Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris petrol or hybrid

Sharlene

Hi I’m looking at trading in my 60 plate avensis estate and down sizing to an auris. Now I would like to get the most fuel economy I can and am looking at the hybrid version.  I probably do 5k a year but if fuel economy is greater may increase with trips out etc. My questions are is the hybrid any dearer to service than the petrol also is it worth the extra outlay for the hybrid looking at he amount of miles I do. It’s just my old avensis is an absolute dream to drive but at 33 mpg on a good week I want better fuel economy. Thanks in advance for any advice. 

Moved to the Auris club.

What age of Auris are you considering, as this will determine which petrol engines are available?

I’m hoping 2014 upwards. Got around 12-15 k thanks

2014-2015 Auris can include the 1.33, the 1.6 and the 1.2T (which replaced the 1.6) petrol engines.

The Honest John Real mpg pages will provide an indication of what owners achieve - https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/auris-2013

Bear in mind that when comparing versions of the Auris, that all hybrids are automatic.

Yes that’s something I’d have to learn tbh as driven manuals all my driving life so 33 years. But I just want better bang for my buck. But I’ll have a look at the page thanks as I need to see whether the extra out lay for a hybrid is worth it. Or whether I’d be better getting a younger petrol version. My avensis is all singing all dancing but a 2.2 estate hence why it’s so heavy on fuel. Had it carbon cleaned but didn’t make a great deal of difference tbh 

I had heard that hybrids aren't any good on the motorway but I bought one anyway after testing one out. Turns out that they are excellent on the motorway, I regularly see 55+ mpg on a 40 mile run and that only increases once I reach town as the full Battery gets me most of the way to my destination with very little assistance from the engine. 

The onboard computer does overguesstimate by 3-4mpg, but my long term average (calculated brim to brim fillups) over the last 9 months or so is 54.5mpg (UK) over 4600 miles with a fair mixture of short local journeys to the supermarket and longer runs at up to 65mph. I don't tend to drive faster as I prefer a relaxed drive, which by the way the hybrid system promotes. Part of the reason why I chose the hybrid is because it encourages gentle acceleration and it is extremely relaxing to drive. The only minor annoyance is going uphill with cruise on makes the engine a bit loud sometimes but wafting in town on Battery more than makes up for that.

• Like 1

Hi and welcome. I fully support the post above, hybrids are really relaxed to drive, efficient on motorways too and promote economical and safe driving. In my opinion always worth it to pay little more for a hybrid than a conventional petrol model unless you really want to drive a manual car. If you like to drive automatic hybrids are the best, they are also more reliable than other type of automatic transmissions like DSG, or CVT, or even standard automatic with number of gears and torque converter. Any of the petrol powered Auris will return around 35-40mpg +- 5 but if you want to get more,  hybrid is the one to get,  50mpg plus easily. 

Good luck 

The wife has a 2010 Auris hybrid and in the summer can get over 60mpg. Figures dip in the winter as the petrol engine kicks in more. Servicing is no dearer, just get the hybrid Battery checked out at the same time 9not really heared anyone have problems with the hybrid battery).

The auto box on hybrids are a dream to live with. Very simple, really nothing to get used to except your left leg is redundant. Dont listen to anyone who tries to put you off a automatic by saying they use a lot more fuel then a manual gearbox. That may be true with conventional auto boxes with a torque convertor, but the Toyota auto box in Auris and Prius are fuel efficient and I have not read any report yet that says someone has had a problem. Just 4 settings - D for drive, R for reverse, P for park, and B used when going down steep hills to give a braking assist. And the gear engages electronically, no crunching etc, and being auto there is some help with hill starts.

Just beautiful and so relaxing to drive.

You will pay more for a hybrid then just a petrol model, but you will also get more back when (if) you sell.

Go test drive both and you will see (feel) what is being talked about.

4 hours ago, Sharlene said:

is it worth the extra outlay for the hybrid looking at he amount of miles I do. 

I suspect probably not but it all depends upon what is available/acceptable to you & at what price.

3 hours ago, Sharlene said:

My avensis is all singing all dancing but a 2.2 estate hence why it’s so heavy on fuel. 

5k per annum is unlikely to be good for a diesel unless a large % is long trips. Probably wise to change before you hit any large bill resulting from that.

Try both for yourself. My 1.6 14 plate tourer will do 51mpg on a steady run. 47mpg if driven very gently and 41mpg when driven hard. Brilliant car and no problems at all to date.

After testing a hybrid decided I wanted a manual although undoubtedly the hybrid would have been more efficient- and more expensive to buy.

Found 1.33 lacked power for fast rural driving.  1.2 in tourer form is no more efficient according to honestjohn realmpg figures than 1.6 and I prefer the older 1.6 in terms of smoothness and power delivery (and when I bought 1.2 reliability was unknown as only just introduced).

You could probably argue the case for any of the engines depending on budget, driving style, personal preferences, what type of driving you will do. With the mileage you'll be doing try them for yourself and see which suits rather than worrying about a few mpg extra......

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links