Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rod knock engine tear down

Reece cycle

Took the car to the garage for mot , red lined the engine to clear some soot, and something went funny,

First thoughts was a destroyed tappet 

But on closer inspection the noise  seemed to be coming from lower down and I'm fairly certain its rod knock, I'm hoping I'll be able to get away with repairing the bearings

Bear in mind it's been leaking oil and misfiring for while, 

So the tear down begins,

The cam cover and injectors have been removed, although the cams look to be in good condition, everything is black and it's obviously been burning oil,

Injects 1 2 and 4 where stuck and took some elbow grease to remove

Injector 3  was damn near impossible to remove and had to be carefully taken out gently with  a crowbar :l

the injector bore was dry 

so question number one, could someone shed some light on this as I'm not even sure what question to ask, should they all be clean and dry? Or should they all be well oiled

thanks for your time interest and advice 🙂

20190424_134415.jpg

Took the car to the garage for mot , red lined the engine to clear some soot, and something went funny,

First thoughts was a destroyed tappet 

But on closer inspection the noise  seemed to be coming from lower down and I'm fairly certain its rod knock, I'm hoping I'll be able to get away with repairing the bearings

Bear in mind it's been leaking oil and misfiring for while, 

So the tear down begins,

The cam cover and injectors have been removed, although the cams look to be in good condition, everything is black and it's obviously been burning oil,

Injects 1 2 and 4 where stuck and took some elbow grease to remove

Injector 3  was damn near impossible to remove and had to be carefully taken out gently with  a crowbar :l

the injector bore was dry 

so question number one, could someone shed some light on this as I'm not even sure what question to ask, should they all be clean and dry? Or should they all be well oiled

And what can the state of the engine tell you ie the carbon burnt onto the injectors, the dry injector, and general blackness of everything? Way to far gone or worth rebuilding(on the cheap of course)

thanks for your time interest and advice 🙂

Edit: vehicle is 2.2 diesel avensis t25 estate 

15561102695702256660527252265476.jpg

15561103552043636488519747769393.jpg

Too be honest with you I would personally price up the rebuild cost of parts before striping engine in the car .then if you decide to rebuild rather than source a used lump .i would pull the engine and box either way easier to rebuild and replace clutch while your there . Another route source a engine and get a quote to replace at a local garage much quicker with a ramp .im presuming you don't have access already to a workshop ramp .

parts for rebuild to price up 

1)full engine gasket set and seals if not in kit ,2) new oil pump ,3) big end and main bearings ,crank checked for wear ,4) new piston rings if worn bore check re- honed unless Nicaseal coated ,5) head check Reskim including hidden cost of burnt valves etc ,6) clutch kit and slave cylinder rebuild or replace hidden cost of dual mass flywheel . 7 ) all fluids coolant ,engine oil and filters ,air filter fuel filter ,gearbox oil and all belts as required . 😎cost of reprogram of injectors etc

a used low mileage engine with a warranty is normally a better option as you have better rights if no good also pay by credit card for everything as you can claim back against card company .

hope you this helps .