Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lost market, poor quality

Lola Zamoi

Having owned Toyota's since 1973 I now find their cars inferior, parts from around the world. Shock absorber change at 45,000 miles. Light control stem faulty, side mirror motor refused to open fully, faults in the gearbox, reversing sensor not operating correctly, wild noise and vibration from the rear of the car. 5000 miles since last service and the petrol engine runs like a diesel, uneven idling. No, in the 46 years of being a loyal Toyota fan I must now admit they produce junk.

Toyota warranties are of no value, they argue and argue. How does a faulty reversing sensor become the fault of the driver, or, a faulty side mirror, banging shock absorbers, wobbling wheels - which are the sign of poor quality German bearings. They use junk to produce what was a highly sort out vehicle.

Now a serious think as Toyota in a score of 1-100 would receive a total of 1 point, the car was made 1 point

Sorry to hear that you are disappointed. It is true that Toyota quality is no more as good as it was in the past. I have driven Toyota since 1983 and I have to say that Japan made cars were better. Due the globalization (if this is the right word) and custom politics car manufacturers are forced to set up their factories all around the world. And use cheaper parts... Subcontractors quality control may not always be as good as possible.

But still I think that Toyota has little bit better price/quality ratio than many others?

• Like 1

I feel that's harsh to say the least.....I would still rate Toyota as one the better manufacturers.

I have been a Toyota buyer for many years and always had the most reliable service from all of them..including the two we have now.

I "confess" that my V6 Estima is a JDM imported vehicle and is superb in every way.

I think the OP has perhaps just been unlucky, but to say that Toyota produce "junk" is frankly nonsense IMO.

• Like 1

The OP hasn't been clear on which of the three vehicles in their profile the issues relate to, nor have they been clear over what period of time the issues occurred. The youngest of their cars is now 7 years old (Yaris - where the new car warranty ended in 2017) and the other two, 11 and 18 years old (Avensis). As they posted in the Avensis club, are the issues relating to one or both of their Avensis - who knows?

Presumably the warranty complaint is regarding the new car warranty - or is it an extended warranty? Again the OP hasn't said.

If the OP is expecting Toyota to respond via these forums, they will be disappointed, as we have no association with Toyota.

We've owned six Toyotas from new, and the issues we've had over our periods of ownership are as follows:

1996 Corolla 1.3 - none

1998 Corolla 1.3 - none

2006 Corolla 1.4 - tailgate struts replaced under warranty

2009 Auris 1.33 - passenger side cup holder replaced under warranty

2012 Auris 1.33 - tailgate struts replaced under warranty

2016 Aygo  - oxygen sensor replaced under warranty.

The warranty repairs (the oldest of which was in 2009) were all completed quickly and without quibble by two Toyota dealers.Three of the cars were British built, and the current one, Czech built.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's quite an interesting way of setting things out Frosty.

Carina II 1.6GL (1989). No mechanical faults. This was dads car.

Carina II 1.6XL (1990) Clutch and flywheel replaced in first year. Known issue following change to asbestos free linings. Central locking switch/motor drivers door replaced under warranty.

Carina E 1.6GL (1994) Central locking fault repaired under warranty. Instrument cluster replaced under warranty (gauges and rev counter would fall to zero).

Corolla TSport (2002) Weeping front shock absorber at around four years old. Only 3 yr warranty back then. No other faults in 8 years. 

Corolla 1.4 4 door (2003). This one was built in Turkey. Sticking brake caliper at 14 years old. We still have the car.

Auris 1.33 (2010) no faults.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All modern cars (for sale within Europe at least) are built of thinner steel etc. than they were 40 years ago. They are also stronger/safer due to improved engineering, materials & systems.

However, they also are a lot more complicated in terms of engine & electronics & these days it is these complications that tend to fail before basic structures. They are not designed to last for 20+ years (HonestJohn claims that they are designed for a 7/8 year life - the manufacturers after all want to sell you a new one at some point).

In 3 Avensis I, so far (touch wood), have only had to seek recourse to warranty twice - once on my T25 with a weeping waterpump as it came to the end of it's warranty & my last Avensis with the door cracking issue on the driver's door - both were dealt with easily, promptly at no cost to me so I must disagree with the assertion that Toyota's customer service/warranty is worthless. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I could tell you some horror stories from the late eights and the crap they sold the public lol as my dad used to say you don't know how lucky you are now days lol