Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How is the sound quality of the audio system for a 2010-2013 Avensis?

bgst

Hi, this is my first post in here so hello everyone!

I need a new car and right now I'm considering an Avensis  2010-2013 (not the one with premium JBL audio). I'm from Denmark where cars are very expensive, so that's why I'm considering such an old car.

I tried a 2010 model and noticed that the sound quality from the radio wasn't great. I didn't really think about it until I got home, and now I wished I had spent more time testing the audio. I found the sound to have a smiley characteristic with boomy and unfocused bass, unrefined treble and no midrange.

So how is the audio compared to similar cars? Maybe the eq in the one I tried was on some weird setting. I not expecting miracles from factory audio and I don't need deep bass I just need clear pleasant sound so I can hear music with my familiy when we go on holiday:) 

Also, if I end up being dissatisfied with the audio, is it expensive to replace the system? I guess it is more expensive to replace if I buy a version with backup camera right?

Thanks
Benjamin

Hi Benjamin, welcome to TOC 🙂

Here in the UK afaik we didn't get the option of JBL, however, according to grade, you got a 6 or 9 speaker system. Tbh neither will astound you.

It's more expensive to replace ones that are also built-in satnav.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find the Stereo in mine more than acceptable, sound better when playing from USB, bluetooth or CD but there's a variety of options to adjust the EQ. The only thing I find at slow speeds the volume has to be turned up a lot as it turns it up as you go faster. 

• Thanks 1

There are a couple of issues - the stereo with limited tone adjustment and the Speakers. I keep the bass at 1 or 2, and the treble at 2 or 3. If you are playing the music from a phone via AUX or bluetooth, you can use the equalizer on the phone to tune the sound. You can't do much if playing CD, or MP3 via USB stick/CD. The Speakers have weak midrange and that's the main issue. I have not bothered changing mine.

3 minutes ago, Peter Wilks said:

I find the Stereo in mine more than acceptable, sound better when playing from USB, Bluetooth or CD but there's a variety of options to adjust the EQ. The only thing I find at slow speeds the volume has to be turned up a lot as it turns it up as you go faster. 

Have you tried different ASL settings. The ASL has four levels - Off/Low/Mid/High. Press the audio control a number of times until you reach ASL, then turn to correct level. Low has the least sound level boost for high speed, High gives much higher boost. I set mine to Low. This is for the standard stereo so the Nav versions might be a little different. 

Thanks, has anyone replaced the speakers/radio? I wonder how much it would cost to get decent audio? If it isn't too expensive I might take the chance and buy the car and then just replace the audio if I'm not satisfied. Else I might look for another used car.

I replaced 4 Speakers in my Auris. You will be surpriced to see the quality of the factory Speakers. Or the missing quality that is. The factory speaker is 250 gram per unit. The aftermarket speaker is 800 gram. 

I bought pretty cheap ones for replacement (1500 DKK /4 speakers) , doesnt matter really, everything is way better than the factory Speakers

Install is easy, Thansen has tools to pull door panels off. Install time for 4 speakers is 4 hours or less. 

18 hours ago, bgst said:

Thanks, has anyone replaced the speakers/radio? I wonder how much it would cost to get decent audio?

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Avensis-09-onwards-Pioneer-17cm-Front-Door-Speaker-Upgrade-Kit-240W/331566803473

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, nielshm said:

I replaced 4 speakers in my Auris. You will be surpriced to see the quality of the factory speakers. Or the missing quality that is. The factory speaker is 250 gram per unit. The aftermarket speaker is 800 gram. 

I bought pretty cheap ones for replacement (1500 DKK /4 speakers) , doesnt matter really, everything is way better than the factory speakers. 

Install is easy, Thansen has tools to pull door panels off. Install time for 4 speakers is 4 hours or less. 

So how was the sound after replacing the Speakers? Do I need to replace the head unit as well?

My biggest issue is the sound level. Sound quality improves greatly, streaming music in best possible quality really sounds great. FM radio is not very different, I think the basic broadcast is pretty low quality, so new Speakers doesnt make much difference. 

The front Speakers has decent volume, but the rear Speakers volume are very low. Balance can be adjusted from front to rear, but that doesnt seem like the right solution. I think replacing the headunit is the only solution to make things better, but I have no experiense. 

• Thanks 1