Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2019 Rav 4 - delivery - lead times - order to delivery

AdrianRot

Individual journeys can vary tremendously, especially if you start with 7 bars on the HV Battery and finish with 2 or vice versa.

Factor in the optimistic computed figures in-car too - since year 2000, I've logged tank to tank fuel use and mileage or all my Toyotas (9 of them) and invariably the calculated figures have been between 3% & 8% higher than what the car said, so I always reduce individual journey claims by 5%, this being an approximate average over estimatation.

Then of course, we don't know how accurate the odometer is, but all the ones I've seen checked have over-read too.

I've had computed mpg figures of low 80s on 120 miles journeys in fair weather, favourable traffic and gentle driving in ECO mode on my current Prius, and 97.5 mpg on a 19 mile journey.  But I also do lots of short cold start journeys, which can get wincingly low mpg reports, especially if in cold weather and starting with a low HV Battery charge so the engine finishes a warm-up cycle just as I switch off again.  As you can see from Fuelly, my overall average at the moment is 63½, and this is slowly climbing as the weather warms up (though not this weekend!).

When I get it, I'll start getting a real feel for my RAV4's average mpg with my particular terrain and driving style once I've done several full tank calculations.

In case anyone is interested (and hasn't seen it) I quoted some fuel consumption figures for my two test drives in the notes I wrote up:

http://www.biwel.com/pmb01/RAV4_Dynamic_FWD_Test_Drive.pdf

• Like 1

Hi Pete,

I realise mpg is always going to be subject to many factors so I would be happy with around 50 mpg, anything more being a bonus. Do you think the AWD will achieve more than the 2WD given the extra electric motor ?

14 minutes ago, Southern Softy said:

... Do you think the AWD will achieve more than the 2WD given the extra electric motor ?

Hi Martin

What I've seen in print suggests the AWD will be 2-3 mpg worse than the 2WD, although it wasn't clear if the comparison was with the same size tyres on both - for example, if the 2WD was on 17", that would be slightly better too, assuming they are less wide than 18".  On the other hand, some US models get 19" wheels, Vs our 18" on everything except the base 2WD model.

If I hadn't seen that, I'd have guessed that (all other things being equal - trim level/weight, tyre size) they should be very close.  The electric rear drive + differential adds less weight than a conventional shaft-driven AWD system, and there should be minimal extra drag when it's not in use.  Add to that it seems the rear Motor/Generator (as it's described in some Toyota statements on the Blog site) gives a bit of extra regen when slowing/braking, which may help a little.  AWD Energy monitor views on various YouTube reviews seem to support this.

So I'm expecting it to be very similar, but prepared for it to be slightly worse.  Having come close to spending a night in a car in heavy snow that wasn't forecast, it's a trade-off I'm happy to make, even if I never need it (will be fitting winter tyres when the time comes too, or at least all seasons).

I picked mine up last Tuesday, I was lucky,  I ordered it in March but it came 2 weeks early. The Sales Manager told me now AWD models are now out for October/November delivery,  demand has been very high,  when I collected mine there were 4 others being delivered for collection too.

• Like 1

I picked mine up last Tuesday, I was lucky,  I ordered it in March but it came 2 weeks early. The Sales Manager told me now AWD models are now out for October/November delivery,  demand has been very high,  when I collected mine there were 4 others being delivered for collection too.
What date did you get the 4wd model?
I was told that Toyota had said to our dealer they couldn't register any 4wd models until 1st of May.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, PeteB said:

Hi Martin

What I've seen in print suggests the AWD will be 2-3 mpg worse than the 2WD, although it wasn't clear if the comparison was with the same size tyres on both - for example, if the 2WD was on 17", that would be slightly better too, assuming they are less wide than 18".  On the other hand, some US models get 19" wheels, Vs our 18" on everything except the base 2WD model.

If I hadn't seen that, I'd have guessed that (all other things being equal - trim level/weight, tyre size) they should be very close.  The electric rear drive + differential adds less weight than a conventional shaft-driven AWD system, and there should be minimal extra drag when it's not in use.  Add to that it seems the rear Motor/Generator (as it's described in some Toyota statements on the Blog site) gives a bit of extra regen when slowing/braking, which may help a little.  AWD Energy monitor views on various YouTube reviews seem to support this.

So I'm expecting it to be very similar, but prepared for it to be slightly worse.  Having come close to spending a night in a car in heavy snow that wasn't forecast, it's a trade-off I'm happy to make, even if I never need it (will be fitting winter tyres when the time comes too, or at least all seasons).

