Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Apple Carplay / Android Auto - any news

Southern Softy

Hi Mike,

I was a bit frustrated that it was not included, had it been a deal breaker for me I would have ordered something else, others may have had other options and gone elsewhere of course. My post was intended to show the way Toyota appear to be heading in other parts of the world on this subject and commenced “ for those interested “ , for those not interested it is of no interest of course.

All is beyond our control of course, we shall have to wait and see what happens - a bit like Brexit !

Frankly it is irrelevant which system is in use in which continent. The pertinent point here is that Toyota have said they will retrospectively install Carplay and Auto in other regions. They have no doubt realised from both the consumers and the automotive press that the omission of these apps will affect sales. As a software or licensing issue is a relatively easy fix I have no doubt Toyota will listen and remedy this as soon as possible. 

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone had an update on this?

according to the Toyota UK blog they are still working on it but there is no date for it yet.

A friend of mine just bought a C-HR in France and the dealer told him that Android auto would come as a free update before the end of the year. I bought mine in December last year so hopefully it applies to my car too.

• 4 weeks later...

RAV4 now appears of Apple uk website for cars with CarPlay 

On 7/9/2019 at 8:04 PM, Limpy Harries said:

https://www.apple.com/uk/ios/carplay/available-models/

As the list includes two US market Toyotas (Avalon and Sienna) and excludes the Aygo (some versions of the 2018 facelift are Android Auto/Apple Carplay compatible), it seems the list isn't for the UK.

10 minutes ago, Limpy Harries said:

The list is useless as it lists cars not even sold in the UK and Toyota GB have confirmed it is currently inaccurate

toyota
  • 2019 Avalon
  • 2019 Corolla Hatchback
  • 2019 Camry
  • 2019 C-HR
  • 2019 RAV4
  • 2019 Sienna

Be careful what you wish for.... the bigger issue isn’t when you will get it, but the ongoing support requirements to keep it, other OEM’s bringing carplay support to market have had issues, an iOS update killed carplay in our 17 plate Fabia, 6? months later a overly complex update was made available as a dealer only option (no CD/USB/SD card slot in the unit).

I understand that if they rush it out that there may be glitches and that just wouldn't be Toyota... They would demand and expect reliability. 

However, as I'm sure they have realised, they simply have to offer Carplay and Auto as manufacturers that do not have been overtaken and indeed lost sales to those that do. With infotainment rapidly improving these phone friendly apps are rapidly becoming a requirement for buyers. 

I'm quite comfortable that Toyota are "on this" and sincerely hope that if not supplied with, my new Rav4 will be upgraded free of charge when they are happy with how this software will run in their vehicles and confident their security will not be compromised. 

I hope Toyota UK will be able to reassure us that this will happen in due course. 

Fingers crossed!! 

19 minutes ago, Ezcritique said:

I hope Toyota UK will be able to reassure us that this will happen in due course. 

You need to contact Toyota for this reassurance.

Good evening, having just read through the topics regarding Apple Car Play in the Rav4. I have an older, 2009 Rav4 and wanted to update the radio to a DAB system. I visited the Halfords Burnley store and chose a Kenwood DMX7017DAB system. Using my Toyota Owners Club discount card to help against the cost I had the system installed by the store. Connected to my IPhone6S the Kenwood system is a superb Dab Radio Unit. Icons include Google maps, Waze, Spotify, iPhone, Messages, Apple maps, What’s App etc. My Rav4 has only completed 54k miles and is looked after by Vantage Toyota Colne under a Toyota Service Plan. 

20 hours ago, 1949terry said:

Good evening, having just read through the topics regarding Apple Car Play in the Rav4. I have an older, 2009 Rav4 and wanted to update the radio to a DAB system. I visited the Halfords Burnley store and chose a Kenwood DMX7017DAB system. Using my Toyota Owners Club discount card to help against the cost I had the system installed by the store. Connected to my IPhone6S the Kenwood system is a superb Dab Radio Unit. Icons include Google maps, Waze, Spotify, IPhone, Messages, Apple maps, What’s App etc. My Rav4 has only completed 54k miles and is looked after by Vantage Toyota Colne under a Toyota Service Plan. 

