Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Which Tyres RAV4

marlinleg

@John N, thanks I hadn’t looked myself other than used the link. When the time comes I’d still look first to CrossClimates as I’ve had such an excellent experience with them on a number of different cars. Interesting and I’d certainly look at all the options.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John N said:

I have found them on mytyres.co.uk https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rshop/tyre/Nokian/Seasonproof-SUV/235-55-R19-105W-XL/R-440852

At £160 each, and even at that price I would recommend them.

John N

Even the reviews on the page you linked to clearly state it’s not great in the wet, dry and suffers from understeer amongst other things, now they’re £160 each which is £30 more a corner than either the CrossClimate or Vector 4Season Gen2’s that are the Goodyear equivalent both outperform the Nokian’s in every test I have seen.

To be honest I read the tyre reviews, they give a good guide to the quality of a tyre brand, but I treat them with caution. Remember these brands spend a fortune on sales promotion!

I've been driving for over 50 years and have used many makes of tyre, the better ones have been Dunlop, Goodyear, Pirelli, Kumho, Michelin and Nokian. Every tyre is a compromise between dry grip, wet grip, snow grip, comfort, noise, tread life, economy and price. 

For the last 10 years all the cars in the family have used Nokian, for me their balance of qualities is right, but it may not be for other drivers.

Just avoid the cheapest, from my experiance they may cost you your life!

John N

On 8/3/2021 at 5:36 AM, ernieb said:

Interesting, but not available in 235/55R19 which is the tyre fitted to the R4P.

Hi Ernie,

I just noticed this old thread which is timely.

What name and type are fitted to the R4P?

I'll be up some mountains in winter snow so I'm keen to see if I can just buy a set of good wet, snow, off road tyres and get the dealer to store the others.

Ta

@Nick72,  Yokohama, Avid GT, BlueEarth, they do have a M+S mark.  So far I’ve been happy with the performance of these tyres although limited to summer use. However, in heavy rain and going through standing water they have seemed very stable and secure.  Obviously the colder weather will tell the real story but I will see how these hold up and hopefully not have to buy a new set until they have some wear on them.

B04C5B03-208A-47D5-9830-72E5BCB87F89.jpeg

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, ernieb said:

@Nick72,  Yokohama, Avid GT, BlueEarth, they do have a M+S mark.  So far I’ve been happy with the performance of these tyres although limited to summer use. However, in heavy rain and going through standing water they have seemed very stable and secure.  Obviously the colder weather will tell the real story but I will see how these hold up and hopefully not have to buy a new set until they have some wear on them.

B04C5B03-208A-47D5-9830-72E5BCB87F89.jpeg

Perfect thanks Ernie. Ignore my comment on the crossed thread. Apologies. 

• 2 weeks later...

My car in Portugal never sees snow or frost. After 10+ years of Toyota recommended Duelers, and reading 3 different comparison tests, I finally renewed with Michelin Pilot Sport (was going for Goodyear but my supplier could find the Michelin for only a tenner more). Not sure about road holding but wow we can actually converse quietly at speed! So much less road noise. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links