Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Apple Carplay / Android Auto - any news

Southern Softy

I have just ordered a Corolla Excel Sports Tourer and been told that it will have Apple CarPlay, full leather seats and foot wavy boot opening.  However the dealer nor me cannot find any info about it. Have any of you got any details?

20 minutes ago, Ian.S said:

I have just ordered a Corolla Excel Sports Tourer and been told that it will have Apple CarPlay, full leather seats and foot wavy boot opening.  However the dealer nor me cannot find any info about it. Have any of you got any details?

See the reply to your earlier topic in the Corolla club.

On 9/26/2019 at 8:36 PM, Devon Aygo said:

There are MY20 & MY20.5 Model update coming:

RAV4 MY20 Spec Changes from October 19 Production.

• AVAS (Acoustic Vehicle Approach system).

• New regulations require electric vehicles to make artificial noise • Introduction of AVAS (Acoustic Vehicle Approach system) for MY20 RAV4. • Sound frequency will be shifted based on vehicle speed • One unified sound for Toyota globally

• Anti Theft Relay Prevention

• A vibration sensor will be added to the smart entry system, which is standard on all grades. This will improve theft protection by assisting in preventing relay attacks. How it works: • When the key is not moving or vibrating, such as when it is placed on a table, it does not transmit a signal via radio waves. Therefore, the signal cannot be intercepted and re-translated to the car.

RAV4 MY20.5 Spec Changes from January 20 production

• Apple Car Play, Android Auto and Over-the-air map updates.

• Introduction of MM19 and therefore Apple Car Play, Android Auto and Over-the-air map updates.

Orders placed/accepted before 30th Sept will be price protected for specification upgrade costs, orders after 30th Sept will incur cost increase £ TBC.

No news on adding AA/ Carplay to existing cars as yet.

My car is still in the build queue I wonder if it will come with Apple CarPlay 

I ordered mine on the 15th August so price should be protected my expected delivery date is March 2020

There are ways to get the likes of Spotify working and other hacks to get Google Maps.. but to be honest I can't wait for Android auto... so far I've been really underwhelmed with the Media System in the RAV4.

5 hours ago, Graeme Rawlings said:

so far I've been really underwhelmed with the Media System in the RAV4.

Me too - I bought the JBL/PVM upgrade (only to get the panoramic cameras - which are awesome) and the upgraded JBL system is not as good as the one on my last 2016 Prius which just had the standard spec for an Excel Prius.

The Prius system was better because:

• it had more Speakers than the RAV4 (despite the RAV being upgraded and the Prius not)
  • Playlists worked for USB music, and don't on the RAV
  • Inputting things like Postcodes to the SatNav is a pain on the RAV because each time you switch between entering numbers and letters you have to press 2 extra keys - numbers and letters were both on the same screen on the Prius

To be fair, the sound quality on both systems is excellent, as it was on the standard system on the RAV4 demonstrator I had for a couple of days.  I would happily have paid less just to get the camera system on its own.

10 hours ago, PeteB said:

Me too - I bought the JBL/PVM upgrade (only to get the panoramic cameras - which are awesome) and the upgraded JBL system is not as good as the one on my last 2016 Prius which just had the standard spec for an Excel Prius.

The Prius system was better because:

• it had more speakers than the RAV4 (despite the RAV being upgraded and the Prius not)
  • Playlists worked for USB music, and don't on the RAV
  • Inputting things like Postcodes to the SatNav is a pain on the RAV because each time you switch between entering numbers and letters you have to press 2 extra keys - numbers and letters were both on the same screen on the Prius

To be fair, the sound quality on both systems is excellent, as it was on the standard system on the RAV4 demonstrator I had for a couple of days.  I would happily have paid less just to get the camera system on its own.

Yes I'm a bit disappointed about playlist support but interestingly I dug out a very old I-pod yesterday and plugged it in via USB. The I-tunes format playlists on the I-pod are supported. Trouble is I haven't used I-tunes for years and I don't think I can be bothered to revive it.

