Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Now open for orders... Anyone?

Hilltopcruiser

Curious about people's views, just noticed the Moral is now open for orders online.

At a price of over £61k, is this the next thing or destined to fail? 

Personally I'm liking the concept, but the price makes it hard to see sense in any purchase that's nearing Tesla model S levels?

The Mirais is in very limited (~3000 p.a.) hand-made production - it's essentially a beta test. Toyota lose money on every one sold.

But it is garnering them a lot of data for future mass production models where costs will drop drastically.

& of course with hydrogen you can fuel up fully in 5 minutes (where available) rather than 1hr+.

p.s. I can't see where in Toyota UK's site you can configure a Mirai (I know that Toyota US' site does)? I think that atm all availble for the UK are going to fleets.

• 3 months later...

Hardly much point even thinking about this car. There is nowhere to buy the fuel.

I think that there are 12 publicly available H2 refueling points in the UK (plus some more private). However, as I said you can't buy this car in the UK unless you are a fleet etc. & even then I think that Toyota are placing the few available cars very carefully. It's a massive beta-test imo. 

1 hour ago, Jonmartin said:

Hardly much point even thinking about this car. There is nowhere to buy the fuel.

Whilst not many, you would be surprised, they are mainly in the Wales/ London corridor and Aberdeen areas :thumbsup:

For hydrogen to catch on, there needs to be some massive infrastructural changes to make it even worth considering buying/leasing one.

I know it's new technology and the tech is still reasonably new, but 61k for a car that you couldn't realistically own unless you lived in London, it's too much.

Having said that, I can see Toyota making smaller, cheaper models in future once the systems have had all the kinks worked out and once they do and the infrastructure is there, you'll see loads of hydrogen powered vehicles.

Alan

Cost of a Hydrogen car is stupid, however, Toyota have released all patents on the technology (apart from the fuel cell) in order to get others involved and to bring prices down. Once you have sufficient vehicles (buses, lorries etc) then I expect it to take off. When I was talking to the chap who runs the Mirai programme, he said that because there is no "fuel product" as such to buy, then when there is demand, the big supermarkets will get in on the act as there is no raw product to buy, just water and electricity and a bit of chemistry, then you have a saleable product, on the forecourt, no transport costs etc etc