Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dab

Sarah4

Hi l have just bought a second hand urban cruiser an l love it , I’m into music so would really love a dab radio in my car , the car has the stereo that came with it , on the face of the radio it has text- fm - and a button that says am/dab  l would like to know if there is equipment  that l can buy to receive dab such as an Ariel and a box like a small tuner , not really interested in changing to one that has sat nav an all . Hopefully you can advise me . Thanks 

There would have been a DAB module as an option which, when fitted, would have provided DAB via the button mentioned.

You could consider a DAB adapter such as one of the Pure Highway models - https://www.pure.com/uk/car-audio/products

Sold by Halfords for example

Hi Sarah, welcome to TOC 🙂

It almost certainly came "DAB Ready" i.e. it could be added by fitting an additional DAB tuner module. https://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/{B343C458-E98A-CDA3-E1B3-498271ECE98A}/Urban_Cruiser_DAB_RHD_PZ473_T0210_A0_AIM_001_472_2.pdf 

The official Toyota one will not be cheap (I did notice this on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Toyota-Urban-Cruiser-DAB-Digital-Radio-/360617582959 - Burrows are a Toyota dealer) & it's probably much cheaper to add something like a Pure Highway 200/400/600 (depending which features you want) or AutoDAB/Connects2 unit.

• 3 weeks later...

You might be able to buy it through a dealer, or via eBay as mentioned. But please be aware that this OEM unit is DAB-only, and is not capable of receiving DAB+, and will therefore be rendered obsolete in the very near future. 

There will be launched an updated version of this unit with DAB and DAB+ hopefully within the coming months, at a competitive pricepoint 🙂

The UK doesn't have DAB+ transmissions though ...

I beg to differ... You've had DAB+ since early 2016 :) But what's more important is that from January 2021 DAB+ will be mandatory in new cars sold within most European countries and the UK will at some point have to move to DAB+ as most other countries in Europe (+ Australia) as pledged to do this.

Better to wait and see what happens with Brexit.😂🤣🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, @lpher said:

I beg to differ... You've had DAB+ since early 2016 🙂 But what's more important is that from January 2021 DAB+ will be mandatory in new cars sold within most European countries and the UK will at some point have to move to DAB+ as most other countries in Europe (+ Australia) as pledged to do this.

Actually before that in test broadcast 😉 . No plans for national roll out though. Any in NI where the op lives? 

If one buys a new car & it comes with DAB+ fair enough. The UK doesn't have to move to DAB+ though just because some other countries have (& current policy is that the UK radio industry has no plans to). With 5G coming perhaps people will move to streaming services via internet rather than radio ...

In regards to Brexit… As an outsider...I feel i better stay out of political subjects! 😄 

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:41 AM, Heidfirst said:

Actually before that in test broadcast 😉 . No plans for national roll out though. Any in NI where the op lives? 

If one buys a new car & it comes with DAB+ fair enough. The UK doesn't have to move to DAB+ though just because some other countries have (& current policy is that the UK radio industry has no plans to). With 5G coming perhaps people will move to streaming services via internet rather than radio ...

I've worked in this business for a few decades now...and i can tell you for sure that you will get DAB+...sometime... Question is when off course 🙂 The main incentive is on the transmitting end...as there are significant costsavings for radiostations with using DAB+ instead of DAB. In regards to using 4G or 5G for radio listening instead...it wont be feasible for many years yet, and even then...IF it becomes possible for the 5G network to handle radio traffic also...most countries also have laws that require radio to be "free, and for all" 

Although i must admit it seems that many radiostations in the UK have missed the mark, as they in many cases seem to have crammed way to many stations on to each multiplex...with the result that many DAB-stations have !Removed! sound quality...even on small cheap tabletop radios...and THAT's a real achievement if you ask me! 😄

18 hours ago, @lpher said:

The main incentive is on the transmitting end...as there are significant costsavings for radiostations with using DAB+ instead of DAB.

snip

Although i must admit it seems that many radiostations in the UK have missed the mark, as they in many cases seem to have crammed way to many stations on to each multiplex...with the result that many DAB-stations have !Removed! sound quality...even on small cheap tabletop radios...and THAT's a real achievement if you ask me! 😄

is there not a correlation between the 2 of these ...? 😛

I note an announcement that Cumbria/SW Scotland is to get new DAB multiplexes - no mention of DAB+.

• 1 month later...

I attended the WorldDAB Automotive seminar in Italy last week, and got first hadn information about what happens with DAB in Europe (+ Australia) And although you guys are heading for the exit door...in relation to EU-membership...your government will seemingly adopt the same line as all other EU membercountries that states that DAB+ will have to be made mandatory on new cars before the end of 2020!

And although it in no way is a perfect allegory...imagine not wanting to invest in 5G...as 4G is "more than enough"?! 😄  Weird thing...for broadcaster this isn't actually far off.

But as I've previously stated...many of the radiobroadcasters needs to make an effort to transit in much higher soundquality than they do today...as the DAB+ system is more than capable of this 🙂  Also...integrated DAB-solutions needs to be available for cars...as much of the cheaper dash-mounted DAB-units isn't doing the listening experience any favours either! 😄

Oh...i almost forgot...

Here's a link to a video quickly just threw together to show to the OP, what the new integrated system will look on her car 🙂

This is actually a world Exclusive...as this is the first time these Toyota radios have been able to receive DAB+ signals and not only DAB signals as the OEM module did! 😄

And...also...before the moderators goes to town on me...i have not...and will not sell any of units on this board (or directly anywhere else)...as I'm only affiliated with the manufacturer...and our intention is to sell this solution through either Toyota/Lexus dealers and reputable carstereo and accessories dealers 🙂

37 minutes ago, @lpher said:

But as I've previously stated...many of the radiobroadcasters needs to make an effort to transit in much higher soundquality than they do today...as the DAB+ system is more than capable of this 🙂 

Yes, it is but, at least in the UK, the radio industry seems to see it as a way to reduce their costs/increase their potential profit rather than improve sound quality.

&, again in the UK, there are still large areas with no DAB coverage at all or patchy reception even in major cities.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/05/22/digital_future_is_not_dab/

I agree that the sound quality should be addressed...

• 1 year later...

My car has a dab button 2010 is there something  i must do as i cant get the stations also cant get voice on sat nav

43 minutes ago, Keely said:

My car has a dab button 2010 is there something  i must do as i cant get the stations also cant get voice on sat nav

On media units of this vintage, DAB was an optional module, and the DAB button was there for when the module was fitted. Without the module, the button does nothing.

Thanx can you get the module fitted ,and do you know how i get voice on sat nav pleas 

DAB info HERE good luck though as it is a 10 year old accessory and likely not available from Toyota.

I suspect you would have TNS700 HERE is the owners manual

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links