3 hours ago, roadster-rav said:

Yes I'm a bit disappointed about playlist support but interestingly I dug out a very old I-pod yesterday and plugged it in via USB. The I-tunes format playlists on the I-pod are supported. Trouble is I haven't used I-tunes for years and I don't think I can be bothered to revive it.

I've also found if I play the musing from my phone via bluetooth (my complete music library is copied onto to every device I own!) the playlists work on that too, but it's a little less convenient as I have to remember to start the music app on the phone before starting driving, and any dings etc. played by the phone when a text, email etc is received gets amplified through the car Speakers too.

Currently I'm getting by using bluetooth and shouting "OK Google" at my phone and telling it to play whatever I want via spotify, but I'd much rather interact with it via the screen, plus it would look nicer!

Just feel there has been a lack of attention paid to the media system in what is a relatively expensive car. I've got the Dynamic AWD and feel the car itself is excellent but the media system feels like its come from a much cheaper vehicle. 

Ordered my Rav4 yesterday on the understanding that it will have Andoid Auto and car play and was informed that "GEN 3" systems are now being fitted at factory which support both , and has has written on the order that when I take delivery it will come fitted, I have tried to post this on the officicial site and it never actually makes it to the board but other posts of mine are posted ok

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, chris ha said:

Ordered my Rav4 yesterday on the understanding that it will have Andoid Auto and car play and was informed that "GEN 3" systems are now being fitted at factory which support both

Which was highlighted in Devon Aygo's post of 26th Sept.

Hi All, based on the posts by Chris and Frosty I messaged and Emailed Toyota UK who are probably fed up with me banging on about the fact that I collected my Rav in June based upon the assurance of the dealer that it was iPhone compatible, it plainly wasn't (cue ongoing argument). I have received yet another email from Toyota today which says

"We still don't have anything official that I can share on our future plans for smarphone intergration, once we do this information will be filtered to our customersand network of dealers. Until that point there is nothing more I can comment on"

If any of you can give me concrete information I can shove up them I would be extremely grateful ans the current infotainment is absolutely awful and way behind the competition.

Thanks

36 minutes ago, Dee Bee said:

Hi All, based on the posts by Chris and Frosty I messaged and Emailed Toyota UK who are probably fed up with me banging on about the fact that I collected my Rav in June based upon the assurance of the dealer that it was Iphone compatible, it plainly wasn't (cue ongoing argument). I have received yet another email from Toyota today which says

"We still don't have anything official that I can share on our future plans for smarphone intergration, once we do this information will be filtered to our customersand network of dealers. Until that point there is nothing more I can comment on"

If any of you can give me concrete information I can shove up them I would be extremely grateful ans the current infotainment is absolutely awful and way behind the competition.

Thanks

I had the very same conversation with Toyota yesterday. 
  I haven’t got my Rav4 yet it’s not due until next March. But I’m considering cancelling the order. Not so much about the fact it hasn’t got Apple CarPlay, it’s more about the the lack of communication from Toyota 

The only concrete information that is supplied to the forum on this is that from Devon Aygo or Parts-King,  who work for Toyota dealers. 

The last news was re the 2020 production of the Rav4 starting in October, but there was no update on smartphone integration  for existing models. 

Cancelling an order may be an answer for some, but all this will really do is bring forward a production slot for someone else. 

from a previous post

There are MY20 & MY20.5 Model update coming:RAV4 MY20 Spec Changes from October 19 Production.• AVAS (Acoustic Vehicle Approach system).• New regulations require electric vehicles to make artificial noise • Introduction of AVAS (Acoustic Vehicle Approach system) for MY20 RAV4. • Sound frequency will be shifted based on vehicle speed • One unified sound for Toyota globally• Anti Theft Relay Prevention• A vibration sensor will be added to the smart entry system, which is standard on all grades. This will improve theft protection by assisting in preventing relay attacks. How it works: • When the key is not moving or vibrating, such as when it is placed on a table, it does not transmit a signal via radio waves. Therefore, the signal cannot be intercepted and re-translated to the car.RAV4 MY20.5 Spec Changes from January 20 productionApple Car Play, Android Auto and Over-the-air map updates.• Introduction of MM19 and therefore Apple Car Play, Android Auto and Over-the-air map updates.Orders placed/accepted before 30th Sept will be price protected for specification upgrade costs, orders after 30th Sept will incur cost increase £ TBC.No news on adding AA/ Carplay to existing cars as yet.

