Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Apple Carplay / Android Auto - any news

Southern Softy

Considering Toyota RAV4 in the US and other markets have Entune 3.0 obviously they are on the ball for some markets, why bring out two models (Corolla & Rav) before they are on a par worldwide?. Aygo (being the PSA system) has Apple Car Play and it works a treat, so it shows “they” don’t have an issue sharing the technology Toyota and Harman are being made to look fools in our territory?

6 hours ago, Dee Bee said:

Aygo (being the PSA system) has Apple Car Play and it works a treat,

Not all post 2018 facelift Aygos have Apple Carplay - only those with the smartphone integration (essentially a different head unit) which is dependent on trim level, have this.

The pre-facelift Aygo (2014-2018) has never had Apple Carplay.

My Aygo has, so the Toyota excuse for my Rav is weak.

caradvice.com.au has a recent review on their website indicating that Carplay & Auto will be installed free of charge to Australian Rav4 owners when put into dealers for their first service. 

I'm still hopeful that this may also be the case for UK owners.... 

I thought that CarPlay at least was available on Entune 3 for a year already ...

From what Devon Aygo said on another thread the new 2020 MY C-HR will come with CarPlay & Android Auto but as part of MM19.

Existing new Corolla/RAV4 in Europe are on MM17 - whether this is just a software revision or there is an actual hardware change ... 🙄

• 2 weeks later...

Still no news from the tight lipped Toyota GB offices, presumably as they cannot/will not commit to anything until they receive official confirmation from Toyota europe?? 

The dealers aren't happy with the lack of compatibility, my salesman assured me it was due for a software update anytime soon, but Toyota just come out with the standard reply even when you make a comment on their Facebook adverts. It really is the only let down on my Rav4, inconsequential to some but having been loaned a car with Apple Play (An awful Vauxhall) it really is a brilliant addition.

hmm I secretly hope that Toyota would just come out and clarify whether it's going to happen and just a bit more info but sometimes giving away more info can raise even more questions so sometimes it's easier to say nothing at all.

Whatever the reason is for the delay it's obviously needed and isn't as easy as just pushing a button.

Although i'd kinda like some early access/beta for those that are aware of the risks of bugs but would provide feedback, i would place myself in that camp!

So commented on in an Italian forum by Toyota Europe!!  Here's hoping Toyota GB follow suit shortly with an official announcement of their own that allows us to look forward to this "update". 

I would also undertake Beta testing if volunteers required...    

Hi, my RAV4 isn't coming until Oct but like everyone else i feel a little cheated by Toyota that they haven't sorted this out yet. In the meantime has anyone tried a USB carplay dongle adapter? I'm no tech expert but this little tool seems to be able to allow you to have Apple carplay on the infotainment system. Just wondering if this might be a temp fix until Toyota can be bothered to sort out the UK customers!!!

See the attached link, BMW are starting to charge for Apple carplay, I looked at the BMW 330e and it had IOS7 operating system and it was subscription, £85 per year or £395 for lifetime of the car.

personally I don't see the value, unless the Toyota system is completely useless.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/107492/bmw-makes-apple-carplay-a-subscription-service

• 4 weeks later...

As the 2020 versions of the C-HR and Corolla with Carplay/Auto aren't going on sale until later in the fourth quarter of 2019, I presume there may not be any news on updates or similar for the MM17 til around then or after.

There are MY20 & MY20.5 Model update coming:

RAV4 MY20 Spec Changes from October 19 Production.

• AVAS (Acoustic Vehicle Approach system).

• New regulations require electric vehicles to make artificial noise • Introduction of AVAS (Acoustic Vehicle Approach system) for MY20 RAV4. • Sound frequency will be shifted based on vehicle speed • One unified sound for Toyota globally

• Anti Theft Relay Prevention

• A vibration sensor will be added to the smart entry system, which is standard on all grades. This will improve theft protection by assisting in preventing relay attacks. How it works: • When the key is not moving or vibrating, such as when it is placed on a table, it does not transmit a signal via radio waves. Therefore, the signal cannot be intercepted and re-translated to the car.

RAV4 MY20.5 Spec Changes from January 20 production

Apple Car Play, Android Auto and Over-the-air map updates.

• Introduction of MM19 and therefore Apple Car Play, Android Auto and Over-the-air map updates.

Orders placed/accepted before 30th Sept will be price protected for specification upgrade costs, orders after 30th Sept will incur cost increase £ TBC.

No news on adding AA/ Carplay to existing cars as yet.

• Like 1

Lee,

Thanks for the update, interesting info especially on the anti theft prevention which I hope will be of peace of mind for private buyers.

12 hours ago, Southern Softy said:

Lee,

Thanks for the update, interesting info especially on the anti theft prevention which I hope will be of peace of mind for private buyers.

For anyone concerned about this its worth remembering that the key can be deactivated so that its undetectable as follows:-

■Turning an electronic key to battery-saving mode
●When battery-saving mode is set, battery depletion is minimized by stopping the electronic key from receiving  radio waves.
Press unlock twice while pressing and holding lock .

Confirm that the electronic key indicator flashes 4 times. While the battery-saving mode is set, the smart entry & start system cannot be used.

To cancel the function, press any of the electronic key buttons.

• Like 1

robo1 excellent news so hopefully we’ll get it soon for our RAV4’s 👍 I keep looking on the Toyota blog to

Details of the revised C-HR, including Carplay/Auto, were posted back on August 16th - 

37 minutes ago, Ezcritique said:

Dead link!! 

21 minutes ago, robo1 said:

This morning's blog post referred to the 2019 CHR ... when they clearly meant the 2020 MY CHR ... so they've removed the original post and replaced it!    😀

That’s explains the dead link. The post is the same. Assume they changed the link name as its the 2020 CHR

1 hour ago, robo1 said:

That’s explains the dead link. The post is the same. Assume they changed the link name as its the 2020 CHR

... not just the link name - they got the year wrong throughout the post as well!  🙂