Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Keyless entry security advice

marlinleg

Hello to one and all

keyless theft do any members use any additional security and what

I have a new RAV4 Excel 2WD on order , I am looking ( just looking ) at

https://ghostne.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjYWehKLK4QIVbrXtCh3hiQIUEAAYASAAEgJXVfD_BwE

It’s £399 with a 3year Warranty = £2.60 a week 

And you can have the option of linking your Smart phone to it , so it unlocks automatic 

Looking at other forums it has very good reviews but not recognised by insurance company’s for any discount 

Your thoughts please 

Thank you

From the website it hasn't been tested by Thatcham Research (insurance industry funded research centre) or any other independent testing organisation, so one cannot be sure as to how effective it actually is.

I know a very good auto-electrician who fits all this sort of stuff & he rates the Ghost highly. However, you should consider how high on a list of targets a RAV4 is going to be?

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2018 RAV4 ESTATE 2.5 VVT-i Hybrid Icon TSS 5dr CVT
Can I ask if this kind of car / keyless fob system is susceptible to key fob theft?
As attached.

30127221_1502908789838283_42681044621883754_n.jpg

The majority of cars with keyless entry are susceptible to both the relay type and OBD port theft.

Protect the keys when in the house using a Faraday key bag and/or invest in a good quality, approved steering wheel lock.

I think that on your car you may be able to disable the fob sending a signal by a series of button presses. This would prevent a relay attack as there would be no signal to relay.

However, pretty much all modern cars [unless fitted with additional protective device(s)] can be attacked through the OBD port via a laptop although that may entail them smashing a window to gain entry to access that.