i have tried posting the info on the official toyota site and it never gets posted by the moderator

• Like 2

On 10/16/2019 at 10:45 AM, chris ha said:

from a previous post

There are MY20 & MY20.5 Model update coming:RAV4 MY20 Spec Changes from October 19 Production.• AVAS (Acoustic Vehicle Approach system).• New regulations require electric vehicles to make artificial noise • Introduction of AVAS (Acoustic Vehicle Approach system) for MY20 RAV4. • Sound frequency will be shifted based on vehicle speed • One unified sound for Toyota globally• Anti Theft Relay Prevention• A vibration sensor will be added to the smart entry system, which is standard on all grades. This will improve theft protection by assisting in preventing relay attacks. How it works: • When the key is not moving or vibrating, such as when it is placed on a table, it does not transmit a signal via radio waves. Therefore, the signal cannot be intercepted and re-translated to the car.RAV4 MY20.5 Spec Changes from January 20 production• Apple Car Play, Android Auto and Over-the-air map updates.• Introduction of MM19 and therefore Apple Car Play, Android Auto and Over-the-air map updates.Orders placed/accepted before 30th Sept will be price protected for specification upgrade costs, orders after 30th Sept will incur cost increase £ TBC.No news on adding AA/ Carplay to existing cars as yet.

i have tried posting the info on the official toyota site and it never gets posted by the moderator

This is the information posted earlier in this topic by Devon Aygo on September 26th - please don't assume responsibiity for other's posts.

If you meant you tried posting the information on Toyota UK blog, then obviously they will want to make this information available themselves when they're ready - which will probably be nearer to the on-sale date in November.

I have no wish to take credit for anyones post, I had a copy of that post but was unable to find it again so it could be suitably attributed, but I did have a copy of the infomation so I could cross check with what I have in writing from my order placed on 14th October

They confirmed mid Feb delivery and Apple Car Play, Android Auto and Over-the-air map updates

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, chris ha said:

I have no wish to take credit for anyones post,

Regardless the effect has been what I suggested.

Just trying to helpful, only joined this forum to share what I had discovered upon ordering my new Car, didn't realize that quoting another post, and not directly attributing would incur your wrath, be simpler if I just didn't bother, and leave you to patrol your domain

OK, the choice is yours.

I myself thank Chris ha for his input very helpful, I didn’t think for one minute it was his post, these forums are for people to help others, your post wasn’t and was totally unnecessary, it’s not the first post of yours either, I think management has gone to your head

• Like 1

Any information from whatever source whoever posts it even numerous times is helpful. The infotainment system Toyota are fitting in the Rav4 is crap compared to virtually all competitors and other Toyota territories.

Buff69, Dee Bee   thank you, my interest in Car Play was quite selfish, I need a phone conferencing facility for which I have an app in both Android and IOS, without access to these systems I would not have bought a RAV4 it really was that critical, which is why I insisted on dealer confirmation, and I have it in writing from the dealer that it will be in my Feb 2020 Delivery RAV4

Hi Chris, I thought you were being helpful too - it just looked to me like you were passing on someone else's info in a helpful way.  Please stick around 😀

I will do, most people on here seem genuinely nice, and ultimately have one aim, to enjoy our cars and to share infomation

• Thanks 1

At the end of the day, whether or not the post is helpful, if one is going to copy another member's post, either in part or (as in this case) in its entirety, it is common courtesy to, at the very least, make mention of the original poster or state that it is copied from someone else's post.

It won't be apparent to some members that the post may have been plagiarised. 

As regards moderation of the forums, any of the club's moderators may have picked up on this. No formal warnings have been given, and no-one has been restricted from posting. 

Please return to the topic subject.