Do Not Sell My Personal Information

rattle noise t sport suspension?

Ben93

I have bought a t sport due to someone writing my d4d off. 02 plate all runs lift works nicely etc pretty well looked after. Now from passenger side from there sounds like a rattle knock sort of noise over any bumpy roads or surfaces I have had a brief look underneath and could not see anything obvious that side and can't replicate the noise bouncing the suspension either. There's a new tie rod on that side already etc. I've pulled about the wheel and can't see much happening etc. It's weird rattly knock not mega bad it's worse as I don't have a radio at minute I wouldn't notice otherwise. I've drove it a month so far and it hasn't got worse doesn't affect handling car doesn't pull either way when moving or breaking etc. 

Sounds like brake pad rattle, does the noise stop if you brake lightly  ?

Mintex Cerafix cured my rattle.

You say a new tie rod on that side,  usual to replace parts like that in axle pairs as probably the other one is going to follow suit.

Bushes worn? Rattle could be metal on metal like the anti roll bar. MOT should highlight this though.

I did have a rattle once from a spanner being dropped to the side of the air filter box. Found it and was one spanner richer 😊

• Like 1

Still happens with brakes on. It's like a light clunky rattle could just be as simple as a bush somewhere car drive beutiful and it's by far the most fun I've had in a car. Only downside is the fuel economy 28mog if drivin nice 8mpg in lift

Yikes. My 1.8 VVTL-I does 42 - 44 mpg on a long run, and about 35 mpg when I lift it. You perhaps need to tighten up hoses, clean air filter, clean the PCV etc. and also put in some injector cleaner in the tank - this stuff does actually work to unblock the fuel injectors on the VVTL-I to better regulate mixture and improve mpg longer term.

I’ve never seen anyone with mpg that high on a t sport. I’ve done just over half a tank of petrol now and 150miles so probably get 280/300 miles per tank if I drive reasonably with it. I find they rev too high to get decent mpg 70 in 6th is over 3k rpm :,) 

Not actually sure what the point of 6th gear is it’s almost identical to 5th 

On 5/1/2019 at 12:44 PM, DeTomato said:

Bushes worn? Rattle could be metal on metal like the anti roll bar. MOT should highlight this though.

I did have a rattle once from a spanner being dropped to the side of the air filter box. Found it and was one spanner richer 😊

Hi Ben.

This one I see very possible. Rubber bushes are not too expensive so either yourself or a garage to replace them.

Incidentally if you take your car to a garage to be mended don't tell them 'I think it's the anti roll bar bushes' but let them diagnose the noise, that way possible problems fall into their lap and not yours.

Good luck, Mike.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mike169 said:

Hi Ben.

This one I see very possible. Rubber bushes are not too expensive so either yourself or a garage to replace them.

Incidentally if you take your car to a garage to be mended don't tell them 'I think it's the anti roll bar bushes' but let them diagnose the noise, that way possible problems fall into their lap and not yours.

Good luck, Mike.

I'm lucky enough that a few of my mates are mechanics and let me borrow there Ramos we normally look at car together and find issues and he will change parts. Last time clutch went only payed 200 labour for clutch and flywheel 

16 hours ago, Ben93 said:

I’ve never seen anyone with mpg that high on a t sport. 

My 2003 T Sport has only done 65,000 miles ☺

I had my T Sport from new and kept it 8 yrs and around 72k. Great fun but found it 'tiring' rev wise on the motorway, it really needed a much higher 6th gear. I think the ratios were chosen to get performance on paper, something like being able to keep it in lift in all gears if you took it right up to the rev limiter before changing up a gear. MPG was pretty good considering and I recall low 40's throughout my time with it. Only problem I had that needed money spending was a weeping front shock absorber.

• Thanks 1