Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which Tyres RAV4

marlinleg

Does any member know what tyres Toyota UK Fit  to the all new Rav 4 ?

Not really concerned which  brand . I am now purchasing a AWD as opposed to the 2WD having never owned a 4AWD are they better in snow , or is it beneficial to still go with winter tyres ( Continental WinterContact seem to get good reviews)  my driving is 80 miles motorway 40/60 miles town every week 

members advice please on tyres 

Also any advice on Toyota AWD

Once again thank you to one and ALL

Thank you

Mod edit - please use standard size font (14). Shouting removed. Warnings may be issued in future.

I don't know what size let alone what make and model of tyres are being fitted to the 2019 model year RAV 4. They used to fit Bridgestone Duelers H/T tyres to the RAV 4.3 and 4.4 but I've a feeling that they've started shipping of Bridgestone Ecopia - possibly with the introduction of the hybrid (from the 4.4). I don't know this for a fact and am happy to be corrected. The Ecopia is a more road oriented tyre, optimised to provide a lower rolling resistance and better fuel economy.

It is always preferable to be on cold weather tyres during the winter months. The Conti Winter Contacts are brilliant - that's what I run on mine. But that leaves you with the hassle of swapping between summer and winter tyres. These days there are excellent all season tyres available that are certified for winter use with the 3PMS symbol - Michelin Cross Climates are the premium example of these though there are now many others.

A 4WD car will always give better traction on any given tyre - there are four driven wheels after all - but the key reason for fitting cold weather or all season tyres is for their ability to stop when you need to. And then it makes no real difference how many wheels are driven.

from what I have read (Toyota European News Centre iirc) in Europe they are shipping on a standard road tyre even if AWD. Obviously it is unlikely that you will need Winter tyres for probably ~ 7 or 8 months of the year in Tyne & Wear.

I have WinterContacts for my Avensis but am strongly considering going over to all season/weather tyres (e.g. Goodyear Vector 4 seasons Gen 2 or Michelin CrossClimate+ )  when they are due for replacement.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, philip42h said:

...key reason for fitting cold weather or all season tyres is for their ability to stop when you need to. And then it makes no real difference how many wheels are driven.

... and turn.

So far, all the 2019 RAVs I've seen are 2WD and have Dunlop Grandtrek ST 30 fitted, size 225/60R18 100H (the lowest spec will have 17" rims instead of 18").

I won't be surprised if my AWD has the same tyres when it arrives.  I will be getting winter tyres for it in the autumn unless by soem fluke it arrives on all seasons tyres.

47 minutes ago, PeteB said:

... and turn.

So far, all the 2019 RAVs I've seen are 2WD and have Dunlop Grandtrek ST 30 fitted, size 225/60R18 100H (the lowest spec will have 17" rims instead of 18").

I won't be surprised if my AWD has the same tyres when it arrives.  I will be getting winter tyres for it in the autumn unless by soem fluke it arrives on all seasons tyres.

So they are what in America would be described as "all season" tires and as an "M + S rated tire with an all-season tread design that helps deliver year-round traction and enhanced wet handling". Kwik-Fit (GB) usefully adds "Based on German legislation the tyre cannot be used in winter conditions in Germany" which rather implies that they are not rated for winter use and don't bear the 3PMS symbol. (I can't believe I just quoted from Kwik-Fit ... )

Hi,

I thought they were pt30?

Regatds,

Oscar

Extract from the Goodyear Autocare Australia website:

"The Dunlop Grandtrek PT30 is Toyotas choice of tyre on the 2019 RAV4. Focussed on fuel efficiency, comfort, low noise, and superior grip, this tyre carves a new path for the increasingly popular mid SUV."

NB: The Dunlop brand is 100% owned by Goodyear in Australia, in Europe/North America owned 75% by Goodyear/25% Sumitomo, and 100% owned by Sumitomo in Asia.

Ah!  You might be right, in which case they're summer tyres.

Hi,

Car collected this morning. Hybrid Design AWD i, UK.

Dunlop SP 😞

Regards,

O

Hi Oscar, 

That must be from the 1st shipment of AWD to the U.K. I would think, enjoy your new wheels.

