Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Battery replacement

JohnnyMug

3 hours ago, Mike169 said:

Gotcha OC.

If two batteries are used a split charger will charge 2 batteries, People that tow caravans often have one of these fitted to charge the caravan internal battery so all that is needed is to contact someone who fits tow bars to wire one in, I know this as I used to fit tow bars, lol. The alternator will be able to cope with charging 2 batteries in much the same way as you can fit the biggest battery that will go in the battery tray for maximum storage of power.

Mike.

Think that dual charging depends on the rating of the alternator and batteries used.

My Bosch alternator is rated at 90AH so if it was trying to charge the main car Battery and a drained 85AH leisure Battery it would soon give up ..??

Assume you can fit some restriction device so the leisure Battery is only given an even low amperage charge ?

Seems like a good explanation here  - https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/split-charging.html

• Like 1

Hi OC.

Split chargers give priority to the main car Battery and when that is topped up supplies the leisure Battery instead.

This phone number is of a local tow bar shop to me, perhaps they can explain more if you want a 2nd opinion, 01708 223316

Mike.

Thanks guys,  I don't know if its worth going through all this trouble....I'll have to think it over.

I thought  just sticking a bigger Battery will solve this but looks like itd bit more involved.

Hi Roks.

Personally that's what I would do, just get the biggest Battery that will fit in the Battery tray and the leads fit, don't worry about the alternator it will cope. I have a boat with 4 batteries on it making 500ah fed by 2 x 85ah alternators and all works well.

Mike.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up getting the Yuasa YXB005, 65Ah, the measurement fits in the tray.

It was well packaged, Battery in polythene bag, wrapped with some sort of rag/towel, then the whole thing put in a cardboard box with thick foam all around.

The rag had a wet patch, then noticed there are two holes on either side of the lid/top, and one side had some water. The case doesnt appear to be damaged.

Should I be concerned, or could that liquid have escaped in transport?

Voltage out of the box was 12.63v, now left charging, first it took 3.8 amp, the max the charger can put out, then after few minutes it drops staright to 0.8amp.

20190425_222929.thumb.jpg.99fdea8450d91a96367fe65bc1302634.jpg

20190425_222912.thumb.jpg.ee0ccfe55968b71c990f9ad86113a712.jpg

Never had to charge a new Battery these days and your measurement of 12.63v means its fully charged anyway.

As for leakage as received, better talking to the supplier, before you fit the Battery.

What you must realise is that any fluid coming out of a Battery will likely be sulphuric acid which is very harmful, so hope you washed your hand very thoroughly ! if its sore and burning, seek medical attention straight away.

Thanks OC, hands washed, after 8hrs charging its finished and settled at 13.33, I guess that will drop further after standing idle few hours.

If these are SEALED then how did the acid come out?

I tried tilting it to the side but nothing came out, guess it must have been thrown around hard during the transport?

Not fitted it yet, will speak to Amazon but I doubt they will know anything other than offer to send a replacement.

Those holes are vents which normally have a bung in for use during transport to prevent such spills.  - see the quote below.

Assume your Battery does not have any fill up screw tops to it;  most batteries are sealed for life these days.

If only a few ml has come out, don't think i would be too bothered, however if that rag/towell or the cardboard box was soaking wet indicating a big loss then I would contact Amazon for a replacement as it will not last that long if the internal plates are not covered by the fluid.

001577.jpg

As well as everything OC says above, Yuasa have an automotive technical department at their UK HQ in Swindon. Telephone is 01793 833555.

Only used them once, but they were very good.

Thanks guys, I will call Yuasa. There were no bung or anything.

I think it may only be a few ml, it was just a patch on the towel that wet, not sure if its clear in the picture.

4 hours ago, roks said:

Thanks guys, I will call Yuasa. There were no bung or anything.

I think it may only be a few ml, it was just a patch on the towel that wet, not sure if its clear in the picture.

Makes me wonder if any more fluid was lost before it was shipped to you ?

Was it a direct Amazon supply or via some market place shop; just that the  'rag/towel'  does not sound like normal packaging so someone packing it may have already had some fluid coming out and put the towel in to try and prevent/contain any more ?

Think a call to Yuasa would be prudent.

It was a 'sold and dispatched by amazon'.

I called Yuasa, didnt fill me with confidence, I asked if all Yuasa batteries leave with a bung, guy gave me an hesitant 'Yes'.

