Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Electric Windows

Mick F

We have a Yaris Hybrid 2014 Excel.

All four windows are electrically driven and can be opened fully or partially if you release the switch thingy before they are fully open or closed ................. except the driver's window.  It opens fully and closes fully but not partially.  The switch thingy says "Auto" on it.

Is there a way to open the driver's window partially?

All the other cars we've owned with electric windows, the driver's window operates in the same way as all the other windows.

Am I missing something here?  Is there another way of operating the driver's window?

Mick.

On both my previous Auris, if one released the Auto switch before the window fully opened or closed, the window would stop partially open.

It’s a two position switch. When you pull it up, to close, or push it down, to open, you will feel a slight click. So to open partially, press down gently and the window will open. When it’s opened as far as you want, release the button and the window will stop moving. If you push it down through the click and release it will open all the way. This obviously works in reverse to close the window.

• Like 1

Also, if you've started it doing a fully open/close op, flicking the switch in the opposite direction at the point you want it to stay will stop it.

13 hours ago, PeteB said:

Also, if you've started it doing a fully open/close op, flicking the switch in the opposite direction at the point you want it to stay will stop it.

Tried that endlessly. If I flick it in the opposite direction, the window changes direction.

16 hours ago, Jonmartin said:

It’s a two position switch. When you pull it up, to close, or push it down, to open, you will feel a slight click. So to open partially, press down gently and the window will open. When it’s opened as far as you want, release the button and the window will stop moving. If you push it down through the click and release it will open all the way. This obviously works in reverse to close the window.

This seems like it could be correct.  I'll have a go next time I'm in the car.  Thanks.

16 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

On both my previous Auris, if one released the Auto switch before the window fully opened or closed, the window would stop partially open.

I've tried that too, but it carries on all the way.  I reckon that Jonmartin has the best bet.

Thanks guys, Mick.

1 hour ago, Mick F said:

Tried that endlessly. If I flick it in the opposite direction, the window changes direction.

This seems like it could be correct.  I'll have a go next time I'm in the car.  Thanks.

I've tried that too, but it carries on all the way.  I reckon that Jonmartin has the best bet.

Thanks guys, Mick.

My advice is, be gentle, but that can be difficult when concentrating on driving and the car is bumping about, due to crappy raid surfaces.

Hi, Try resetting switch function. Select down and hold in down position for 5 secs after window stops. Select up and again hold switch up for 5 secs after movement stops. Then try a full down followed by full up. A gentle press of switch should then allow you to stop anywhere in the range.Failing all that, replace the switch.

4 hours ago, Mick F said:

Tried that endlessly. If I flick it in the opposite direction, the window changes direction...

That's how it should work.

Phil's solution may well solve the problem, especially if the problem arose since the 12V Battery has been disconnected, replaced or flat.

If not, has the switch ever been replaced, maybe with the wrong part (although if the switch has "Auto" on it, it should be ok.

With the car switched off, when you gently press or lift the switch, can you feel a 'click' half way?  If not, then the switch is probably at fault.  Moving the switch too little to feel the click should make it only move until you release the switch, passing the click should enter Auto mode to fully open or close it, unless you operate the switch again without feeling the click, in which case it should stop.which 

25 minutes ago, PeteB said:

With the car switched off, when you gently press or lift the switch, can you feel a 'click' half way?

Just tried this.  Not driving today, so I had a test of the switch and felt it. There is a very gentle first click.  Hardly noticeable but knowing that there should be one, I can feel it ok but it will take some practice to do it perhaps.

Thinking about it, we had a Fiat500 with this "two-stage" button, but it was a definite audible click with that car.  The Yaris is very feint in comparison and with no audible click.  That's why I didn't notice anything.

It'll be tomorrow maybe, before we will be driving, and I'll be giving it a good test.

As an aside, we rarely open the windows, using the automatic climate control to provide ventilation instead.  It's just that we have a new puppy (Border Collie) in the household and can't leave him unattended so take him in the car when we go shopping etc.  One of us has to stay with him in the car of course when parked up, and now the weather is warmer, it's good to have the windows open a tad .................. hence my question.

Mick.

Done it! 😀

Nothing to hear, very little to feel, but there is a faint "notch".

Thanks muchly, Mick.

• 4 weeks later...

Another related question.

If the driver switches off and leaves the car taking the key with him and leaves someone still in, how can the passenger open a window for some ventilation when they are all electric?

I know the windows will still operate a couple minutes after switching off, but after that period, they won't budge.  Is it possible for a car passenger to open or close the windows later?  If so, how?

Mick.