUX ports, and relax in the cooling of its efficient air conditioning system.

Sounds like most of that is quoted from a sales brochure.

Or in plain English, the front end is grotesque!

• Haha 1

What is grotesque in one persons eyes can be beautiful in another’s. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder 🤔

9 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

What is grotesque in one persons eyes can be beautiful in another’s. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder 🤔

Agree, I think the front of many Argos look terrible, but there is plenty on the road so some people like the,.

Citroen have the best looker out of the 3 cars in the “groups”

15 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Agree, I think the front of many Argos look terrible, but there is plenty on the road so some people like the,.

Citroen have the best looker out of the 3 cars in the “groups”

& to pprove that it is personal,  I disagree with you ... I don't like the C1 & I would say that the 108 is the most "normal" looking of the 3. I genuinely liked the X front of the Mk II Aygo (better than the latest restyle which imo dilutes it) & it would seem that a lot of people agreed as it went iirc from being the lowest annual production version of the 3 to the highest.

43 minutes ago, Catlover said:

I think the front of many Argos look terrible, but there is plenty on the road so some people like the,.

Well it is the second best selling Toyota in the UK behind the Yaris, and has been for a number of years. Selling a lot more than its bigger siblings, whether hybrid or otherwise. 

Of course, it also has a longer new car warranty than the C1 and 108. To me the C1 looks plain ugly.