Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris hybrid 2015 mk3 jacking up

atopman

Hi, my windscreen was cracked in the lower right driver corner, i had a new one fitted. no problem.

but I was wondering if its safe to jack up the car on the right front driver side so i can change the brake pads ?

does using the sill body jack point warp the frame ? could it crack the glass ? when ive done it before the wing goes up a lot

before the wheel does.

also anyone got a walk through for the pads ?

im doing this because there is a graunching sound when i brake at low speed

ps im in uk

Do you need to update your profile from the Avensis to the Yaris.

this ones not mine, its my niece, but i have updated it to wifes yaris, as i have a mazda now

Atopman Hi

Try jacking up at the lower arm (wishbone), it saves the suspension from extending. Pad replacement is straight forward. Undo caliper bolts from carriage, tap out pad retaining pins. Push pistons back in and withdraw pads and anti squeal shims. Refit in reverse. Don't let master cylinder overflow when you push pistons back. 

2 hours ago, atopman said:

Hi, my windscreen was cracked in the lower right driver corner, i had a new one fitted. no problem.

but I was wondering if its safe to jack up the car on the right front driver side so i can change the brake pads ?

does using the sill body jack point warp the frame ? could it crack the glass ? when ive done it before the wing goes up a lot

before the wheel does.

also anyone got a walk through for the pads ?

im doing this because there is a graunching sound when i brake at low speed

ps im in uk

There shouldn't be any problem jacking the car on the jacking points - that's what they're for. Have you tried looking on Youtube for a tutorial?

As above post says, that's what they are for long as u are using the correct jack and it's aligned properly so it doesn't crush the sil.. you'll have to jack it higher as the suppension will extend fully before the wheel comes off the ground so the wing will move before wheel does. Again like above posts say you cud use the lower control arm to jack up. I did my front brakes using the sil jack point and it was fine. Just make sure to chock the car and use axle stands as extra safety.

This might be a red-herring, but if you are braking lightly, the regular 'friction' brakes only come on at slow speeds as the car comes to a halt. 

After the silence of regenerative braking this can sound a bit like grinding in contrast. I've never noticed pad/rotor noise on any other car before. 

On an Auris (which is what I have)  there is usually a noticeable click, then a rubbing noise as the friction brakes cut in, unless you are already braking quite hard, in which case they will already be on. 

If this is a new noise then maybe ignore the above. 

i have it jacked up at the sill jack point, and looking at the bolts for the caliper.

I cant seem to get the right socket to fit ! i tried 10mm 11, 12, 13, even 14.

10 seems to small as it doesnt go down that far, then 12 seems to go down but it just spins ?

is it a special hexish nut ?

i took a picture and its defo looks like hexagon nut, ive never known anything like this...so frustrated, thought id be done ina an hour, 

Oh just found out its a hex KEY, trying it now.hope i got one that fits

|\

IMG_20190425_102834270[1].jpg

ti think a light touch on the brakes gives a light scraping sound, and if stopping it gets louder until its graunching by the time you nearly stop.

it sounded to me like front pad was doing it.

All done ! the pads had plenty of material, i just cleaned the groove which was clogged, and gave them a quick sand

the graunching has improved no end, i can still hear something at low speed coming to a stop slowly, but its acceptable now.

sorted. thanks for all your helps, heres a pic of pad with blocked slot.

IMG_20190425_113512393[1].jpg

6 hours ago, atopman said:

All done ! the pads had plenty of material, i just cleaned the groove which was clogged, and gave them a quick sand

the graunching has improved no end, i can still hear something at low speed coming to a stop slowly, but its acceptable now.

sorted. thanks for all your helps, heres a pic of pad with blocked slot.

IMG_20190425_113512393[1].jpg

Dry weather can make the pads screech also

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links