Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mot failure

m456an

I got side repeater not working, garage could not find led lights only the whole unit for 255+51 for labour. But now it is working, cannot find any hole in it for water to leak, I am guessing it is the Battery a bit low, don't drive it that much and short journeys.

The other thing was a coil spring fractured or broken which is a no problem cheap fix for the garage.

Has anybody else had a problem with the led mirror lights off side. Maybe I should charge the Battery a bit before the free repeat mot?

• 1 month later...

Update on side repeater

Cleaned Battery connection with soda, also cleaned mirror indicator with contact cleaner than added dielectric grease. Works only some times, usually when hot, or when I disconnect and connect Battery.

So would it be possible to change the led bulbs within the mirror indicator?

That still indicates a bad connection. Even if you replace it, it might not actually fix the issue.

When led's are about to fail, they usually flicker very fast.

You should be able to take it apart, but it will take some time, maybe spend a few euros on toyota tech website to see how it's done, i think it's 3 eur per 1 hour, should be enough to find it.

You can also print or save the instructions.

• Thanks 1

On 4/9/2019 at 2:38 PM, m456an said:

I got side repeater not working, garage could not find led lights only the whole unit for 255+51 for labour. But now it is working, cannot find any hole in it for water to leak, I am guessing it is the battery a bit low, don't drive it that much and short journeys.

The other thing was a coil spring fractured or broken which is a no problem cheap fix for the garage.

Has anybody else had a problem with the led mirror lights off side. Maybe I should charge the battery a bit before the free repeat mot?

If you suspect your Battery how about just charging it up or even get a set of jump leads and link up to another car to boost your batteries performance. Testing your existing Battery in either of these ways will save you buying a new one if your one is OK, i.e. there is no difference with the side repeater.

Regards, Mike.

• Thanks 1

Update 2

Ordered a second hand mirror unit £45. May just replace the whole unit if it is in good condition. Just 3 nuts next to mirror and one screw on door open handle. 

Though light not flickering, sometimes led do go on and off randomly, I found this on a kitchen led light post

https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/55664/why-does-an-led-light-turn-on-and-off-irregularly-while-the-switch-is-in-the-on

9 minutes ago, Mike169 said:

If you suspect your battery how about just charging it up or even get a set of jump leads and link up to another car to boost your batteries performance. Testing your existing battery in either of these ways will save you buying a new one if your one is OK, i.e. there is no difference with the side repeater.

Regards, Mike.

I had my old silver calcium Battery from ford focus in the avensis, did swap it with the proper Battery that I kept as a spare in the shed. It did not solve problem, I have ordered a whole mirror unit for £45.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, m456an said:

I had my old silver calcium battery from ford focus in the avensis, did swap it with the proper battery that I kept as a spare in the shed. It did not solve problem, I have ordered a whole mirror unit for £45.

Hi, I don't know if you know that if you just leave a good Battery in your shed doing nothing for a few months then it will just 'die' so to charge it up say every month or so is a good idea as it will keep the Battery going and extend it's life.

Mike.

47 minutes ago, Mike169 said:

Hi, I don't know if you know that if you just leave a good battery in your shed doing nothing for a few months then it will just 'die' so to charge it up say every month or so is a good idea as it will keep the battery going and extend it's life.

Mike.

I did charge it last year, Just needed few mins charge and was good at 12 volts.

12 volts doesn't mean the battery's necessarily fully charged.  Best way to ensure spare Battery is fully charged and ready to go is to have it connected to a Smart charger 😊

• Like 1

3 hours ago, furtula said:

That still indicates a bad connection. Even if you replace it, it might not actually fix the issue.

When led's are about to fail, they usually flicker very fast.

You should be able to take it apart, but it will take some time, maybe spend a few euros on toyota tech website to see how it's done, i think it's 3 eur per 1 hour, should be enough to find it.

You can also print or save the instructions.

You are probably right, if press on the indicator sometimes it goes on. So I just wait for the new mirror unit, I mean second hand one hopefully it is in good condition. Already taken the speaker off and inside panel so I can easily test if it works without installing it.

Probably caused by the high pressure £3 car washes a little water must have gone into the connection. If the second hand one is in bad condition I would have to remove the cover, but it is very difficult to do with breaking one of the plastic tab connectors to get to the led light indicator.

Update 3

Got second hand mirror from15597317772475411912160705284454.thumb.jpg.0c8744ff80e94908775a3c19aedda405.jpg a scrap yard in N.I everything works. I will keep the old mirror as spare.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links