Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Continuously Variable Valve Lift Controller defected

Milann

Hi ppl,

I bought Toyota Avensis sport touring model (t28/2015) a few months ago. The price was fair enough (13k) for 103k on the clock. I have made an inspection before I bought and everything seemed normal. I draw the car for one month and then I got a specific combination of error lights on my dashboard and that has lead to loss of power. I was unable to exceed more than 20mph.

I took the car to the official Toyota service and they restart the complete system. After a while, it drives normally again.

Last week it happened again. In the Toyota service they told me that "Continuously Variable Valve Lift Controller" (222A037023) is defected,  and I need to replace. That cost 2000e (1650e for the part and 350e for the work). I am a bit shocked. I guess the guy who sold me the car know of this problem, and that's why he put the price lower for ~3k.

Has anyone run into the same problem?

What would you do if you are in my situation? Should I just believe what they said in Toyota and change that part, or it can be something else causing the problem?

Many thanks all

Milan

That's a pretty hefty price for a part that looks mostly mechanical, did you get the price yourself, or from the place that would be replacing it?

I see the same part online being sold online, new, for 1/2 of what they want you to pay for it.  I would find a non authorized service to do the replacement, and get the part myself.

Could not find the exact location on the car for it, but according to this diagram, it's on the outside of the engine, and does not seem that hard to replace, so even the quote for replacing it is a bit bloated

1515928370164_bulletin

Or you can find a wrecked Avensis, scavenge the part off of it, i guess price might be 1/2 to 2/3 of a new one.

Hi Furtula,

First of all thanks for answering. I got an offer from the official Toyota dealer from Berlin. They have shown me the price of the part on their screen, and they need to order it. I can use the car for now, but they said it's not safe for driving, because I can get the same problem again.

One of the options is to find another service to do the replacement. I guess I will get for 1/2 off their price like you said. If you know some resource where I can order this part, would be very grateful!

Sorry, I have made a mistake, this is the original number of the part 222A0-37014

You have a member here named Parts-King who  can get you a quote on the part with maybe some discount, does not hurt to ask + shipping to DE.

Or you can go to http://www.japan-parts.eu/, enter VIN number and locate the part, click on the part number and there's an option to inquire about the price, so you can use that too to get some numbers. 

You can even get the part off of eBay, if the price is right, the choice is yours.

If you still want to get that part installed at the authorized dealer, they will probably accept, but you wont get any warranty on work done.

Hi Furtula, will do it, thanks! I am only concern is this cause the real problem or it can be something else, such as bad engine oil etc.? Should I believe in their diagnostic and change this part?

I got this two error code:

P1605

P2647

They have access to extensive documentation provided by Toyota when troubleshooting this, so i would trust their diagnosis.

As for the fault codes, i don't have any Avensis documentation to verify those, so maybe someone else will come by and check.

When I was researching buying a T27 Avensis I discovered that the valve lift controller is a fairly common failure anytime after 60-70k.  Seems like its he sensor that fails so I'm not sure it relates to oil changes etc.  The replacement part is remarkably expensive from the dealer. There is a Japanese company supplying via eBay at slightly lower prices but you have to wait for it to arrive from Japan.

P1605 simply relates to a rough idle.

P2647 relates to the valve lift controller being stuck in the ON condition. There is a procedure to actively test the controller:

Follow these procedures to confirm normal operation of the VALVEMATIC system.

• Connect the GTS to the DLC3.

• Start the engine.

• Turn on GTS.

• Enter the following menus: Powertrain / Engine and ECT / Active Test / Activate the VALVEMATIC (ENG ON) / All Data / VALVEMATIC Current Angle and VALVEMATIC Target Angle.

Note:

During the Active Test, the following conditions must be met.

• The engine is running.

• Coolant temperature is 40 ° C (104 ° F) or higher.

• Car stopped.

• The shift lever is in the P or N position (neutral).

Result
    "VALVEMATIC Current Angle" corresponds to "VALVEMATIC Target Angle".
Tip:

If the malfunction does not occur again, use the engine coolant temperature and intake air temperature from the fixed parameter set data and perform a test simulating the conditions of the malfunction.

In case of abnormal Active Test results, remove the stepless valve lift controller assembly from the camshaft housing and perform the "Activate the VALVEMATIC (ENG OFF)" test in Active Test mode with the stepless valve lift controller removed to determine the cause of the fault - stepless valve lift controller assembly or camshaft housing.

DESCRIPTION OF THE CONTROL SYSTEM WORK

When the EDU in the stepless valve lift controller assembly determines that the control unit is not working despite the EDU commands, and the control unit is energized, a DTC is recorded and the MIL is lit.

CHECK RIDE

• Connect the GTS to the DLC3.

• Start and warm up the engine.

• Turn on GTS.

• Remove the DTCs.

• Turn off the ignition and wait at least 30 seconds.

• Start the engine and let it idle for 20 s.

• Turn on GTS.

• Remove the DTCs.

• Start the engine and let it idle for 20 s.

• Set the ignition switch to the ON position.

• Turn on GTS.

• Enter the following menus: Powertrain / Engine and ECT / Trouble Codes.

• Read the DTCs.

CAUTION / NOTE / NOTE

Note:

If one of the following DTCs is stored and the MIL is lit, DTC P1047 is registered and the position of the control unit is adjusted each time the engine is started. In addition, after the restoration of normal system operation in the first cycle of motion, the following operations are performed: 1) DTC P1047 is stored; 2) adjust the position of the control unit; 3) while adjusting the position of the control unit, the MIL is lit.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys for the help! I will definitely order online and change it in some non authorised service. Will cost 1/2 less 🤞

• 7 months later...

I got the valvematic assembly from a junk yard.I replaced and it worked 

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Dear Moses: how long was You Premio worked after replaced "Continuously Variable Valve Lift Controller" ? Your experience is interesting to me, because I am having the same diagnosis in Verso 1,8 litre / 108kW valvematic engine. My Verso is having milage 168 kilometer (104  miles).

In my case the oil burning started earlier the second problem with "Continuously Variable Valve Lift Controller". Oil burning I having 1 liters per 3500 kilometers (2174 miles). If someone agree that problems are interrelated?  I'm angry for my own, that I was not looking to solve problem with oil. Now I have problems two in total. In doubt if my Verso still reparable, when 12 years of age. 

image.thumb.png.f386b741e91963a8afa33d4479bf1a45.png

I correct myself: 168000 kilometers (104000  miles)