Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Removing rear seat bench to adjust seatbelt buckle.

Konrad C

I noticed the middle seatbelt buckle was not in the correct position, nearly 2 months after the fuel suction recall. So I decided to fix the problem myself. 

To remove the bench cushion, lift the front part by pulling up with a bit of force on the left and right sides. Then pull the bench forward. 20190412_132529.thumb.jpg.f7d27305765a6fea46e88ecc8b33c071.jpg

Looking at the photo showing the white fixings holding the bench in place,  and the black fixings at  the rear. 

20190412_132546.thumb.jpg.11a7986fc3dc4e6f49c4de564a81dd6e.jpg20190412_134552.thumb.jpg.cc1febf34f9d1047856b1a7abf8b0ee3.jpg

Close up of fixings. 

20190412_132518.thumb.jpg.d831f126da0449c38c528f229034f4ab.jpg20190412_134558.thumb.jpg.f5ab292bfc2ed1099c232792abb9162f.jpg

The rear seating area minus bench, and close up of the fixing point. 

The seat belt buckles 

20190412_134645.thumb.jpg.71c16bc8991e6c16ec81f223ad55efa0.jpg20190412_134643.thumb.jpg.3791fd631ec26828c67ea4b200beccef.jpg

The buckles in the second photo was tangled, so the middle buckle was barely protruding from the seat cushions. 

Whilst the bench was out, I noticed the seat cover hooks were not in place, so I fixed them 20190412_132543.thumb.jpg.1a2b10da5478cf9da940cbb13d080af6.jpg20190412_134722.thumb.jpg.ee05df1ef1d0d29eb50a823fc0f64b56.jpg

All done and fitting is reversal of removing - put the rear cushion tags below the bar under the seat backs, locate the front pins in their fixing points, and push down firmly, until they click into position. 

The buckle now fits in its park position when not in use, and the loose feel of the bench is gone. I found a few things that I lost under the bench from the boot. 

20190412_134549.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 4/13/2019 at 9:44 AM, saxo265 said:

Nice job! 👍

Thank you Nick. I should have made this a how to remove the rear bench of a T27 (Tourer). 🙂

• 4 years later...

Great job, where is the fuel filter, in the middle?

2 hours ago, Hillbillie said:

Great job, where is the fuel filter, in the middle?

I believe the fuel filter is part of the fuel pump. 

50 minutes ago, Konrad C said:

I meant the filter in the tank, from your pics , looks like it's under that round plate (almost middle).

Thnks

• Like 1

The white plastic should stay in the car not comming out with the seat, glue the white plastic to the car with foxi glue, that it wont come out, it was when i did a project to make silence in the car.

20221008_104814.jpg

20220901_215225.jpg

Nice idea, but I'm trying to find the in-tank fuel filter, is it under that round/pear shaped plastic in the middle?

If so , how to open it <flat screwdriver>?

Thanks 

intankfilter.jpg

On 8/6/2023 at 6:30 PM, Konrad C said:

Ahh , just seen another post re filter/pump in the tank 

But they're petrol, I'm not sure if my 2012 2adt diesel has an in tank pump just a filter.

But would still like to confirm it's under the round/pearshape piece<see pic> (by the seat belts in your pic? And I guess, prize it off with a screwdriver)?..

It's about 36°C where I am, so would like to confirm before starting!

Many thanks.

intankfilter.jpg

why you need to open it ? you don't need to change this filter never, it's a car lifetime filter.

If it's anything like my old Yaris D4D (Emphasis on the IF), the metal plate will be held on with the Stickiest Tar Glue Stuff In The World, but will be pryable out with a big screwdriver or other sturdy levering tool. Don't let the adhesive get on your clothes, or anything you don't want a permanent black goo stain on, as it won't come off without some fairly strong solvents!

Underneath the metal lid will be the diesel fuel sender unit, which you'll probably need some sort of tool to unscrew the big retainer ring. As you say it won't have an actual pump, but will have fuel and return lines going to the fuel pickup tube, and wiring for the fuel-level float.

The sender will have a mesh bag strainer over the pickup, similar to petrols, but not a 'proper' fuel filter as such - With Toyota D4Ds the diesel fuel filter is usually in the engine bay.