I only have another 11 weeks to wait 😩

Hi, 

Yes, it must be. According the Lady at the garage, it was the first 4wd she has handed.

I haven’t  seen any New RAV4 on the road yet.

Regards,

Oscar

Enjoy August the 12th for me 😍

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

Collected my  AWD Hybrid Excel this week and Bridgestone Allenza H/L 33 are fitted to mine 

EF4551D8-6475-4793-91AC-117E1C179B1F.jpeg

I had Michelin Cross Climate tyres on my BMW X3, which I sold recently.

Very quiet, comfortable, good in the wet, dry and snow in Fife. My wife has them on her new Lexus.

It’s a bit of a faff changing to winter tyres unless you have a set of wheels as well complete with the TPMS valves. There’s always the risk of the TPMS sensors being damaged if tyres are changed regularly.

5 hours ago, Tomfromfife said:

...It’s a bit of a faff changing to winter tyres unless you have a set of wheels as well complete with the TPMS valves. There’s always the risk of the TPMS sensors being damaged if tyres are changed regularly.

I didn't bother with another set of wheels, just bought my winter tyres from my dealer, who is always competitive on price (once even got a London KwikFit to price match my dealer when it wasn't convenient to get to Norwich!).

My dealer also stores them for me for a one-off £40 set-up fee (and free thereafter) and then £30 per time (for all four wheels) to swap the tyres onto my original wheels, including new valves and balancing (all including vat).  My service manager and I feel that the few tyre swaps is no more harmful to the tyres than taking them off for a few punctures, and I've seen no downsides during the 4 winters since I started doing this *.

I spoke to him today and he said that come October there will be no further setup charge and it will remain £30 a time for swaps.  Also avoids any issues with the TPMS sensors (not that I'd expect any with the dealer doing the swaps) +, or buying an other set of sensors for the second set of wheels.

* esxcept just once when a TPMS sensor was cracked.  The Service Manager didn't think it was the swapping that caused it, but either way replaced it under warranty without quibble.

• Like 1

my dealership offered to change my tyres form summer to winter £36 including vat the lot I have to store the tyres no bother I have a spare room  great deal when Vw and bmw won’t to sell you alloys wheels and winter tyres at £££££££££ Plus £160 to store 

• 2 years later...

My Rav4 Evcel 2WD is fitted with (noisey) Toyo Proxes R46A !!

Does any owner have these tyres on their Rav4 2WD  or even MId range Tyres fitted?

These cost £99/corner on a £38000 car, is this normal?

Probably would have been better to start a new thread, it’s been two years since this one died. It could be a lot worse, they used to fit Bridgestone Duelers, they are OK in the dry, but useless in the wet even from new.

2 hours ago, Brazza said:

My Rav4 Evcel 2WD is fitted with (noisey) Toyo Proxes R46A !!

Does any owner have these tyres on their Rav4 2WD  or even MId range Tyres fitted?

These cost £99/corner on a £38000 car, is this normal?

Yes - a number of members have reported their cars being delivered on Toyo Proxes R46A, so it is 'normal'.

I didn’t know until last night, when I was searching Google maps for something, that Toyo tyres has a UK HQ in Rushden. Always nice if have problems (my Prius is shod with Toyo) knowing maker can be approached.

my tyres are Dunlop Grandtrek PT30 im in n.ireland.

had a run to manchester last week great motor, first long run in my first auto.

i got to use all the new gadgets,well impressed.

• Like 1

I would recomend these Nokian 'Season Proof' tyres. https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre/Nokian/SeasonProof.htm

Fitted them to an old RAV4 we bought last summer, as it's only used for low milage, round town work.  I wanted somthing that would get up the hill outside my house in the snow and ice, which they did with ease.

They have proved to be excellent in the snow, ice, rain and the heatwave of the last weeks. I wouldn't put them on a car for a summer 'track day' but thats not what they are designed for.

Bought them through mytyres.co.uk at a very competative price.

John N

Interesting, but not available in 235/55R19 which is the tyre fitted to the R4P.

• Like 1