Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Low oil preassure

MackVard

I bought a Toyota Celica from 1995, (175hp). 

The oil preassure-light is now glowing but only untill i hit about 2000 revs. Also the light will stay turned off for a couple of seconds if i stop at a red light i.e. 

My first idea is to change the oil preassure sensor but i cant fond where its located and for some reason Google isnt helpful unless my car turns into a Corolla :s

the car has unfortunatley also started to sound weird at about 2300 rpm (like a band-saw - not hammeing sounds) 

... help?

Hi, you most likely have worn out bearings, oil pressures drops from that. Best is to get the engine checked by a experienced mechanic and be prepared for a rebuild. You can also check oil pressure sensor and hope it is the one to blame. 

http://japancars.ru/ 

here is an electronic catalog you can use to locate the sensor. 

Good luck 

I'd absolutely check out your oil level,the condition of it aswell as overall engine condition long before suspecting the sensor,There;s very little that can go wrong with them in fact I can't remember when I've had an issue with them.They're binary,the tend either to work or not work at all.Very little room for any 'working but not properly' middle territory there.

Anyway,the sensor will be positioned somewhere around the housing where your oil filter screws into.You should find a typical sensor that looks very similar to your coolant temperature sensor as they're basically the same kind of sensor although you'll find the oil pressure sensor may be a little wider depending on type.Either way it'll almost certainly have a single wire connected to it and will be somewhere very near where the oil filter screws in,I mean within several inches or less.

Again though the way the light is coming on it sounds very reminiscent of worn big end bearings or mains even.

Do you get any excessive noise on the over-run? What I mean is if yiou rev the engine in neutral does there sound like a rattling or 'looseness' at the point when you lift of the throttle and the revs peak the drop,The engine should quieten down the second the revs fall but if there is as I said a rattling,vibration,a looseness (I'm not quite sure how else to explain it) or perhaps a delay in the sound of the engine as if it keeps revving after it peaks and engine speed dies,I know I'm not explaining it very well but you would know exactly what I mean if you heard it.It's like a chattering after you ease off but not like a light sound as in tappets but much lower and heavier than that.Anyway,if you do hear something in anyway similar it means your big end bearings are wearing out and I have to say by the way you describe the pressure light behaving that is what it sounds like.

Then again,not being there to hear it and see it in action I may be picking it up wrong but whatever the situation an oil light coming on at any time is never anything but bad news.The old school know how we were always taught when we were younger was that if the oil pressure light comes on the damage has already happened but that isn't strictly true but true enough that the problem needs to be determined ad fixed before using the car again,You canNOT take chances with oil,believe me there are several Fiestas and a Cortina in the scrapyard that prooved those words fact before I'd turned 20 lol.

Check your oil level,check your oil condition.Do you know when the filter and oil was last changed.As a rule of thumb in the owners manual that comes new with the car they'll give recommended oil change times in either miles or years whichever you reach first.They'll quote recommendations for normal driving conditions/weather and reduced advice for heavy or excessive driving conditions.Although it appears to be talking to the contrary you should go by the heavy usage recommendation rather than the normal ones because for normal read ideal and heavy read typical meaning change it at the very most,filter and oil 3,000 - 5,000 miles especially if your right foot happens to be the leaded kind.

So before checking the sensor change your oil,change your filter and it may be useful to run some engine flush through it and of your engine has a high mileage then seeing as it's a '95 and not a 2001+ spec you could try adding some oil additive such as Wynns which is excellent for older high mileage engines.They say never use additives in a car with a catalytic converter but I've never had an issue with the more basic OBD1/EOBD 92-01 pre OBD2 cars.

• Thanks 1

Hi.

I, years ago had a Celica and the big ends of the engine used to 'rattle' on start up. It ended up the oil filter fitted, a Halfords one, didn't have a non return valve fitted where as a genuine Toyota one did so I did an oil (Good quality) and genuine Toyota oil filter change and all was cured, hope this helps. The Halfords parts book said the filter fitted was he correct one but on this occasion the man's book was wrong.

Mike.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2019 at 2:46 AM, Mike169 said:

Hi.

I, years ago had a Celica and the big ends of the engine used to 'rattle' on start up. It ended up the oil filter fitted, a Halfords one, didn't have a non return valve fitted where as a genuine Toyota one did so I did an oil (Good quality) and genuine Toyota oil filter change and all was cured, hope this helps. The Halfords parts book said the filter fitted was he correct one but on this occasion the man's book was wrong.

Mike.

Wow, who'd have thought that the Halfords one size fits all book isn't really up to the job lol.

The partabout Toyota filter and quality oil is very important with these ZZ motors. Now that I have all but cured my 1ZZ of it's thirsty oil habit, changing the PCV and chain tensioner it'll be getting Toyota parts and good quality oil. I used Castrol Magnatec in one of my Cavy XE motors and within 5000 miles the cam wear accelerated rapidly so I'm really not keen on that stuff but the best I can get for sure.

Especially seeing as it has 187,000+ miles on it and despite the fact it is getting hoiked out and replaced with a 2ZZ I would love to take her to the 200,000 mile mark seeing as I was the one that topped 100,000 on this car, seems fitting 😉😉

The Celica with the Halfords filter, was that the same one that had rattling big ends?

If so did the change help, seems to me if they were rattling before then the damage is done, all the Wynns, STP and £55 for 4 litres hyper oil in the world won't cure loose big ends.

Although, I have a mate who's a mad biker and swears by some oil or oil additive they use on the councils grass cutting machines that can seal anything and cure cancer so fixing big ends would be a cinch for his miracle stuff. Funny, he doesn't use it on his 900cc HoKawasusuki race thing he worships lol.

Hi.

With a previous genuine Toyota oil filter fitted and quality oil used the engine was 'perfect.

I fitted the Halfords oil filter and again quality oil but the big ends rattled on start up for say 2 seconds.

I then fitted a genuine Toyota oil filter and again, again used quality and the engine was perfect again and apparently no damage done.

The engine had only done about 40,000 miles, that's nothing for a Toyota engine.

Regards, Mike.