Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Type 1 (schuko) Charging cables to type 2 at public charging stations ?

HSDish

What I understand has some Plug In cars, eg Prius PHEV 2012-16 (gene 1/3) only type 1 (schuko) contact for charging in ordinary household outlet. Are there cables or adapters so that you can charge these cars on public charging stations, which usually have type 2 sockets? Tips are gratefully received

do you think this cable will work for charging an Prius PHEV gen 1/3 2012-16  on/at public charging stationsmennekes-typ-1-till-typ-2-laddkabel-for-elbil-7-4-kw-1-fas.thumb.jpg.79d62404cb220ce0bb910be613ecff34.jpg

Is https://www.amazon.co.uk/EV-Charging-cable-meters-Type1/dp/B00YTWWYAO/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?adgrpid=64235148922&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsOaH796E4gIVSLDtCh1_YQGOEAAYAiAAEgIBr_D_BwE&hvadid=314035094071&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9045080&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t2&hvqmt=b&hvrand=17445462539473586916&hvtargid=kwd-317780446457&hydadcr=39_1867856&keywords=type+1+to+type+2+charging+cable&qid=1557071452&quartzVehicle=72-1783&replacementKeywords=type+1+to+type+charging+cable&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1 the sort of thing you are after? A Google search should come up with plenty of alternatives. I have no direct experience, as I have the current PHV with type 2 plug. 

I'm sure that if you contact a seller, they will confirm suitability. If they won't give you an answer, then that should tell you to look elsewhere. 

Cables are not cheap, and there is a lot of price variation, so research it well. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Ancient Nerd said:

Is https://www.amazon.co.uk/EV-Charging-cable-meters-Type1/dp/B00YTWWYAO/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?adgrpid=64235148922&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsOaH796E4gIVSLDtCh1_YQGOEAAYAiAAEgIBr_D_BwE&hvadid=314035094071&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9045080&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t2&hvqmt=b&hvrand=17445462539473586916&hvtargid=kwd-317780446457&hydadcr=39_1867856&keywords=type+1+to+type+2+charging+cable&qid=1557071452&quartzVehicle=72-1783&replacementKeywords=type+1+to+type+charging+cable&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1 the sort of thing you are after? A Google search should come up with plenty of alternatives. I have no direct experience, as I have the current PHV with type 2 plug. 

I'm sure that if you contact a seller, they will confirm suitability. If they won't give you an answer, then that should tell you to look elsewhere

Cables are not cheap, and there is a lot of price variation, so research it well. 

Thanks !

I have asked two (not my local though) sellers/dealers but they didn't know so ...  no shoping there 🙂  😞 

Yes, any Type 1 to Type 2 cable like the above should work. Don't bother with main dealers, there are plenty available online.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, QuantumFireball said:

Yes, any Type 1 to Type 2 cable like the above should work. Don't bother with main dealers, there are plenty available online.

Thanks!

I have not bought any Prius Gen 1/3 PHEV yet, they are not so easy to find around here, but I continue to keep my eyes open.

But I wanted to be sure about the chargingcable.

• 1 month later...

Now we traded in our Auris TS HSD 2014 for an Prius PHEV 2015 and I got this Type 1 to Type 2 cable for charging at public chargingstations

(as in this link, but the green one)

https://eyocar.en.made-in-china.com/product/YSFxHRITOzrW/China-TUV-IEC62196-2-Type2-Male-to-Female-Plug-EV-Charging-Cable.html

The manual for the Prius Plug In gen1 (as our 2015) says

"connect to a socket for AC 220V-240V with residual current circuit breaker (RCCB) and circuit breakers as for local regulations. Use of a single circuit for at least 13A is strongly recommended "

This applies to the original schuko cable, as I can understand.

Instructional book's data on hybrid Battery in our Prius Plug In 2015

Hybrid Battery
Type-Lithium Ion Battery
Voltage — 3.7 V/cell
Capacity – 21.5 Ah
Number — 56 cells
Total voltage – 207 V

But ... because I'm ignorant on the subject and I want to be able to charge at as many public chargingstations as possible, my question is…

Can/dare I use the above (pictured, green) type 1 to type 2 cable to charge our Prius PHEV at public charging stations with 1 phase 32A 7.4 kw? 

Most other public chargingstations hereby is unfortunately 3 Phase 16A 11kw or 3 Phase 32A  22kw and I assume I don’t dare to charge our car there, if I understand correctly or… is thete any way/possibility to charge our car there to. Maybe with some adapter ?

DSC_0767.JPG

DSC_0770.JPG

DSC_0771.JPG

DSC_0772.JPG

You should be able to use that cable on any public charger that has a Type 2 socket. Even if they're three-phase they should be able to provide single-phase power to cars that require it. The car will only draw as much current as it is capable of using, which I think is 10A @ 230V (about 2.2 kW).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, QuantumFireball said:

You should be able to use that cable on any public charger that has a Type 2 socket. Even if they're three-phase they should be able to provide single-phase power to cars that require it. The car will only draw as much current as it is capable of using, which I think is 10A @ 230V (about 2.2 kW).

Tanks a lot.

You made my day.  I Will test right now. 

Tested to charge from an public 3 Phase 32A  22kw station and it seemed to woork out well 🙂

Charged for an hour and got 19.2km (about 11.1637 miles I think) EV range.

What will probably happen if the charger is to strong/much? How do I notice ?

Is it likely that the cable or the hybrid Battery, will be to hot/warm?

Couldent detect any of these when i tested to charge from an 3 Phase 32A  22kw public chargestation

There's nothing to worry about, the car will only draw the amount of power it needs. As long as it can provide single phase 230V AC at >10A it's fine.

It's like your mains sockets in your house - they are probably rated for 230V 16A (not sure what country you're in, it's 13A in UK/IRL), but you can still plug in a USB power supply (with a current draw of <0.5 A) and nothing's going to catch fire.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, QuantumFireball said:

There's nothing to worry about, the car will only draw the amount of power it needs. As long as it can provide single phase 230V AC at >10A it's fine.

It's like your mains sockets in your house - they are probably rated for 230V 16A (not sure what country you're in, it's 13A in UK/IRL), but you can still plug in a USB power supply (with a current draw of <0.5 A) and nothing's going to catch fire.

Thanks again !

This (new to me) info. Increase my oppotrunities to charge at public chargingstations from (as I thought only 1phase was possible) 3 to more than 50 sockets in our small town, wherof 12 I regulary wisit each week.

In our biggest region town and in the area where my son lives my oppotrunities to charge at public chargingstations increase from 0/none to ten/10 sockets.