Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

second/spare Prius remote

lipso

I just bought an 08 Prius. Only 1 key with it and its pretty frazzled. Any ideas on best way to get a spare? Can it only be got from a Toyota dealer? and how much?

Try an auto locksmith.

In the UK, depending on the type of key, Toyota dealers commonly charge around £150 including programming. This level of charge seems typical regardless of the vehicle manufacturer. For example back in 2003 when we bought two new Mazdas and wanted second remotes for each vehicle rather than using non-remotes, it cost £150 for each remote key.

• 2 weeks later...

From googling about this, is it possible to buy a used remote from another prius and then self reprogram it to my own prius? google searches suggest yes this can be done? By following a set of instructions to reprogram it - jist is inserting key 3 times, opening/closing drivers door, etc, etc?? 

Yes, but the reprogramming instructions on the web don't always work.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links