Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2008 Auris Automatic Ignition Coil P0351 and P0103

mohoshin

I have an intermittent check engine light which comes on. i connected my OBD scanner to my phone and 2 codes come up P0103 and P0351.

Initially i thought it was the MASS airflow sensor so i cleaned it with a carb cleaner spray but i still have same codes.

There after i took out the ignition coils power cable one by one to see if the engine sound changed which it did with all coils, so i could not work out which one is faulty as the sound should be the same when a faulty ignition coil cable is taken off !

Finally i took each ignition coil out and used a multimeter to read them at 20k ohm. 3 of the 4 coils read the same however one had a reading of 85 or something compared to 65 of the rest. this same coil i noticed is an aftermarket one unlike the other Denso ones.

Gratefull if anyone could tell me if i can pinpoint the dodgy coil using the OBD code i got ?

It would seem that P0351 is a generic code for ignition coil A, P0352 is ignition coil B, P0353 is ignition coil C etc.

So I would expect your code to point to the first coil, the one nearest to the drivers side on a r/h drive car.

Swapping the coil with the next one could be a way of confirming this, to see if you then get P0352.

Just in case you didn't know, the check engine light will come on at the time of the error happening, but after a certain number of engine on/offs without further errors being logged it will go out by itself.  I can't remember how many cycles and/or time that needs to pass for this to happen.

• Like 1

Hi, 

Yes I have previously had a faulty ignition coil on cylinder 1 and did exactly as Gerg suggested above. Swapping coil number one with number two changed the fault code from P0351 to P0352, proving that the coil originally from cylinder 1 was faulty. 

Thanks guys i will give this a try and swap the coils around and clear the fault to see if it comes up with a new P code, will start with the two nearest drivers side

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links