Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Apple Carplay / Android Auto - any news

Southern Softy

Hi all,

I just wondered if anybody had any inside info from the dealer network as to the possibility of this being a future upgrade / software update for the new 2019 Rav4

Martin 

• Like 1

Hi,

According to this Spanish journalist, there should be a software update hopefully before August.

Regards,

O

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2019 at 6:21 PM, oie said:

Hi,

According to this Spanish journalist, there should be a software update hopefully before August.

Regards,

O

That's a rather long video (15 mins). Anyone who speaks Spanish can summarise what this guy is saying in the video.

From the video's title, it is about Toyota's US media system, Entune, rather than Europe's Toyota Touch - different systems.

Hi,

He is talking about the European version even though all the time speaks about entune system.

Apparently and due to the pressure from the customers, Toyota has decided to install Apple CarPlay on the 2019  Corollas and Rav4.

He says that as the hardware is essentially the same, Apple CarPlay should be able to be retrofitted via software.

He doesn’t think that other features like remote start etc will be installed as Toyota does not believe European customers want to get into a monthly payment to enjoy them.

He says this should happen during the next couple of months although he cannot specified a day.

I asked about this when I collected my Rav and I was told there are rumours within Toyota but nothing official yet.

Regards,

O

Thanks for the update Oscar, I guess we will just have to wait and see.

I have managed without it in my current BMW so it was not a deal breaker for me when looking at the RAV4 more a disappointment, but I just can’t understand why Toyota have been slow off the mark here in the U.K. and Europe, perhaps a licence issue with Apple    

Given it is a new model I think it is a serious error of judgement on their part especially if they are looking to attract a younger buyer.

Hi,

Yes, I totally agree. It should be included specially when you don’t have a great sat nav and/or media system. It gets even worse because apparently Apple doesn’t charge any fees...

Once you get use to it is very difficult to live without one. 

Regards,

O

Toyota and some other manufacturers have/had privacy concerns over both apps.

Hi Mike,

I realise that might be a concern but given the amount of motor manufacturers on board I am sure they have satisfied themselves over this already, it does not explain the availability in the US however and not in the U.K. / EU. I am sure all will become clear in due course.

I did read today that the Camry is having a software update available now in the US to add Apple Carplay for cars from 2018 onwards I believe so things seem to be moving now. It is a software update at the dealership taking about 30 mins.

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Toyota and some other manufacturers have/had privacy concerns over both apps.

Hi,

Fair point and I share their concerns but it has to be something else as they offer Car Play on other models.

Regards,

O

10 minutes ago, oie said:

..... but it has to be something else as they offer Car Play on other models.

No. Toyota have only recently added Android Auto and Apple Car Play to their US models. Some versions of the facelift Aygo also have these - but use a different media system to the US Entune and the European Touch 2.

10 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

No. Toyota have only recently added Android Auto and Apple Car Play to their US models. Some versions of the facelift Aygo also have these - but use a different media system to the US Entune and the European Touch 2.

Hi,

So Yes then :). They cannot be so concerned about the privacy when some versions of the  Aygo uses it and they are adding CarPlay to other models.

Regards,

O

As I said previously Toyota had privacy concerns about these apps.

They added Android Auto to some grades of the facelift Aygo from the sumner of 2018. And of course the Pioneer system used in the Aygo is also shared with the PSA models (C1 and 108) - so PSA would have been involved in the decision making for these models.

Some US models have the apps from the 2020 model year.

So their new direction has only bern recent (ie within the last 12 months).

Even now Toyota GB are not forthcoming about when, or if, Android Auto or Apple Carplay may become available on other models within the UK

My previous comment stands.

Hi,

Im sure all your information is right.

But If they were concerned they wouldn’t be implementing those systems in some cars and not in others.

That the Rav4 in the US had Apple CarPlay from the first day and the one in Europe don’t is contradictory with being concern.

So sorry but I don’t think you comment stands. At all.

Regards,

O

36 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

As I said previously Toyota had privacy concerns about these apps

The tense I used was the past tense - which implies to most people that their concerns are no longer as valid as they previously were. If the meaning of what I said has surpassed you, then that is your issue.

Hi

I think you have surpassed yourself.

Carry on with your present, past and future.

Regards,

O

• Like 2

10 hours ago, oie said:

That the Rav4 in the US had Apple CarPlay from the first day and the one in Europe don’t is contradictory with being concern.O

The US & European Toyotas, even of the same model, use different ICE systems from different hardware manufacturers to suit the respective markets (Entune wouldn't suit/work in Europe & Touch 2 wouldn't suit/work in North America). In the US Apple is dominant in the mobile phone market whereas in Europe Android is dominant hence why CarPlay arrived there before Android Auto (not sure that has actually reached retail Toyota cars yet in the US although certainly been promised).

If you look in Europe where Toyota sources ICE along with PSA (so Aygo & light commercials) CarPlay & Android Auto are/will be available on new retail vehicles.

It's also worth noting that Google is working on a heavily revised/new Android Auto supposedly for release this summer so perhaps Toyota are aiming to use that as their baseline for entry?

16 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Even now Toyota GB are not forthcoming about when, or if, Android Auto or Apple Carplay may become available on other models within the UK

ToyotaUK confirmed the IF yesterday! 🚀 

Have you a link to the IF ?

This is what they said on the Toyota UK blog yesterday on a Corolla thread "Thanks for getting in touch, it’s great to hear that you’ve ordered the new Corolla. Apple CarPlay is something that we are currently working on, please keep an eye on our blogs and social channels for updates."

Thanks Scott, no news really then so will have to just wait and see.

• 2 weeks later...

For those interested, here is a snippet from the Australian press “ Toyota Australia has confirmed the RAV4 will be the first recipient of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto in its line-up – though the change won’t come online until September. Customers who purchase before then will qualify for a free software upgrade to install the technology.

As has been said in another topic, we don't know whether the Australian market uses Entune, Touch or another system.

Also we don't know whether the retrofit option for older models will be available in the UK/Europe, or whether the retrofit option will be chargeable.

Apparently Oz get an Entune variant .

As for September> I said in another thread that there is a major makeover of Android Auto coming from Google & I wondered if Toyota were aiming to support that rather than what was about to be made obsolete ...

At the end of the day, what is happening regarding Android Auto/Carplay in the US, Australia or other continents isn't really relevant to most TOC members, the majority of whom reside in the UK and Europe.