Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First Toyota im looking at, things I should look for?

Byfielder

Good evening thanks for viewing my post, new to this forum and hoping to find my first Toyota :). 

I have seen one come up for sale that I am tempted by, it is down the road from me on a forecourt its a avensis estate 2008 model 2.2 D-4D T180 engine. It's done 105, 000 miles.

My questions are... 

Does this engine model/year have a DPF fitted? 

And secondly, do these engines have any design related fatal floors that manifest at high mileage that I should be aware of before looking at the car, or are pretty decent (if looked after)? 

Any advise is much appreciated. 

Regards 

Jamie

The AD series engine could suffer head gasket failure, and Toyota covered repairs using a goodwill arrangement for a period of 7 years/111,846 miles, whichever occurred first, from first registration. All vehicles are now beyond the assistance Toyota put into place. It is thought only a small percentage were affected, but it is still a possible weak area.

See 

A Toyota dealer should be able to confirm whether a replacement engine was fitted under the goodwill arrangement.

The T180 s have a DPNR which is a Toyota-specific version of a DPF (https://www.toyota-club.net/files/2004/04-04-10_rem_dpnr.htm)

If it's on a dealer's forecourt then you would be covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015 which gives you pretty good rights for the 1st 6 months (so you could buy it, potentially find any existing faults & reject/get them to fix etc.)

If the condition/history is good..(check the MOT history) then you shouldn't really have any great worries...The Avensis is a good car.

I assume your annual mileage sways you towards diesel.???..a petrol Avensis is always a sound bet.

Ok, yeah I have some doubt on weather my daily use will be sufficient to keep the dpf happy, I dont think i do enough daily commute (16.5 miles min - 4 miles of it is motorway), but I would need something to work well on motorway to see long distance family on occasions. 

Do you think I should be looking at something else instead? 

Regards 

Jamie 

Hi Jamie.

If you fancy this car write down the reg. number and take it to a main dealership and ask them to check on their computer if it has had an engine change?

If they can't or won't tell you or they do tell you that it hasn't then don't even consider it with reference to what Frostyballs said, (A very experienced man incidentally).

If you took the decision to buy it but don't know about the engine it could cost you £7000,00, not a chance worth taking.

For approx. 3 years Toyota made a bad batch of engines, 1996-1999 in the diesel range, petrol ones are ok.

Regards, Mike.

maybe you should be considering a petrol Avensis then.?...no worries at all there.

It would do all you need it to do...with ease and reliability...the Avensis is a very good car and you could do MUCH worse.

1 hour ago, Byfielder said:

Ok, yeah I have some doubt on weather my daily use will be sufficient to keep the dpf happy, I dont think i do enough daily commute (16.5 miles min - 4 miles of it is motorway),

Only a small % of AD engines develop the head/headgasket issues but prevalence, anecdotally at least, increases with engine power. Fixing to Toyota's approved standard/method would now cost more than the car is worth (however, we have heard of people who apparently resolved their issues for much less than that).

Is that 16.5 miles/day or 16.5 each way? Even at 31 per day, assuming 5 day week that's under 8000 miles per annum which is really petrol territory. I personally wouldn't run any modern emission-equipped, common-rail turbodiesel out of warranty - the potential costs of likely failures (clutch/DMF, injectors, DPF, turbo etc.) are likely to bite you more than any fuel saving cost.

If you get a 1.8VVTi get a 2006> facelift - earlier could suffer from high oil consumption issues.

I just contacted toyota, no records of major engine work has been carried out on the car, combined with my lack of miles daily usage I have decided I will give this particular one a miss. 

Thanks for all your helpful guidance tho, toyota is definitely the direction i want to go, for now, my search continues... 

Many thanks

Jamie

• Like 1

Update: Tomorrow I am collecting a 2007 Avensis Estate 1.8VVT tomorrow, it is high mileage but I do low annual miles anyway <4500mls.

Can anyone confirm what the frequency is for timing belt (or chain) and water pumps need replacing on these engines? 

Kind regards 

Jamie

Screenshot_20190429-171909.jpg

it's chain-driven timing so shouldn't really need changing.

Really? Its at 149k miles currently, it is smooth as silk at the moment, so is it still a no worry then at this mileage!? 

Wouldn't worry about it...that mileage is not so unusual... it's probably been looked after and I trust you have paid an appropriate price that reflects the mileage.

keep on top of the oil and filter changes..that's the key.

Enjoy it.

Paid £600 quid 😁

Going for a full service soon, 

J

@£600 you can't really lose...hope it serves you well.