Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Petrol smell

ProfGlenn

Hi.  I have been getting intermittent petrol smells in my 1.8 hybrid.  Often when the heater is on auto and the engine warms up and it comes on full blast - then disappears.  HOWEVER, last night I put petrol in the car and it has been smelling badly.  I cannot see a leak.  Now it is really smelling of petrol today 24 hours later around the wheel arch where the petrol cap is - but no sign of a leak.  Any ideas please?  Thanks.  It's pretty bad.  No puddles, no wet patches, just a  strong smell of petrol.  I didn't spill any at the petrol station last night.

Have you checked for recalls? Here as there was one for possible leak from fuel pump

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Devon Aygo said:

Have you checked for recalls? Here as there was one for possible leak from fuel pump

Thanks - says I have no outstanding recalls.  I had the recent hybrid one.  When I click on your link, a fuel pump one isn't on the list for any model? But if it was that, it would explain my petrol smells, the vibration, the chugging .....hmmm.  But Toyota want £135 per hour to diagnose a fault!  I'm most concerned about the fuel smell.

Just had AA out- return pipe had a massive hole in it.  The technician patched it using a smaller pipe inside the existing pipe - is this dangerous?  

RETURN PIPE 2.JPG

Edited by ProfGlenn
FILE TOO LARGE

I would expect the AA man to have the skills to know if his (short term) repair was safe, but I'd definitely get it replaced with the correct size part.

What about this being rodent damage?  The pipe does looks like it has teeth marks in it!!!  Mystery solved?

In these pictures of the Auris fuel tank pipes, the filler cap is on the r/h side of the first picture, and obviously sits highest when in the car. Your pipe is on the l/h side, where the fuel tank attaches.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

2 hours ago, Gerg said:

I would expect the AA man to have the skills to know if his (short term) repair was safe, but I'd definitely get it replaced with the correct size part.

What about this being rodent damage?  The pipe does looks like it has teeth marks in it!!!  Mystery solved?

In these pictures of the Auris fuel tank pipes, the filler cap is on the r/h side of the first picture, and obviously sits highest when in the car. Your pipe is on the l/h side, where the fuel tank attaches.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks very much indeed Gerg.  I spoke to Toyota on the phone.  They don't know the part from the photo!  So it's booked in all day Tuesday for what should be a ten minute job!  Thanks a lot as always for your help!

I left it with Toyota.  They said that pipe comes with the fuel tank.  £650.  I said no way. So they asked for a pipe to be made by a supplier down the road - narrower at one end.  £65 was the quote.  Then told it was impossible.  So then I asked for a rubber "fuel" pipe to be inserted inside the existing pipe instead as I could not be sure the AA patch inside was a "fuel" pipe.  Left the car all day.  Nope.  Couldn't be done.  So Toyota stuck the AA patch back in again!

So in the end one of the service managers told me that if it was his car, he'd leave it with the AA patch as it seemed air tight.  Don't know if it is a "fuel" rubber pipe suitable for that pipe though.  

I'd say a  design flaw if you have to get a new fuel tank every time a squirrel eats your overflow pipe!!

So I  have left it with the AA's army fix.  A total palaver.  

Glenn

Yes, £650 does sound a bit steep just to get a short rubber pipe.  But, you might be able to negotiate a 10% discount at the dealers?  No, only joking.

There are some secondhand fuel cap/delivery pipe assemblies on eBay, but they're all around £75 delivered. From experience, their 'best offer' price is normally a 10-15% reduction, so £65 - £68?  I think all petrol variants will likely have the same part, probably the diesels too, although the diesel ones will be unpleasant to handle!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=auris+fuel+tank+pipe&_sacat=173950

Still an awfully large amount of loot.

Thanks Gerg,  I guess main question is, if it is airtight and the pipe is only really in action at full brim, will the AA patch be safe enough?  if it was safe enough for a few days, and it continues to hold, then it should be fine - yes?

I think the AA man will be a master at such things.  But, even if there is no leak of liquid, petrol vapour leakage  can be a real danger.

I am no expert, but as it mixes into greater dilutions with air it is stlll flammable and will even take on an explosive nature.

Several decades ago, I read that petrol in an air/fuel mix of 100 to 1 by weight has the explosive power of the weight of petrol as TNT.

Never seen that since, maybe someone knows better?

Petrol has just over 38 million calories (small 'c') in a gallon, got to err on the side of caution!

If the garage and the AA man have signed it off as roadworthy, then I would think it's ok.  It's so difficult without seeing and holding it.

If you can contact the AA or the technician who fitted the repair pipe, ask if the pipe is rated to be used with petrol. If they re not sure, ask who the supplier of the repair pipe and part number. Hopefully you will know it's okay to be used, and save you anymore bother. 

I think Gerg is right about rodent damage. Very unlucky and how do you protect against that? 

Exactly!  And it will almost certainly happen again with a new pipe!

If you have comprehensive insurance, and if it is rodent damage, you may be covered by your car insurance policy. Either check your policy or raise a query with the insurer.

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

If you have comprehensive insurance, and if it is rodent damage, you may be covered by your car insurance policy. Either check your policy or raise a query with the insurer.

Thanks - yeah Toyota mentioned this too.  And it is fully comp - but the excess would be more than a second hand overflow pipe.

Thanks

G

Yes, but I was thinking in terms of what you mentioned earlier regarding the pipe and tank replacement ......

15 hours ago, ProfGlenn said:

I left it with Toyota.  They said that pipe comes with the fuel tank.  £650.

12 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Yes, but I was thinking in terms of what you mentioned earlier regarding the pipe and tank replacement ......

Oh I see- thanks.  yes if that was the only option it would be an insurance job.  G