I'm not really bothered about the economy, but the AWD apparently comes with more under carriage aerodynamics in the form of plastic guards/trays apparently. 

Put it this way, it's better on fuel that the 2013 2.2 d4d invincible we traded in. 

And it's quicker off the mark. 

18 hours ago, daiashthomas said:

What date did you get the 4wd model?
I was told that Toyota had said to our dealer they couldn't register any 4wd models until 1st of May.

I picked it up on the 30th April,  they had issues that day as the Tax Link to DVLA was down for most of the day,  but it came up around 3pm,  as I was due to collect it at 4,  they could get mine out,  not sure if that's Toyota's/your dealers reason,  Inchape in Basingstoke (my dealer) had to send almost new vehicle collections away with forecourt second hand cars that day as they could not register and tax new models due to the link being down.  I was lucky as I was late in the day, drove it out at 5.30 so I was still delayed!.  Its a beauty too, well pleased with it. It was out for delivery on 9th May,  so it was also early, but they had a lot of trouble getting cars out on the 30th for this reason.

• Like 1

I have ordered a Dynamic AWD with Premium pack on the 16th March my delivery estimates have gone from 6-8 weeks to mid June and now I am being told end July, my husband has said maybe it will be in time for the Sept registration, its very frustrating not getting a definitive answer.

I have ordered a Dynamic AWD with Premium pack on the 16th March my delivery estimates have gone from 6-8 weeks to mid June and now I am being told end July, my husband has said maybe it will be in time for the Sept registration, its very frustrating not getting a definitive answer.
Some people are being quoted October dates now. Looks like Toyota can't make them quick enough.

When I first enquired about a test drive late February, my salesman said he'd taken "about 20" orders from people who'd not even seen one.

When I got my first drive on 9th March, he said if I ordered that day it should arrive in June.  I was only able to have the car for 2 hours as there was a queue of people wanting it, and I delayed ordering until a further, longer drive.  I had hoped to wait to test an AWD version, and preferably see an Excel in the metal, but that would delay things too much and I ordered on 22 March after a 2 day test drive of their Dynamic 2WD model.  Delivery was still "about June".

My first update came in an email on 26 April, stating the car was "in build" and estimated at the dealership around 27 June, with the usual caveat that these dates are somewhat fluid.

I am a little concerned with having the registration in September, I am a female who works in an all male environment and can hear the jokes already 😉, I have emailed Toyota UK to ask if there is a supply and demand issue and also emailed my dealership to see what they say.

• Like 2

Had my wifes Auris hybrid serviced/mot'd today at our local Toyota dealer/ Took the opportunity to look over and sit in a Rav 4 in the showroom - a nice red one.  I can see why you guys who have got one on order have done that.  Dont know who sat in before and put the seat/steering position to where it was but I just slipped into the seat and felt very comfortable. I was well at home, then I remembered how much those beasts cost. I can dream though. 

• Like 1

Had my wifes Auris hybrid serviced/mot'd today at our local Toyota dealer/ Took the opportunity to look over and sit in a Rav 4 in the showroom - a nice red one.  I can see why you guys who have got one on order have done that.  Dont know who sat in before and put the seat/steering position to where it was but I just slipped into the seat and felt very comfortable. I was well at home, then I remembered how much those beasts cost. I can dream though. 
Test drive one.
lol

You'll end up ordering one then [emoji23]

I was a bit apprehensive about ordering one based on the price.

But now we've got it, I want to drive it for the sake of driving it [emoji23]

2 minutes ago, daiashthomas said:

Test drive one.  You'll end up ordering one then emoji23.png

That's how I got started on Hybrids 17 years ago!  On my 7th now (all Prius 'till now - RAV will by my 1st departure).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daiashthomas said:

Test drive one.
lol

You'll end up ordering one then emoji23.png

I was a bit apprehensive about ordering one based on the price.

But now we've got it, I want to drive it for the sake of driving it emoji23.png

“drive it for the sake of driving it” ....... that’s exactly how I felt about the 2 Prius’s I have owned, gen3 then Gen4..... and still do. Just love driving it. Glad you like your Rav

• Like 1

Ok, now it's getting frustrating-not only am I reading about you lucky early adopters collecting your new toys, but I'm seeing them on my daily Nottingham to Brum commute ( a red 'un yesterday morning-DON'T even ask me why I'm not allowed to have the red), and a dark blue one cruised past me (doing 80+, so obviously testing everything works!) on the way home. Had a polite response from Toyota fleet marketing advising me that our company fleet department will keep me updated. An update duly arrived yesterday with the date still at Sept 16th, so I guess I'll be a 69-er like Michelle. D'oh!