Asked about the leakage, first said I need to talk to Amazon if I was concerned, then asked if the indicator was green, which is, so then he says 'it should be fine'.

I weighed the Battery and its 15.75kg, spec says 15.7kg, taking into account the tolorance of the weighing machine 0.2kg, that 15.55kg.

So I think the Battery is OK. Or I could ask Amazon to replace it but then there is no gurantee the replacement will have a bung.

Hi,

If the indicator is green and the weight is similar doubt it will have lost much fluid then.

Todays Car batteries from the big names, generally come with 3, 4 or 5 years warranty depending on the price you pay, so if they offer such warranties they must be confident their products can easily exceed the quoted period, just keep your receipt in case it ever does give a problem.

Sorry guy's but I don't understand why people would buy a lead acid Battery from Amazon. I work for a Battery stockists  looking after any warranty returns and a Yuasa Battery would be supplied with a full 5 year warranty. The customer would bring the battery in and it would be tested and a decision made with reference to the warranty replacement etc. 

If you have a problem sending a battery back to Amazon what an awful inconvenience. 

Complain to Amazon and send it back.

The Battery was not fit for purpose if it was sealed and leaking due to no plug being in it. AND, acid draining from a Battery in transit is a hazard which Amazon are liable for. If you contact Amazon they will usually take it back and pay for the postage in such cases.

I fail to see why you bought a Battery from Amazon. Last week I had one fitted to my 2nd car by the RAC, no fitting charge, they even connected a loop to see if there was a Battery drain, no problems just was the Battery worn out. No charge to me apart from the RAC for the battery, it's a win/win situation, and they fitted a Varta battery as well.

Regards, Mike.

7 hours ago, Mike169 said:

No charge to me apart from the RAC for the battery,

How much did they charge for it v what it is available at elsewhere?

Hi Scott.

I am assuming your post was directed at me?

If I am correct the price was variable as to the quality of Battery.

They started at £80 and the top end of the range with a 5 year g'tee was £140 and me being me went for the top of the range paying the £140 but I could of gone cheaper if I wished. As the car (A Lotus Evora) has a Toyota 3.5 litre Camry V6 engine in it and it still had the original Battery in it, a Varta and the RAC one was a Varta too and of course I try to do everything I can to save my wife ever getting into troubles perhaps I go over the top to cover any events.

The RAC man even put a 'loop' tester on the earth lead once he he'd fitted it to make sure there were no current drains which was none so confirming the old Battery had died and I didn't have to trickle charge it every 2 days which is what I was doing.

The battery is in the boot so now all I am doing is fitting a blue flat LED and place it some where close to the battery and can be seen through the rear window so I can just glance through the rear window making sure the new battery has say a minimum of 12.3 volts instead of me going in the boot with a voltmeter as I was doing. I don't know how the Chinese do it, ordered via Amazon so it is posted from China to here total price £6.01, the postal/shipping must be a good chunk of the money.

All the best to you Scott, I enjoy reading your posts. Mike.

21 minutes ago, Mike169 said:

If I am correct the price was variable as to the quality of battery.

They started at £80 and the top end of the range with a 5 year g'tee was £140 and me being me went for the top of the range paying the £140 but I could of gone cheaper if I wished. As the car (A Lotus Evora) has a Toyota 3.5 litre Camry V6 engine in it and it still had the original battery in it, a Varta and the RAC one was a Varta too and of course I try to do everything I can to save my wife ever getting into troubles perhaps I go over the top to cover any events.

Iirc the RAC (& similar) make a healthy profit on selling new batteries i.e. are somewhat dearer than you can get exactly the same thing elsewhere.

I don't know how the Chinese do it, ordered via Amazon so it is posted from China to here total price £6.01, the postal/shipping must be a good chunk of the money.

China & elsewhere are members of a carriage scheme(Universal Postal Union) where countries listed at high levels of development pay extra to help boost development elsewhere, while those listed as developing get a subsidy. That is why it is cheaper to send small parcels all the way from China to you than by internal mail within the UK.

I believe that there is to be some discussion reviewing current rates (e.g. Trump was making noises) & country qualification.

• Like 1

Well, I paid  £67.99 after using a £10 voucher I had. This Battery is £87 at ECP with their 50% discount and £111 at Halfords, probably £140 at RAC.

My safety net is that I bought directly from Amazon as I now they will sort it out if anything goes wrong and not a market place seller. Its got 5yrs guarantee.

The 005 fits perfectly in the Battery tray, car seems start a bit quicker.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links