Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Aygo replacement discs and pads


blackpoolskier
 Share

Recommended Posts

My Aygo 2012 36,000 mile has just had its service and MOT at my local independent  Toyota garage, whilst on the ramp they rang me and said that although it would pass its MOT the discs and pads are getting low and they could do the job at a discount price of £195, no thanks was my reply. When I questioned why the cost they said that they have to fit original Toyota parts and charge 1 hours labour, they acknowledge that the job was  fairly simple job but had standard charge rates

So I have started looking at replacement discs and pads and its a mine field with regard to makes, good reviews bad reviews etc;

Has anybody got any recommendations for makes of discs and pads ??? is it worth buying original Toyota parts ??? (Toyotaparts driect.co.uk) have got original parts at not a bad price.

The car is only driven around town and therfore heavy on the brakes

Link to comment
Share on other sites


If you really want whats probably the best Brembo is what to go for. But Brembo is expensive.

But my shop mainly uses TRW, which is quite cheap (we only pay like 13 euro's per Aygo disc), and its rock solid. 0 complains from customers. TRW is also standard on many cars (everything from VW to Honda, and probably several Toyota models too). So bang for the buck, TRW is what to go for.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I bought my 2013 Aygo (22,000 miles), the discs weren't in the best state, so I had the Toyota dealer replace them with "air quotes" Toyota parts. Now on 37,000 miles and the discs are getting shoddy again, which leads me to believe they don't fit the best quality parts. In the summer, I've decided to fit Brembo discs and pads, which at a local independent garage, actually costs less than Toyota dealership originals.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, blackpoolskier said:

My Aygo 2012 36,000 mile has just had its service and MOT at my local independent  Toyota garage, whilst on the ramp they rang me and said that although it would pass its MOT the discs and pads are getting low and they could do the job at a discount price of £195, no thanks was my reply. When I questioned why the cost they said that they have to fit original Toyota parts and charge 1 hours labour, they acknowledge that the job was  fairly simple job but had standard charge rates

So I have started looking at replacement discs and pads and its a mine field with regard to makes, good reviews bad reviews etc;

Has anybody got any recommendations for makes of discs and pads ??? is it worth buying original Toyota parts ??? (Toyotaparts driect.co.uk) have got original parts at not a bad price.

The car is only driven around town and therfore heavy on the brakes

£195 is simply ridiculous. There are no such things as 'Original' Toyota brakes. Like other vehicle makers, Toyota don't make brakes, they just buy them in. I have recently fitted disks and pads to our 2015 Aygo, and it is an easy job for an owner to do and needs hardly any tools. Took me about 45 minutes for the first side, and only 20 minutes for the other side. My guide was from U-Tube. There is nothing complicated, no small parts to lose. 

My new disks and pads set cost only £34.99 bought on eBay from QSP Outlet, which is parts of the 'Quicks' group, which is one of the biggest new car and parts dealers in the UK. They don't sell rubbish.  Disks are good quality vented type, and pads exactly match originals.  Car passed MOT 2 weeks back. Brakes perfect. Hope below is the correct eBay link, otherwise, just search from user qsp_outlet.

 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=132310819353

I've bought a set of rear brakes shoes too, but have not fitted them yet, because the existing ones are still OK for a while. I'll change them when its a bit warmer weather. Fdor anyone interested, the brake shoes came from eBay too.  For those interested, I bought the shoe set for £11.99 on Ebay. There are several sellers about that price. No need to pay more.

One thing. I noticed that some sellers have their Aygo brakes marked 2005 -2015, but should now be 2005-2018, because they are all the same. I checked that with QSP outlet who say they will amend thirv auction heading, but pointed out that further down the auction page they do show that all models are listed, up until 2018     

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, jonnyboy80 said:

There are no such things as 'Original' Toyota brakes.

As with any vehicle manufacturer, parts supplied by their dealer network are usually packaged using that manufacturer's brand and described as 'original', 'genuine' or 'OE', regardless of who the manufacturer of the parts are. The parts are made to the vehicle manufacturers requirements.

This has been the case for years, and doesn't just apply to vehicles. For example the rubber door seal to a Siemens washing machine won't be made by BSH Group (who make Bosch, Siemens and Neff products), but any replacement will be in BSH Group packaging.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Hi

I replaced the front discs n pads on my 2008 Aygo...so simple...purchased the parts from our dealer though...7000 miles later...hmmm....the pads have worn quite a bit and the discs look a but shoddy but all works fine...i’d recommend a good brand over dealer parts...check Halfords and Euro Car Parts for their options.

Best of luck

Glad you avoided that 195.00 dealer quote...if you diy the job youll get it done far less...id say more than half!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/14/2019 at 1:51 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

The parts are made to the vehicle manufacturers requirements.

True if as often happens these days,the vehicle maker is the designer of the part, has subcontracted manufacture, and is sole user of the part, but not so in the case of the many common parts where the opposite applies. The manufacturer chooses from standard parts that are readily available in the market, and for at least five very good reasons: suitability, availability, proven performance, duality/plurality of supply, and cost. In the case of brakes for production cars, no vehicle manufacturer would specify anything which is not available in the market place. That is exactly why there are so many choices available for Aygo owners.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, jonnyboy80 said:

True if as often happens these days,the vehicle maker is the designer of the part, has subcontracted manufacture, and is sole user of the part, but not so in the case of the many common parts where the opposite applies. The manufacturer chooses from standard parts that are readily available in the market, and for at least five very good reasons: suitability, availability, proven performance, duality/plurality of supply, and cost. In the case of brakes for production cars, no vehicle manufacturer would specify anything which is not available in the market place. That is exactly why there are so many choices available for Aygo owners.

