Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DIY Clutch Replacement

Kazteel

Hi,

Cannot remember the exact way that bearing goes back in, but the attached US manual pdf  and zipped photo might help along with the pic.

Whatever you do, really check on what you should and should not lubricate, if the bearing has a plastic type of central sleeve then typically they require no lubrication on that part of the input shaft, but an old fashioned metal ones do.  NOTE that the photo shows the lubrication points for the Metal sleeve bearing, your new one will probably be a type of plastic which are self lubricating.  - check with the manufacturers web site if in doubt .

The grooved end of the input shaft does require a little lubrication.

Do not put any grease on the clutch cover or the front face of the bearing  !

I had mine on stands like yours but also put some timber etc under as well as its too easy to rock the car on the stands when heaving the gearbox in and out.

Are you east or west coast timeline ?

42 - Clutch.pdf 001700.7z

I am on central time :P I'm in chicago area, and can I tell you how much I love you? That pdf gave me all the torque specs I was worried about trying to find when I started reassembly lol, you the man!

Ugh now I need to go out to the parts store to get a 12 point socket to fit the flywheel bolts, if its not one thing its another lol

1 hour ago, Kazteel said:

Ugh now I need to go out to the parts store to get a 12 point socket to fit the flywheel bolts, if its not one thing its another lol

Why  ?    is your flywheel face that bad it needs replacing or skimming ?

Generally as long as its looks flat and no really bad scores etc then it should be ok.

Mine was quiet smooth and glossy so stayed on.

What I did later learn that because it had a glossy /mirror-ish finish it would have been better you give it a careful rub down with some fine emery paper to give it a matt effect  to aid grip, though it still worked fine for me as is.

001706.jpg

Im replacing the flywheel because it came with the deal I got on the clutch set. Might as well since I'm already in there. yaknow?

And in the midst of everything, I just realised, somehow although the speedo clip was the first clip i undid when I started undoing clips, somehow got snagged and pulled the leads out of the clip, here are the pictures, does anybody know where I can find the wiring order for this? one wire is red/white the other is red/black

IMG_20190608_084523.jpg

IMG_20190608_084544.jpg

5 minutes ago, Kazteel said:

And in the midst of everything, I just realised, somehow although the speedo clip was the first clip i undid when I started undoing clips, somehow got snagged and pulled the leads out of the clip, here are the pictures, does anybody know where I can find the wiring order for this? one wire is red/white the other is red/black

Hi,

Did you see the PM I sent you, that should help  - should be in your messages folder ...

1 minute ago, Kazteel said:

roger that, thank you

Will have a look at mine , perhaps they use the same colour code, but have to go out now, 3pm,  for a couple of hours, but will let you know this evening.

Think you will find that switch, if its the one on the top of the gearbox, is the backup light switch.

If yours has ABS then believe the speed etc is taken from that, unlike the older models which did have gearbox drive.

Being a switch it should not matter which way around they go, but on mine the Red with White goes towards the bulkhead when in the connector.

Thx OC ❤️ The only other thing I have to ask is, is a car able to run without a clutch pilot bearing? Because I do not see one on the flywheel as of right now and I have not done anything to remove one if there was one. I've looked all over the garage floor to see if maybe it fell off somewhere, but I cant find anything, so I think I'm just going to install the new bearing with the new flywheel and call it a day.

Hi,

Did wonder the same when I did mine, but no, there is no pilot bearing, well not on the UK 1.6 models, nothing shown r mentioned  in that US 1.8 pdf either.

Should have said about that Red and White wire towards the bulkhead,  when the connectors release button  is facing the left hand wheel.

As long as everything would fit fine, do you see a problem with me putting the pilot bearing in anyways as long as it fits correctly? Even though it doesnt require it, I dont see why the extra support to the shaft would be a bad thing.

2 hours ago, Kazteel said:

As long as everything would fit fine, do you see a problem with me putting the pilot bearing in anyways as long as it fits correctly? Even though it doesnt require it, I dont see why the extra support to the shaft would be a bad thing.

Are you saying your clutch kit, inc flywheel came with a pilot bearing ?

I would not add or remove any part from the standard layout, unless its something thats been done lots of times before as detailed on the North American Toyota forums which feature your 1.8 engine and gearbox,  our standard engines are 1.4 and 1.6 petrol, there is a 1.8 but thats a much higher spec and very few around.

Does the input shaft end look polished as if its been running on a bearing ? 

I just rechecked the input shaft and it does not have the nipple at the end of the shaft, so I'm gonna go ahead and say I wont put it in and that it is not shiny because it hasnt been running on a bearing. Time to crank this bad boy back together!

So far so good, got flywheel on, bolts in with blue lock tite and torqued to spec, with the extra 90 degree turn. clutch and pressure plate are on, also with locktite and torqued to spec with the clutch centered and spines aligned with the gearbox, via the clutch alignment tool. Gearbox is on my transmission lift and up to the clutch assembly, gonna finish this bad boy up tomorrow 😄

All sounds good :biggrin:

Just make sure you refill the gearbox with oil before starting the engine ( as i did for a few seconds before realizing   :blush:  )

Good thing you caught it that soon, I'm pretty sure damage can happen very quickly if theres no oil o.o

I'm so mad right now, no matter what I do I cant get that friggen gearbox onto the spindle the right way, and when it feels like I do, theres a whole gap between the gearbox and where it connects to the transmission. So big infact that I cant get any bolts threaded through to hold the damn thing up and I cant figure out what in the world is keeping in from sliding in and lining up. The clutch is perfectly centered in the pressure plate, so what the heck in the problem?!

Hi,

Before you fitted the clutch, did you place the clutch plate onto the input shaft to -

1. ensure it fitted ok and that there was no manufacturing swarf on the plate centre making it a tight fit.

2. to help spread the lubrication on just than splined end of the input shaft, carefully wiping away any excess.

Are the centre 'pilot'  holes of the old and new flywheels the same diameter and depth?

Same for the clutch cover and release bearing, both the same size , nothing too big causing the obstruction.

It can take a few attempts to engage the input shaft splines and if the plate was not fully aligned when fitted,  you will struggle.

If all above ok, put a spanner on the crankshaft pulley and turn it about 90deg so the plate present differently ...

Yeah, I made sure the clutch fit snuggly onto the shaft and everything matched up just fine, the only thing I can think of is somehow the clutch got out of wack. But Im gonna try one last thing tomorrow and then see what happens from there

I think you got to use some elbow grease now...I remember wiggling the gear box in, you got to ease the weight of the box off the trolly and twist back and forth a bit, keeping it parallel while you do that.

1 hour ago, roks said:

I think you got to use some elbow grease now...I remember wiggling the gear box in, you got to ease the weight of the box off the trolly and twist back and forth a bit, keeping it parallel while you do that.

+1

On 6/11/2019 at 3:04 AM, oldcodger said:

+1

easier said than done, remember im doing this on a transmission jack and I dont have an overhead jack, which if I do end up having to do something like this again, I'll make sure to get a cherry picker type of lift seeing as i can just bolt on a few chains and wiggle it around freely, I think my biggest issue was the fact that transmission jack was actually kinda leaning to one side due to the ackward weight of the gearbox that I had to crank that bish down so it wouldnt fall on concrete and crack itself apart. So I think that was my issue

Think if you can check the clutch plate is still in line by using a rod or something similar through the cover.

As well as a trolley jack to raise the gearbox  up off the floor, I used a beam and chain that allowed it to be suspended and therefor a lot easier to wrestle around to get it to engage with the plate, it does go in with a bit of a push,  the relief  when it does is quiet something after all that sweat !

001716.jpg

• Like 1