Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Apple Carplay / Android Auto - any news

Southern Softy

Thanks, now just need to find out what the direct suitable replacement unit is?

On 10/19/2019 at 5:47 PM, Teresap said:

Hope it’s ok I copied and pasted the above post to my supplying dealer and his response was as follows 

Hi Teresa,

Nice to hear from you.

Yes I had a nice time away thank you.

Your Rav4 is still looking good for March registration and delivery.

Yes the Apple car play is being added to the 20.5 models, but this is going to reflect in a cost increase of around £500 we are being told by Toyota. 

Your car will not have the Apple car play, however it will be available as a retro fit option of which again I am told will cost approx £500 thus not making any difference due to your car being cheaper.

If you decide to fit later in the future then it will always be an option

The 20.5 models will not be available for delivery until at least summer if not September, as Toyota are still producing the current order bank they have.

Regards

So is this a software update for the £500 or a replacement unit?

i was told it would be a free upgrade so if it is just software it costs them nothing to upgrade existing customers.

I think from reading in the delivery times thread, that it sounds like a hardware upgrade, if so hopefully it will address other short comings like the low resolution 

With all the uncertainty of what will or not happen regarding Apple CarPlay 

I’ve been looking to see if mirror link will work but Apparently Apple don’t support mirror link, is this correct?

Does this mean I will have to go back to an android phone for it to interact with the current 2019 RAV4 information system using mirror link?

3 hours ago, Teresap said:

...Does this mean I will have to go back to an android phone for it to interact with the current 2019 RAV4 information system using mirror link?

I haven't tried it, but see here - 

Hi Southern Softy

Finally I will buy a RAV4 next week but stopped to check the inclusion of Apple Car Play (this is a showstopper for me).

I have been informed by Toyota UK that the main difference between the 2019 & 2020 model is that the UK 2020 RAV4 will come with Apple Car Play and Android 🙂

Hi - welcome to the forum.

It does seem that the Toyota UK Rav4 site does now link to the new version of the Infortainment system with Apple Car Play etc.  So it looks like new order would have this.

What delivery date have you been quoted?

Ties in with the info I have been posting over the last week or so

16 hours ago, RAVTASTIC_UK said:

Hi Southern Softy

Finally I will buy a RAV4 next week but stopped to check the inclusion of Apple Car Play (this is a showstopper for me).

I have been informed by Toyota UK that the main difference between the 2019 & 2020 model is that the UK 2020 RAV4 will come with Apple Car Play and Android 🙂

What delivery date have you been given?

iv not been given a firm delivery date been told between Feb to April my dealer has also confirmed mine will not have Apple CarPlay but CarPlay will be available as a retro fit at an unknown cost from April 2020 

My dealer has informed me that my new RAV4 when I get it next March will definitely NOT have Apple CarPlay but it will be available as a retro fit in April.. I have already told the dealer I want it fitted as soon as it’s available..

My question is does anyone on here have any idea what this involves. Is it simply a software update or is a replacement head unit. The estimated cost of £500 suggests to me it’s probably the later.

Devon Aygo or Parts-King (as they work for Toyota dealers) will probably be the only ones to be able to answer this at this stage. 

I have not seen anything myself TBH, I think the 2020 CH-R, and RAV models will have it as standard, but I doubt it will be a retro fit, not at £500 knowing the prices of Toyota head units 

1 hour ago, Parts-King said:

I have not seen anything myself TBH, I think the 2020 CH-R, and RAV models will have it as standard, but I doubt it will be a retro fit, not at £500 knowing the prices of Toyota head units 

I'll second that - I bought a Yaris in 2011 that came with a built-in but removable TomTom SatNav.  It was like a small tablet that fitted into a recess in the dash, where it looked built-in.  Press a button, and it popped out and could to used elsewhere, or taken indoors to be connected to a Mac or PC to download get cheap TomTom map updates.

My dealer told me if I lost it a new one was about £1,200 (probably excluding vat!).

2008536310_YarisSatNav.thumb.jpg.79c3cd94c05b89244cfb21893e0a61e8.jpg

So are you saying the CarPlay upgrade will be a software installation 

14 minutes ago, Teresap said:

So are you saying the CarPlay upgrade will be a software installation 

No - the answer was that nothing had been seen re the retro fit.

Both my dealer and Toyota Uk have said the Apple CarPlay will be available from next April   if it’s not I won’t be completing my purchases of my new RAV4 in March 

1 hour ago, Teresap said:

Both my dealer and Toyota Uk have said the apple CarPlay will be available from next April   if it’s not I won’t be completing my purchases of my new RAV4 in March 

Its your choice. Bear in mind that Toyota Owners Club has no association with Toyota, so members are reliant on what Toyota GB puts into the public domain, and currently details re the retro fit are lacking.

Should be free for early adopters, like Australia.... . I'm unsure if this was an easier/cheaper option for Toyota as from other posts I believe the hardware is different in Oz.. But either way the infotainment in my 69 plate is woeful and should be  upgraded to prevent further embarrassment to Toyota for releasing it in the first place... 

• Thanks 1

I agree with Ezcritique the current infotainment is abysmal compared to ALL of the competition and Toyota do not give a monkeys, nobody as yet seems to make a direct fit replacement unit, my previous model Rav system was far better and you can get several different replacement units if you want to. Apple Car Play was one feature my dealer (pre launch) was adamant my vehicle would have and was really apologetic and embarrassed when it wasn't. This situation may seem small to some people but has really hit my Toyota loyalty.

Knowing what the costs of the oem nav systems are it will be well north of £2k, (the Aygo xnav is around £2200) as above no one will get involved with a retrofit on a newish car

Tbh with such a new product i doubt there is any info about, Its enough hassle getting technical info for the touch2 with more and more systems being integrated into the radio/stereo its going to be very complex

Well.. I was at my dealer today for the wife to take a look at the car she wants and yet again it was confirmed the my very early October order for FWD in Tokyo Red, will be delivered mid March and will be the 20.5 derivative (?) and includes Carplay which will be manufactured early January..