Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Maintenance advice

Amges

I just bought a 2003 T3 VVt-i 1.6 with 120k on the clock, it didn't come with the service book, so I'm looking for your wise advice on what maintenance should I be looking to give to my beloved Corolla? All break pads changed this week because they were clearly worn out.

Welcome aboard,

You can't go far wrong with the basics (coolant/brakes/oil/tyres etc)..and any MOT advisories will indicate where work needs to be done (it's always a good idea to do the MOT history check)...and on the VVTi engine the important thing is to keep on top of the oil/filter changes..I change oil/filter every 5/6k miles on our Toyotas....though in our case that's only usually once per year.

Enjoy it.

Thank you!

I really like the car, amazing good engine by what I heard and will give it plenty of tlc, a good service (all filters) and oil change asap. The only thing I noticed is a slight vibration on idle, wouldn't say it's a poor idle, maybe change the spark plugs too?

On this series I know it has a chain, but what about water pump change?I'm not sure if it requires changing or how often.

Hi,

You really want to get a copy of the Haynes Manual 2002-2006 as it details all aspects of servicing very well.

For a car your age/mileage  with an unknown history you really need to give it the full monty,

As well as the basics mentioned above, things like brake fluid change, brake sliders cleaned, antifreeze flush and change ( normally at 100k miles), gearbox oil change, pollen filter, aux drive belt etc.

Not worth changing parts like the water pump if they are running sweetly, plus you do not have to touch the chain the replace the water pump.

Worth checking the air con is working ok before it gets hot weather, a recharge might be needed.

Find replacing the dipped beam headlight with a better bulb well worth it, used Nightbreakers myself.

Tickover is low at around 600-650rpm and as other have noted can be rather lumpy / a bit vibrating, if there is a cure would be good to know.

As said, the Haynes manual is very good for your needs 

https://haynes.com/en-gb/toyota/corolla/2002-2007

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Corolla-Haynes-Manual-2002-07-1-4-1-6-Petrol-2-0-Diesel-Workshop-Manual/251112142259?epid=647715431&hash=item3a777335b3:g:cnQAAOxyHIlTYOmK

• Like 1

Thanks! That was my first search and kept a copy of the owners manual for future reference.

The US Corolla may well have differences from the European/UK ones though?

it seems to be a 1.4L not a 1.6L, "Made in Japan", I'm also registered on Toyota to have a look on a airbag recall, is it worth doing?

6 minutes ago, Amges said:

I'm also registered on Toyota to have a look on a airbag recall, is it worth doing?

In terms of safety, yes. Aside from that, there is a proposed change for the MOT for this year where if a vehicle has an outstanding recall, it will be an instant fail.

Totally agree with the mot change, I'll book it in for the recall, just getting my head round how professional Toyota are!

4 hours ago, Amges said:

it seems to be a 1.4L not a 1.6L, "Made in Japan", I'm also registered on Toyota to have a look on a airbag recall, is it worth doing?

it's free, why not?

If you haven't bought the basic service parts already - it's well worth popping over to your local Toyota dealer to enquire on the cost of a "service kit".

Much to my surprise, my local Toyota dealer here in Preston (Vantage Toyota) were doing an offer on a service kit, which included engine oil, oil filter, sump plug gasket, air filter, cabin filter, all of this cost me just £41.26 (effectively I got the engine oil thrown in for free!), and their parts representative Mark could not be any more helpful, as he suggested I go for the kit to get the best saving. 

For comparison, the Bosch filters + Shell oil equivalents from EuroCarParts would have set me back £71.86 (that's after applying their discount code), so well worth at least trying to find out how much your local Mister T would charge for the parts.

• Like 1

Worth asking, I haven't bought any service kit as yet, waiting for the V5 to validate my corolla on the toyota website to be able to retrieve some of the service history and book the recall on the airbag. I noticed today driving it there's some hesitation, thought initially it was due to short drives but after 60 miles roundtrip it didn't improve.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links