Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Tray on Exhaust - what to do?

DeTomato

So I had an MOT two weeks ago and today a rattle appeared when stationary.

I thought the noise was at the front of the car until I looked underneath and could hear (and then see) the rusted rear tray or cover resting and rattling on top of the exhaust. I pinched the side of the tray to see how much it had moved and it was so rusty it crumbled in my fingers which is where there is an edge bit missing now (first photo).

So question is, can I remove this tray or does it have to be replaced? Has anyone done this before? Do I really need it?

Corolla1.jpg

Corolla3.jpg

Corolla2.jpg

Well it's a heat shield, so it's job is to stop the heat from the exhaust seeping in to the cabin.

Do you need it? Personally I think so. Do you need to replace it? I'd say not, you could probably fix it. Getting something like JB weld maybe on the part of the sheild thats broken off and basically stick it back? Might do the trick.

Thanks. I fear it's so rusty that trying to stick it together with JB Weld (which is good stuff) will just make it fall apart even more. I just tried to look up the part but it doesn't appear. Looks like I will have to buy some metal and make one!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links