Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

When changing tires noticed a number of problems how serious is this?

Rustyeverything

https://imgur.com/a/v4mhMsu

I bought my Yaris two months ago and decided to swap the tires over today. 

I noticed that both front springs are missing a bottom rung, maybe they've snapped off? 

Both rear brakes appear incredibly rusty. 

I don't know much about cars so I am unsure how serious this all is, any thoughts? 

The missing parts of the coil springs will certainly be an MOT failure, but not an uncommon problem on many cars and not particularly expensive to replace. Best to get them replaced as soon as possible though as it may give the car an odd ride or handling.

As to the brakes the rust is on the outside of the brake drums so strictly speaking not an issue as long as the drum is not seriously weakened. Does the handbrake work OK?

That all looks a bit tired! Not too difficult, or expensive, to replace the springs and drums yourself if you have the tools and inclination. If not, a decent mobile mechanic should sort it ok. 🙂 

4 hours ago, yossarian247 said:

Thanks! The handbrake works well, but how much longer could the drums do in that state? 

Depends what the drums are like on the inside. Do you have the inclination to take the drums off to inspect. Or maybe as you will have to replace the 2 springs, whoever does them could also look at the rear brakes (and the front).  Maybe it would be good for them to inspect the whole car, put your mind at ease.

The OP's location is Non-UK. I suggest it's a coastal place from that amount of rust (or perhaps they park it in the sea).

3 minutes ago, bathtub tom said:

The OP's location is Non-UK. I suggest it's a coastal place from that amount of rust (or perhaps they park it in the sea).

Hi Bathtub it's central Germany but I don't know what happened to the car before I purchased it. 

3 hours ago, Billyboy81 said:

That all looks a bit tired! Not too difficult, or expensive, to replace the springs and drums yourself if you have the tools and inclination. If not, a decent mobile mechanic should sort it ok. 🙂 

Thanks, how much would it roughly cost in the UK? 

Hi Ben

It's difficult to comment on the rear brake drums as the car is not here for inspection but in most if not all cases it would be a case of attacking them with a wire brush then repaint using smooth black hammerite.

As for the springs, best get those replaced asap. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links