Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil viscosity recommendation

bathtub tom

My Yaris's now five years old, so I'm taking servicing under my wing. Toyota's recommendation for engine oil's 0W-20 (API SL,SM,SN), but have you seen the price of that stuff?

I've no idea what the main dealer used while previously serviced, but the consensus of the oil websites seems to be 5W-30 (API SL), which is a damn site cheaper.

Anyone done a critical analysis of oil use in Yaris viscosity? As I see it, the only advantage of using the thinner oil is improved economy and lower emissions - perhaps!

We have always used 5w/30 fully synthetic in our Yaris.....past and present.

No issues

0w20 is superior oil than 5w30, especially Toyota own brands. This Petronas 0w20 is very good oil indeed, I highly recommend that oil over any 5w30, not only for fuel economy but engine protection too. In modern engines as thinner is the oil is better, great price too. Using a genuine oil filter or aftermarket but of high quality is also very important. 

• Like 1

Hi.

Oil choice is important but both grades mentioned will do the job.

Generally Toyota garages use 5/20w because it's cheaper.

As my car is a few years old now I had the oil changed at a local garage rather than the main dealers as this way I still get a rubber stamp in the service book.

I insisted they used 0/20w low ash and they did and I instantly noticed the mpg on the dash computerised gauge went up 3 mpg so although the 0/20w oil is a tad dearer it won't take long to recover the small extra cost involved.

Mike.

Toyota owners manuals for Optimal Drive petrol engines state that the recommended engine oil is 0W-20. 5W-30 may be used, but should be replaced with 0W-20 at the next oil change.

Some dealers use 5W-30 as under Block Exemption, Toyota cannot insist a particular oil is used.

I have a Honda Jazz : recommended  oil 0w20

For a year I used 5w30 - both fully synthetic.. (and both recommended grades)

Over a 12 month period the difference in mpg was 0.4mpg on an average 43mpg.. (in favour of the 0w20).

Hardly worth the extra money 

(These are Fuelly figures- dash computer figures are unreliable and mpg is so variable on style, terrain and temperature that the ONLY real test is over an extended period)

• Like 1

Economy isn't the only reason for Toyota recommending 0W-20 - easier starting (especially in cold westher) is the other reason.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Toyota owners manuals for Optimal Drive petrol engines state that the recommended engine oil is 0W-20. 5W-30 may be used, but should be replaced with 0W-20 at the next oil change.

Some dealers use 5W-30 as under Block Exemption, Toyota cannot insist a particular oil is used.

I took for granted that Toyota dealer garage/workshop always used the recomended and best oil when they performed service but... do you mean that I have to ask for this in specific?

In the UK dealers usually use 0W-20 for hybrids as a matter of course. However, for petrol models some use 5W-30. I always request 0W-20 be used, and additionally have the use of this oil written into my service plan.

It may be different in your country.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

In the UK dealers usually use 0W-20 for hybrids as a matter of course. However, for petrol models some use 5W-30. I always request 0W-20 be used, and additionally have the use of this oil written into my service plan.

13 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Thanks.

Ill ask my local dealer next week.

Booked time for service on our Prius+ 8th May

16 hours ago, Madasafish said:

I have a Honda Jazz : recommended  oil 0w20

For a year I used 5w30 - both fully synthetic.. (and both recommended grades)

Over a 12 month period the difference in mpg was 0.4mpg on an average 43mpg.. (in favour of the 0w20).

Hardly worth the extra money 

(These are Fuelly figures- dash computer figures are unreliable and mpg is so variable on style, terrain and temperature that the ONLY real test is over an extended period)

Now those kind of figures sound totally believable to me. This year I specified that I wanted 5W30 oil using rather then than 0W20, in part due to some oil consumption now that the mileage is around 60k. That was two months ago and I certainly couldn't say economy seems any different on a day to day basis. Although it may be wishful thinking, I'm struck by how smooth the engine feels day in day out. One of those indefinable things maybe, but over an extended period it feels to be the case.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2019 at 12:18 PM, Mooly said:

Now those kind of figures sound totally believable to me. This year I specified that I wanted 5W30 oil using rather then than 0W20, in part due to some oil consumption now that the mileage is around 60k. That was two months ago and I certainly couldn't say economy seems any different on a day to day basis. Although it may be wishful thinking, I'm struck by how smooth the engine feels day in day out. One of those indefinable things maybe, but over an extended period it feels to be the case.

I have to say the Jazz drove as before and I noticed no changes at all in starting (instantaneous) running or  idling..  

The latest hybrids use 0W-16 (Corolla, etc) whilst petrols seem to continue with 0W-20.

1 hour ago, Madasafish said:

I have to say the Jazz drove as before and I noticed no changes at all in starting (instantaneous) running or  idling..  

Same here. Cold starting seems no different and the stop/start 'restarts' are to quick to even begin to time... instant, well under 1 sec. 

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The latest hybrids use 0W-16 (Corolla, etc) whilst petrols seem to continue with 0W-20.

Interesting. I know the manufacturer should have done all the homework and ensured that specified viscosity offers the protection required under all conditions and yet I'd bet the handbook still says something like 'may not be the most suitable under all conditions... refer to dealer'. The reason for the light viscosities as we know is for economy and emissions, not ultimate longevity outside the warranty period. That's not to say there will be any issues, its simply saying its not the prime reason for the choice, these other risks factors being lower down the weighting scale.