The DMX7017 and the Pioneer 130/230 are both credible options, the 130 is a nicer unit with a capacitive screen, but is iOS only (no android auto), the 230 resistive screen puts me off and The DMX is the same, also it’s lack of firmware updates to fix known issues in the beginning (it’s only had one) were a concern.

OK, so I have contacted Toyota GB re the Carplay/Auto issue. They got back to me today with the usual stock answer of they are unable to confirm if either will be available or retrospectively fitted to the new Rav4 as presumably they are, waiting to be instructed on this.. If it should become available they will release "the news" on their website and blog. Along with an apology that they couldn't confirm anything further at this stage.

I can't grumble as much as I'd like to know it is going to happen, Toyota, were hardly going to tell me before general release... If... Such news was even in the pipeline.. 

Just hope it's confirmed one way or another as soon as.... 

Would now be a bad time to suggest CarPlay - while drastically improved recently - is over rated? Or that android auto is only marginally better? Just saying 😂

Not at all!! I've used Android Auto and agree it's not perfect, it's just that having it available on the Toyota would give me a great deal more functionality than the already poorly rated infotainment system that is currently supplied with it. 

I appreciate its not for everyone but additional choice is never a bad thing.... 

I’m currently playing with a Pi install based on Crankshaft/OpenAuto to test vs a full android HU, unfortunately the Pi foundation decided now was the time to release the Pi4 and that will complicate things slightly as it’s new hardware. It’s the modern carputer that some of us were building/running 15? years ago.

On 7/15/2019 at 10:45 PM, Avalon said:

oid HU, unfortunately the Pi foundation decided now was the time to release the Pi4 and that will complicate things slightly as it’s new hardware. 

especially as it seems to have USB issues ... 

10 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

especially as it seems to have USB issues ... 

Only if you use a cable that you probably shouldn’t be using - the dumb ones work perfectly afaik. The heat issue is a different matter, i’m not really convinced the firmware update makes a big enough difference and that probably needs active cooling to fix, which isn’t ideal.

It works perfectly with the official cable/charger or any other non e marked (dumb) cable. While it’s the latest in an unfortunate series of blunders in pi history, it’s one that can very easily be avoided.

On 7/18/2019 at 10:25 AM, Avalon said:

The heat issue is a different matter, i’m not really convinced the firmware update makes a big enough difference and that probably needs active cooling to fix, which isn’t ideal.

https://www.fudzilla.com/news/pc-hardware/49071-raspberry-pi-4-needs-a-fan

• 3 weeks later...

I emailed to asked Toyota UK why/when the new Rav4 would get a software update to enable Apple Car Play in my Rav and they said "we are actively looking into Smartphone connectivity but we would suggest you keep watching blogs to get information". Surely it is not beyond the great technological wizards at Toyota to come up with this update without going down the Entune route after all you just connect your iPhone with the USB cable so half the job is done by you. Every other manufacturer offers Apple and android so what is stopping the great Toyota;, even the dealers find it frustrating just being able to offer the useless Mira Cast? Maybe Toyota don't realise how much demand there is out there for Apple, so can't be bothered to spend their time incorporating it? So frustrating!

3 hours ago, Dee Bee said:

I emailed to asked Toyota UK why/when the new Rav4 would get a software update to enable Apple Car Play in my Rav and they said "we are actively looking into Smartphone connectivity but we would suggest you keep watching blogs to get information". Surely it is not beyond the great technological wizards at Toyota to come up with this update without going down the Entune route after all you just connect your Iphone with the USB cable so half the job is done by you. Every other manufacturer offers Apple and android so what is stopping the great Toyota;, even the dealers find it frustrating just being able to offer the useless Mira Cast? Maybe Toyota don't realise how much demand there is out there for Apple, so can't be bothered to spend their time incorporating it? So frustrating!

a) it won't be Toyota alone but their oem (Harman)

b) not all other manufacturers offer Apple & Android e.g. not ony do BMW offer only CarPlay (no Android Auto) but they will charge you for the privilege.