Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

RAV4 2019 Defogging procedure

LesU

Soon to be the owner of a Design AWD, so I've been looking at the owner's manual to get a feel for the car's operation.

I don't fully understand what needs to be done for defogging/icing before driving away and demisting while in traffic.

I have only possessed Fords and Volvos up to now and have therefore had front heated windscreens. I realise that I'm not getting that on the new car.

What I have had in the past and still have on my current Fiesta is a single demist/de-ice button. It switches on all of the electric window heaters, turns up the fan to max, selects max. temperature, switches the airflow to the windscreen and turns on the ac. When all is done another push of the button reverts everything back to as it was. I can't find anything like that on the new car. Will I have to press/set all of the buttons individually and then push/reset them all afterwards?

I'm also confused as to what the windscreen defogging button actually does, as the manual tells you to press it and then 'turn up the airflow and temperature'. So does it just divert airflow to the windscreen?

The other question is stop/start driving in the winter, say in traffic. I assume the car will be in EV mode when stopped or very slow. Does demist still work if the engine isn't running?

If I start to fog up in traffic what is the procedure to follow?

I've no insight into the RAV4.5, but if it's anything like the 4.4. that I have now, or the 4.3 I had before, the process isn't too complicated. If the windscreen requires de-misting or de-icing simply press the windscreen de-mist button to enable that function on the automatic air conditioning. Once the screen is clear, simply press the same button again to de-activate the function. Repeat as necessary ...

The system simply directs warm, dry air to the screen. While in operation it will ensure that the air conditioning is on (to dry the air), turn up the fan speed and direct air to the screen. You can manually mess with the settings if you want or you can let the system do everything for you ...

And if you do mess with the settings, simply pressing Auto will reinstate the system automatic configuration for you. The only setting that you really need to choose your preferred temperature within the car ...

Oh, and if it's anything like my diesel, the air con system is electric.

As Philip says, and yes, A/C is electric.

When selecting the windshield defogger switch, it will also frequently select outside air if it's set to recirc.

Selecting the defogger switch will usually prevent (or cancel) EV mode as it often needs the engine running to heat the air flow.

Often, just leaving the A/C on all the time and the system in Auto minimises the risk of fogging, and the effect on mpg is barely noticeable.  If it does start to fog up, selecting outside air may help without resorting to the defogger switch, which does tend to crank to the fan noise somewhat.

Probably obvious that the rear screen heater switch also heats the door mirrors.

2016-11-01.jpg

This is what I was worried about. Having done a test drive and not being able to tell at the start that I had switched the vehicle on, apart from the display showing up. I thought 'there is no engine running, what is going to defrost everything'? It sounds like the defogger starts the engine to get some heat and electricity. I normally tend to leave the ac on and in auto anyway, so this sounds like a good setting, especially in winter. So 'F' and 'G' buttons should be enough, hopefully, to get me going in the winter mornings.

Really looking forward to picking the car up. Ordered 22nd April. Just been informed handover on 14th May.:clapping:

18 minutes ago, LesU said:

...not being able to tell at the start that I had switched the vehicle on, apart from the display showing up...

It soon  feels normal.

I've gone the other way, when driving a non-hybrid I find it really annoying that the engine is running when it doesn't need to.  Even traffic jams seem less stressful in a Hybrid.  [Same would apply in an EV as long as you're not watching your range vaporise!]

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links