No - as someone who comes from a procurement background and is used to sourcing the market, the manufacturer will source from their supply chain, parts which meet their requirements/specificiation. Depending how close the relationship is between the manufacturer and component supplier and depending on the type of part, parts may well be designed by the component supplier to meet the requirements/specification. For some parts, vehicle manufacturers may have more than one supplier to ensure continuity of supply, but that isn't always the case.

One example where parts used by a vehicle manufacturer weren't generally available in the marketplace was the Toyota Verso S, where the OE tyres were a specific, unusual (for the UK) size. These tyres weren't generally available in the UK for months and the tyre manufacturer (Dunlop) had no plans to introduce that size in the UK.

The fact that there is so much choice in the UK for certain vehicles/parts, is down to third party manufacturers seeing there is a viable market for them to produce parts for those vehicles and nothing else.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Out of interest fixed price repair costs for front brake pads and discs for the Aygo/C1/107/108 from the respective dealer networks are:

Toyota - £205

PSA (Peugeot/Citroen) - £279 using PSA parts or £199 using PSA approved parts.

Prices set by the vehicle importers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i've used pagid brake disc's & pads in the past for our Aygo

from eurocar parts , pagid supply oem's so you know they

will be of a good quality.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


here is a screen shot from euro car parts with the parts you need listed.

if you apply the discount code the price may come down more

pads & discs.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I have used Mintex pads on mine before, and at the weekend I will be changing the discs and pads to Mintex again. They're a good reasonable brand, and the car still stops!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/16/2019 at 4:04 PM, eygo said:

i've used pagid brake disc's & pads in the past for our aygo

from eurocar parts , pagid supply oem's so you know they

will be of a good quality.

I’ve also fitted Pagid to my daughters car..they are the best kept secret in the motor trade ...top quality and pre painted 👍🏻👍🏻

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

FWIW, in my experience I find the genuine Toyota pads and discs to be very good in terms of brake feel and bite, even from cold, and have never faded.  Like with tyres, I never compromise on quality as you really want to have the best possible chance of stopping (and steering) when you need to...and not end up in a ditch (or worse).

I tend to buy genuine items for all my cars and fit them myself.  That way I know I have fitted the right parts and the jobs been done right.

As it happens, no matter how good the genuine Toyota items are, they do seem to be made from butter and toast...I end up replacing pads every and discs every 15K-20K miles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, AL21784 said:

I think they are trying to have your pants down are nearly £200,

The OP declined the dealer's offer.

Having said that, some owners don't have either the inclination, facilities or the space to undertake their own maintenance tasks such as brake pad/disk replacement, so are reliant on having the work done by garages, whether main dealer or independent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The OP declined the dealer's offer.

Having said that, some owners don't have either the inclination, facilities or the space to undertake their own maintenance tasks such as brake pad/disk replacement, so are reliant on having the work done by garages, whether main dealer or independent.

This is why I mainly buy new every 3 years, I get them through their first MOT and ignore the warnings I might get on the report and just swap the car for a new one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Wiz201 said:

This is why I mainly buy new every 3 years, I get them through their first MOT and ignore the warnings I might get on the report and just swap the car for a new one.

In all fairness, my current Toyota Aygo is one I get through works lease scheme, so I don’t even have to change a wiper blade, I take it to my local dealer and they do it all, however if it was my own car I’d be the first to get my hands dirty. I’ve already ordered a Yaris gr-sport and that will be the same. 

3 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The OP declined the dealer's offer.

Having said that, some owners don't have either the inclination, facilities or the space to undertake their own maintenance tasks such as brake pad/disk replacement, so are reliant on having the work done by garages, whether main dealer or independent.

That’s a fair point, I take my garage and tools for granted at times, I’m one for ‘ if I can do it myself, I will’ I’ve currently got a Saab 9-3 2.0 Turbo in my garage waiting to be tinkered with. 

 

Alan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/17/2019 at 4:03 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

The OP declined the dealer's offer.

Having said that, some owners don't have either the inclination, facilities or the space to undertake their own maintenance tasks such as brake pad/disk replacement, so are reliant on having the work done by garages, whether main dealer or independent.

To be fair, I've always done the brakes myself, but there's a torx screw on the disc that is a proper PITA to remove especially when (not if) it strips. If I took it to the dealer I'd fully expect to pay £150 just to take that damn screw off!!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mickburkesnr said:

If I took it to the dealer I'd fully expect to pay £150 just to take that damn screw off!!

Not under the fixed price repair

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/19/2019 at 8:53 AM, mickburkesnr said:

To be fair, I've always done the brakes myself, but there's a torx screw on the disc that is a proper PITA to remove especially when (not if) it strips. If I took it to the dealer I'd fully expect to pay £150 just to take that damn screw off!!

That torks screw needs a screw driver with a hammer function to get it off. You could use a strong torx screw driver and try to hammer on it as you twist it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

you could use some heat on the screw incase at the factory a threadlock adhesive has been used

this will help to soften the adhesive and ease the removal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 years later...

Yes, try whacking the heads with a few times with a big hammer - avoiding damage, then using six point socket / ring spanner

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share





×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership