Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris 1.3 auto wouldn't brake !

Karlos2001

wifes yaris today (1.3 auto) somehow developed a mind of its own and wouldn't stop.  She said the brake pedal went down but the car just carried on.  She yanked it into 1st (from auto) and somehow then got it to stop (says she selected reverse and hit the stop button. 

She says if she took her foot off the brake the car acelerated by itself. <

The AA guy came out and then can't find any faults, but we've dropped it off at a garage to be looked at Tuesday.

Nothing fouling under the pedals and she assures me it was as if it had selected cruise control (that it doesn't have .... ) and that the brakes were not working (though I wasn't in the car at the time), so, Q: anyone know of any known issues that would cause this?  I'm not engineer but all I could imagine is if the accelerator works on a potentiometer and has had a meltdown, doesn't explain the fact the brake went stiff / didn't work though. Scary stuff. 

cheers

Karl

Perhaps she lost the brake servo. When you're used to over-servoed brakes like the Yaris has it can feel frightening without it and it feels like there's a brick under the brake pedal.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bathtub tom said:

Perhaps she lost the brake servo. When you're used to over-servoed brakes like the Yaris has it can feel frightening without it and it feels like there's a brick under the brake pedal.

would this then recover?

12 minutes ago, bathtub tom said:

the brake pedal was going down, but it wasn't braking .... didn't feel like a brick under it I'm now told

the car was certainly 100% 'accelerating' with feet off the pedals I'm told ... it felt like it was on cruise ....

Is the car up to date as regards recalls?? There was a recall for a number of models dating back to 2010 relating to the accelerator pedal.

Use the Toyota recall checker - https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/vehicle-information/recall-checker-info#/iframe/https%3A%2F%2Fforms.toyota.co.uk%2Frecall-checker

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Is the car up to date as regards recalls?? There was a recall for a number of models dating back to 2010 relating to the accelerator pedal.

Use the Toyota recall checker - https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/vehicle-information/recall-checker-info#/iframe/https%3A%2F%2Fforms.toyota.co.uk%2Frecall-checker

262365810_ScreenShot2019-04-19at14_56_50.thumb.png.da340892fd260116e9493343360ecb4e.png

Hi.

Just a possibility was your wife pressing both pedals at the same time as I know someone who has done this, pressing the brake pedal but slightly catching the accelerator as well.

it sounds like the seal in the master or slave cylinder might have failed and not held pressure.

you can try testing it  - with it parked up somewhere, start the car and just rest your foot really gently on the peddle. Does it slowly drop?

If it really gradually drops then it could be the slave cylinder needs replacing. Try then giving it some quick sharp pumps and see if it then feels solid.