2 hours ago, avensis_2018 said:

why you need to open it ? you don't need to change this filter never, it's a car lifetime filter.

At 200k, this gauze 'filter' is going to be full of slime/grunge an who knows what.

If a fuel filter 'normally' has a water release mechanism, where did the water come from?

The tank, along with slime, mould, algae etc.

But I was looking for an answer as to where it is, 7nder the seat not a debate of "diesel tank usage and lifetime".

I know that, try cleaning a boats tank.

But hey, thanks.... I'll tell my mechanic when we're in the Pacific.

Ta .

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

If it's anything like my old Yaris D4D (Emphasis on the IF), the metal plate will be held on with the Stickiest Tar Glue Stuff In The World, but will be pryable out with a big screwdriver or other sturdy levering tool. Don't let the adhesive get on your clothes, or anything you don't want a permanent black goo stain on, as it won't come off without some fairly strong solvents!

Underneath the metal lid will be the diesel fuel sender unit, which you'll probably need some sort of tool to unscrew the big retainer ring. As you say it won't have an actual pump, but will have fuel and return lines going to the fuel pickup tube, and wiring for the fuel-level float.

The sender will have a mesh bag strainer over the pickup, similar to petrols, but not a 'proper' fuel filter as such - With Toyota D4Ds the diesel fuel filter is usually in the engine bay.

Thanks, as you can see in Konrad's pics, it's the "which one is it?" .

In those pics, doesn't look like too much sticky stuff, probably a long fat screwdriver (+2/3 thin ones to get it in).

Cheers (n yes I know where the filter is! At 200k....call it an in tank gauze then, it's still a filter!)

Thanks.

When you open it please take some pics it interesting to see the "dirt" after 200k mills .for my opinion it still will be like a new one, this filter its not like paper one its from iron, i know toyota cars are boaring after a while you start to do things because you think hey ... why i dont have any problems, i must do this and that ... in the end it keeps on going with do nothing, this is toyota! thank you.

15 hours ago, avensis_2018 said:

When you open it please take some pics it interesting to see the "dirt" after 200k mills .for my opinion it still will be like a new one, this filter its not like paper one its from iron, i know toyota cars are boaring after a while you start to do things because you think hey ... why i dont have any problems, i must do this and that ... in the end it keeps on going with do nothing, this is toyota! thank you.

Will do, but at 36°C it'll be awhile before I jump in the back!

Just a btw, have you ever cleaned an EGR?= No it's a Toyota doesn't need it?

Really...

Edited by Hillbillie
Add justification...

Egr yes in my car, also air filter sensor, also ither stuff when im boring ... my other car 180k m never do so because its my wife car = better no touching. And still runing like new with doing nothing only one year visit in the toyota for oil filter brakes  and so... thats it.   !

Tyers and Battery change every 4 years.

On 8/9/2023 at 10:44 PM, avensis_2018 said:

The white plastic should stay in the car not comming out with the seat, glue the white plastic to the car with foxi glue, that it wont come out, it was when i did a project to make silence in the car.

20221008_104814.jpg

20220901_215225.jpg

The plastic plugs went back in their locations regardless, so I don't think it matters too much. If you read my original post, I had to sort out the bench because it was not refitted properly by the dealer after the recall. This includes correcting the seatbelt buckle. To date the rear bench has been fine and stayed in place. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/16/2023 at 2:42 PM, Konrad C said:

The plastic plugs went back in their locations regardless, so I don't think it matters too much. If you read my original post, I had to sort out the bench because it was not refitted properly by the dealer after the recall. This includes correcting the seatbelt buckle. To date the rear bench has been fine and stayed in place. 

intankfilter.jpg

Many thanks for replying ,

But the point is :

where is the gause/float intank access point, in  that pic?

The pear shape bit, nearby the mid seat buckles, prize open with a couple of flat head screwdrivers?

That is the question. Don't want to try pulling bits apart at 36°C, and be Wrong!

And thanks for all your posts (loved the ABS paperclip, worked great)

Cheers 

intankfilter.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links