Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Keyless start issues

Jayan

Hi, after switching off my vehicle (2011 2.2 D4D AWD VX 6 speed) using the start stop button and exiting I couldn't arm the vehicle it is at point I noted the fob was dead. I also noted when I depressed the clutch, there was no illumination in the push button. Took the fob to a Toyota dealer and replaced Battery but the fob still didn't show any sign of life. Had a second Battery change with no result. Tried the spare fob which showed signs of life however still when I depressed the clutch, it didn't illuminate. So now I am wits end trying to understand what went wrong.

Hi Jayan, welcome to TOC. 🙂

What is the state of the 12V Battery in the vehicle?

Hi Heidi... It is in excellent condition. The hotel is strong & brights work perfectly 

Thanks for the welcome. I meant the hooter sounds good

After watching a number of video of how to place your fob over the engine start stop button and waiting for 30sec whilst still pressing the clutch or the brake, there is no green illumination in the button. What I had observed this morning when I open the door, the warning appears on the dashboard to indicate the door is open. Also there is some illumination on the button where there is light behind the stop start 'writing' which goes of after a few sec.

It sounds like the radio receiver of the keyless function may be defective.

Hi.

Have you got a Timpsons key cutters/locksmiths near you. A friend of mine had a bit of trouble with his keyless alarm, I though Timpsons just cut keys but it appears they can deal with the electronic side of modern keys too.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=RFrBXOtxkJjV8A_Bl4agCg&q=timpsons+key+cutters&oq=Timpsons+key+cutters&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0j0i30.428095.429902..432937...0.0..0.61.109.2......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j0i13j0i13i30.uwPwFJWIcu0&dlnr=1&sei=9lvBXLKIA_CP1fAPnrKAwAE

Mike.

(You may have to put your postcode/town in as the example is local to me)

Hi Mike ... I am Durban South Africa. thanks for the feedback, I will into something similar here,

2 hours ago, IanML said:

It sounds like the radio receiver of the keyless function may be defective.

Hi Ian ... thanks for the suggestion, how does one diagnose this ?

It could also be the clutch sensor switch.

Get in the car , with key fob close to you. Press the start button WITHOUT pressing on the clutch. If the receiver is good, the car should allow your to turn on the radio, and the start button will glow amber instead of green, if yes, it's probably the clutch sensor at fault here.

If nothing happens, more likely it's the receiver in the car.

Can you lock/unlock normally with the spare key fob?

Hi Furtula ... Tried that however the button doesn't glow at all. Had a mechanic look at it and they can't figure out what to do... This is what it looks like now... 

DSC_0050.JPG

DSC_0051.JPG

13 hours ago, Jayan said:

Hi Ian ... thanks for the suggestion, how does one diagnose this ?

I have the Toyota Techstream software and suitable cable to plug into the car's OBD2 socket  (bought it on eBay).  That should give some indication of the nature of the fault. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links