Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2019 RAV4 - Auto lock / open windows

Polys

Anyone knows if the 2019 RAV4 support auto lock when you walk away from the car?

Also, do the windows open when you press and hold the unlock button on the key-fob?

Presume you mean 'global opening/closing'.

No, the keyless entry/exit feature unlocks the door when you put your hand inside the handle on the front doors or press the boot opening button.  To lock the car, you touch and marked area on the door handle.

The manual has this about opening /closing windows with the remote, this has to be enabled by a dealer.  However, I have a feeling this facility is only available if you have the moon-roof option, and when enabled causes the windows and moon-roof to open/close simultaneously by holding the remote button.

I can't see whey this feature can't be available just for the windows on cars that don't have the moon-roof, so maybe I'm wrong.  I'll be asking my dealer when the car arrives.

"■ Power windows and panoramic moon roof* (P.258, 261) *: If equipped

• Key linked operation (open)
  • Key linked operation (close)
  • Wireless remote control linked operation (open)
  • Wireless remote control linked operation (close)"

Thanks for the reply. So the car will not automatically lock if you simply walk away from it (i.e. the key goes away from it 🙂 )? It will stay unlocked unless you touch the area on the door handle

yes, or operate the remote lock button, or use the emergency (physical) key.  Also, you can press the lock button on the driver's door armrest before closing it, then close it while holding the outside handle outwards.  The last two options won't set the alarm.  You'd also need to touch the handle or use the remote button twice to activate the deadlock (double lock).

The only time the car locks itself is if the remote or handle unlock operation is used without actually opening a door, in which case it will re-lock in 30 sec.

• 4 months later...

Indeed - on another thread I've explained that my dealer was able to do this when they delivered the car (for no charge).  They weren't aware it was possible and said I was the first person to request them to enable it.

Either the dealer needs to enable the option via their maintenance computer, or some people buy a tool that connects to the Diagnostic Port and has either a device of software for a mobile phone that enables you to do this yourself.

A dealer may charge a fee for enabling it, but if done when they deliver the car or at a service they may do it for free.

It was certainly very useful in the hot weather to use the fob to open all windows as I walked towards the car so the worst of the heat was let out before I got in.  It would be useful to close a window that been left open after you've got out, but as there's an audible warning and message on the dash when you open the driver's door with a window open it shouldn't happen too often.

For people who have ordered a new Rav4, be aware your dealer will need to set this 'windows open and closed' with pressing button on key fob. Possibly does moon roof as well if you wish to have this. I had this on my old Land Rover Freelander and used it all the time. So I now have to go back and visit service department or wait for my next service in 10,000 miles time which is a bit annoying.

It became handy in hot weather but also after turning car off walking away and seeing my daughter had left her window open.

On the Land Rover if I remember right I could program the key fob myself, but for the Rav4 the dealer has to do it.