Do Not Sell My Personal Information

E120 Dashboard Light Bulbs

angryengineer

Dear Form Readers,

I have a 2005 1.4 D4D Corolla.

I am seeking to obtain the specification of dashboard light bulbs that have blown.

I've decided to replace them myself as I have realised it is a safety issue when driving at night.

I contacted my local Toyota dealer, and their Parts Department quoted £20 for the bulbs I require. I'd like to check Amazon.co.uk etc for LED versions.

The blown light bulbs are:

{1} Centre console heater controls (all),

(2) Passenger airbag button,

(3) Rear window de-mist button,

(4) Air recirculation button,

(5) Hazard lights button,

Can anyone help?

Sounds more like a fuse or common connection point has failed, would be unusual for all those lamps to go on their own , all at once ?

On 4/9/2019 at 9:33 AM, oldcodger said:

Sounds more like a fuse or common connection point has failed, would be unusual for all those lamps to go on their own , all at once ?

I believe they went over the course of 14 years but were not replaced with new ones!

It may seem like a spurious repair but I find that without them lit up at nighttime driving they cannot be located easily without putting driving safety at risk. Don't like taking risks with safety

I don't know, but, are they mentioned in the owners manual ?

On an 2001 E11 Corolla the heater control bulbs looked like this when I replaced them a couple of years ago:-

dash-light-bulbs-1-5122.jpg

I think they are rated at 1.2W.  I had some in the garage, so I can't send a link to the ones I used.  I think they might have come out of a dash console from a (low mileage) Lancia Beta Coupe (c. 1979) that I had knocking about, so it wasn't a special or new style of bulb in the E11 Corolla.

The bulbs I put in were probably Italian, and yet they hadn't rusted at all.  How about that?!

If the bulbs last so long, is it really worth replacing them with LEDs?

I doubt you'd see any improvement in fuel consumption.

:)

The bulb Gerg shows looks the same 1.2w capless that I fitted to my Corolla's heater controls (non-aircon) a few years back.  Definitely helpful at night having at least 1 of the heater control bulbs working.  IIRC it was a slight struggle getting at them to do the replacement (I used Haynes), and I think somewhere at the back of the mechanism, a small piece of the white plastic broke off (to no detriment it seems).

No idea about the bulbs in the switches.  On my previous much older Citroen, the bulbs in the switches were not replaceable.  Not sure what the situation is with the Corolla, and some of us might consider that to be a new challenge 😀.

Simpler to replace like with like, rather than try LEDs, unless a direct swap.  Would LEDs cost more?

On 4/8/2019 at 9:23 PM, angryengineer said:

Dear Form Readers,

I have a 2005 1.4 D4D Corolla.

I am seeking to obtain the specification of dashboard light bulbs that have blown.

I've decided to replace them myself as I have realised it is a safety issue when driving at night.

I contacted my local Toyota dealer, and their Parts Department quoted £20 for the bulbs I require. I'd like to check Amazon.co.uk etc for LED versions.

The blown light bulbs are:

{1} Centre console heater controls (all),

(2) Passenger airbag button,

(3) Rear window de-mist button,

(4) Air recirculation button,

(5) Hazard lights button,

Can anyone help?

Assume your model has the three rotary control knobs for the heating , rather than the Digital control panel used on some later models ?

Agree with whats been said, finding and / or fitting a led version seems an unlikely outcome  and possibly a lot more expensive time and money wise against the £20 Toyota wants for the exact parts.

Not sure about all your bulbs, but if  they are in the rotary control  type, seems some bulbs like those illuminating the instrument panel are supplied  as a bulb in a plastic holder, though no clear information if any of the ones you need use them ?

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, kc88 said:

The bulbs you want are code 286 i got a pack of 20 from ebay for around 5euro for my own car last year

If thats the type he needs,  then the OP can get them in LED versions, which he was talking about doing.

001569.jpg

OC's details show what I think is from autobulbsdirect, and look promising.  However, a warning, that they might not be quite as small as the present 286 bulbs, so depends how much space there is round the bulbs/holders.

Let us know how you get on 🙂