Someone lend Toyota some ships, pronto. Can you guys who have already collected confirm they've come from Japan and not Ontario, Canada...-surely Hank and Buddy could make a few with the steering wheel on the right.....

Tick tock.....

Ok, now it's getting frustrating-not only am I reading about you lucky early adopters collecting your new toys, but I'm seeing them on my daily Nottingham to Brum commute ( a red 'un yesterday morning-DON'T even ask me why I'm not allowed to have the red), and a dark blue one cruised past me (doing 80+, so obviously testing everything works!) on the way home. Had a polite response from Toyota fleet marketing advising me that our company fleet department will keep me updated. An update duly arrived yesterday with the date still at Sept 16th, so I guess I'll be a 69-er like Michelle. D'oh!
Someone lend Toyota some ships, pronto. Can you guys who have already collected confirm they've come from Japan and not Ontario, Canada...-surely Hank and Buddy could make a few with the steering wheel on the right.....
Tick tock.....
Japan mine was.
An educated guess would tell me the Canada plant is building LHD market Vehicles, which is why they have different specifications and extras we can't even specify.

I guess so Dai, I'm cancelling my planned visit to the Ontario visitor centre as I type this.

Not having had a Toyota for a few years, does anyone know whether the cruise control increase/decrease can be changed from 5mph steps to anything else? ie. 1 or 2mph, (not 20mph or more!)

The strong (Welsh?) sunlight in your photos meant I couldn't determine the colour, but your other posts confirm you chose wisely with the Grey. Btw the DVLC car tax web site don't know what colour it is either. 

Now, how many miles do I need to get to Japan....

I got a call from the dealer today, they received the number plate and VIN their system so.. Shouldn't be long now! 🙂

32 minutes ago, Van Helsings Monster said:

...does anyone know whether the cruise control increase/decrease can be changed from 5mph steps to anything else? ie. 1 or 2mph, (not 20mph or more!)...

Well, yes and no!

If you press the Cruise Control on/off button for more than 1½ sec, it turns on 'ordinary' (non-radar) CC.  In this case, holding the +/- buttons increments in 1 mph intervals.  But would anyone actually want to go back to this type of CC?

While in Adaptive CC, there's no easy way I've found.  It would matter less if the speedos weren't fudged to over-read - what I sometimes do is set the speed 5 mph above the limit while the car is accelerating towards that speed (e.g. in a 50 limit, set it to 55), then as I hit the speed I want (say, 53), I quickly press cancel then set.  Fiddly, but with practice becomes a reflex action.

From what that manual says, there is another way, but again, probably not practical - buy one in a non-EU (and non-UK) country - apparently the rest of the world gets 1 mph increments - don't ask me why!

BTW, in the new RAV4, when the system has (correctly) recognised a speed limit sign, pressing and holding + or - as appropriate jumps straight to that speed.  For example, if you're in a 30 limit and pass a 50 limit sign, holding the + button sets the CC target straight to 50.

1 hour ago, daiashthomas said:

Japan mine was.
An educated guess would tell me the Canada plant is building LHD market Vehicles, which is why they have different specifications and extras we can't even specify.

Although at least one feature (the digital rear view mirror) was on a German car reviewed on a YouTube video.

I notice there's one thing on ours that the US/Canadian cars don't seem to have - the Speed Limiter.  The left side of the CC button ring is blank on every picture I've seen of US and Canadian cars' steering wheels.

Although at least one feature (the digital rear view mirror) was on a German car reviewed on a YouTube video.
I notice there's one thing on ours that the US/Canadian cars don't seem to have - the Speed Limiter.  The left side of the CC button ring is blank on every picture I've seen of US and Canadian cars' steering wheels.
Other markets also have wireless QI charging in some models, and heated and air conditioned seats front and rear.

Japan can make them quick enough for the demand, so I think Toyota have possibly out a limit on each dealership for orders per month or something. 

Ordered mine mid march picked it up last Friday evening. 

When we collected it, they said if we were placing an order now for ours (awd excel) we'd be waiting til October. 

It's definitely worth the wait! 

• Like 1

Hi Ashley, 

Did you test drive the 2WD before ordering, if so how does the AWD compare ?