Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Yaris 1.4 D-4D oil type ?

Golday

Hi guys, i jut got a toyota a few days ago and i was looking to change the oil since i dont know when was the least time it was change. The air filter and cabine filters were like new tho. 
The problem i have is i dont know what oil to use ? Manual says 5W-30, but my mechanic suggests  5W-40 since the car has 200K KM on the clock.
What oil are you using for your car with similar KM ? 

Any 5W-30 oil meeting API SL, SM or SN will be fine. As far as I'm aware Shell Helix HX8 ECT 5W-30 is API SL. See 

On 5/6/2019 at 9:51 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Any 5W-30 oil meeting API SL, SM or SN will be fine. As far as I'm aware Shell Helix HX8 ECT 5W-30 is API SL. See 

What about the 5W-40 by Shell ?  
PS: Where i live temps very rarly go under 0. 

Should be OK provided it is API SL, SM or SN. The thicker oil at normal operating temperature may mean the engine is slightly less efficient, but some people say a thicker oil is better for high mileage engines. 

People recommend thicker oils for high mileage engines due to wear and tear, cranshaft, piston rings, cylinder block etc get worn with mileage and the thinner the oil you use the easier it is to leak through the gap and either oil will end up getting burned in the engine or on the floor.

If you are certain that your engine seals are passing a bit a higher viscosity oil will most likely solve your issue however it wont help the operation of your engine, especially in cold weather countries.

Between 5w30 and 5w40 is not much of difference so i wouldn’t worry much for now.

whatever oil you use check your oil level on a regular basis and see whether your engine is using oil or not and then decide which way to go.

lower viscocity oil it will help the engine operation and possibly your engine will use some of your oil

hgher viscosity will compromise your engine operaration with th hope to solve your sealing issue due to wear and tear

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links