Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Essential Care servicing replaced by 5+ Club

FROSTYBALLS

Toyota's Essential Care servicing programme for Toyotas over five years old has been replaced by the 5+ Club.

One has to register with Toyota to join the 5+ Club, which provides members with 20% off Toyota services and MOTs. Please note that 5+ Club is 'available at participating repairers only'. See - https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/service-mot-maintenance/servicing

For example the current cost of an Intermediate service (excluding MOT) for the Aygo will be reduced from £145 to £116.

The response to a query I raised today with Toyota GB is as follows:

"We have, as you have deduced, phased out our Essential Care programme in favour of the 5+ Club offering, which gives you access to the same service quality as you would with a newer vehicle going in for its Intermediate or Full service at a reduced cost, saving you 20% versus the cost on a vehicle still within its 5-year warranty period. This is in contrast to Essential Care, where a reduced number of items were inspected or replaced.

We'd like to think the 5+ Club offers an improvement over the previous Essential Care programme to ensure your Toyota is kept in tip-top condition for even longer. "

• Like 1

The Silver Service for an Auris over five years old was £120 under the discontinued scheme, I seem to remember. 

It is now £152 with  the 5+ Club (i.e. £190 - 20%).  But this is at participating dealers only, Toyota says.

So that is a 26% increase over what I paid for a Silver Service, but they do more things.  I must look harder on the Toyota website, I haven't found a list of what they do for the new schedule, it just wants me to go ahead and book it.

I wonder what the non-participating dealers do pricewise?

As far as I'm aware the breakdown of what each service includes is no longer on the website. I would imagine most dealers would sign up for 5+ club - the exception possibly being stand alone service centres (ie no sales outlet).

Also see 

I seem to remember that the list of what comprised the previous service schedule had three different, separate entries for changing the engine oil, i.e. :-

Drain engine oil

(Some Other activities went here)

Replace drain plug washer

(Some other activities went here)

Refill with engine oil

Didn't garages used to simply put:-

Drain and refill engine oil

They missed a trick not listing 'remove dust caps' separate to 'check tyre pressures' on the old schedule. 

I think I could do well in marketing. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just seen it, even with the 20% discoint it is a big jump:

Old Price    New Price with discont    Gone up by
120            152 (190-20%)                 26%
200            272 (340-20%)                 36%   

Toyota is doing it again, raising service cost too high and as a result lots of people will be going elsewhere.

35 minutes ago, SponsorUK said:

Just seen it, even with the 20% discoint it is a big jump

However, under Essential Care one had a reduced level of servicing, whereas 5+ Club is the standard servicing with a discount.

To be eligible for 5+ Club one has to register with Toyota GB.

Hi Frosty, well may be the service was reduced. But in my opinion, it very much depends on the dealer.
When I did the silver service for gen2 Prius in January, the dealer told me that the service is identical to the intermediate and they inspect tyres, brakes and suspension on all services, because they directly affect safety. I also got free wash and vac, and hybrid check.  Same dealer looked after my Prius for the last 7 years and probably wants to keep me as a customer.

To be honest, last time I compared intermediate/ full to silver/gold I did not find anything that was taken out, but that was done from the Toyota web site.
Would be great if you can tell what was not in silver / gold and now is in intermediate/ full.

As for registering for 5+ club, do you know if it is linked to My Toyota? Or do I need to register separately?
Thank you

As far as I'm aware you need to register separately.

As regards the servicing, Toyota have also revamped the service schedules - removing the Full+ service. Longer service items that were covered under the Full+ service (eg. spark plug change, coolant change) are now charged separately.